Penny Cut

hotshot

I very rarely cut a penny, less than 4 ever I think.  Thought I would give it a shot.  I don't need a cheater for anything down to a quarter in size, but the penny falls well outside that tolerance, but hey, look at that pretty cheat piece.  The cheater made a nice bonus piece too.  The cheater (Oily Jig) in this case was thick enough that it made the cutting harder than normal.  Lesson to me, keep those cheaters super thin.

gallery_1770_540_2226.jpg

gallery_1770_540_9374.jpg

Edited by hotshot

Hotshot, so good to see a cut coin again. I have missed viewing them.  That is a great one.  Well done.  Any idea what it says? 

Curious have you been following the jig Steve Good has come up with for coin cutting?  I know you don't use one, but us old shaky guys, would something like that help?

I watch with interest at the Jigs Steve makes, but for the size of coins these typical hold, I usually hold those by hand.  For most folks that just want to give it a try, I think they are great and give them confidence.  More than anything, Steve is giving some visibility to cutting metal, which is think needs some exposure.  However, for coin cutting, I believe there is a much simpler and easier way. 

I call my jig the "Oily" jig, in honor of Oily from the SSWC forums who had been doing this a while and gave me the method.  He passed away some time back and is missed.  The advantages of just putting a small puddle of superglue on a thin piece of wood, and sinking that coin into it are these:

1.  The thin wood helps support the fragile pieces.  With other Jigs, the entire center is just hanging.

2.  Since it is low to the table, you can easily manipulate the piece as you would any regular fretwork piece.  I steer with my finger tips, giving me very good accuracy.  This would be harder on a bulky jig.

3.  It fits any size and shape of coin.

4.  You can cut irregular shapes, which you can not do with Steve's  jig.  If your piece is cut out from the coin, then a jig that holds the coin from the outside just won't work.

5.  With the Oily jig, you get a bonus piece in wood, often more detailed that what is possible in wood alone.

So, Steve is a great guy and helping the over all hobby by giving coin cutting some visibility.  However, if someone was serious about getting into coin cutting, I think the Oily jig is a much superior mechanism for those that don't think they can hang on to the coin, or for small coins.  But, there is room for all schools of thought, and that is just mine.

Edited by hotshot

. . . . . Any idea what it says?  . . . . . 

This was a pattern drawn by a local High Schooler and is the Kanji Symbol for love.  I have decent variety of these Kanji patterns.  If any one want to try one, the patterns can be downloaded from http://www.coincutting.com

Edited by hotshot

Randy,

Very nice. I've cut some stamp puzzles but not coins.

What kind of blade do you use? And what kind of drills for piercing the coin?

Also, do you have to take any special precautions re dust control when cutting metal?

Thanks,

bb

Good thing about coin cutting, no dust . . . . that I know off.  The shaving fall straight down, so I can cut in the house without creating a mess.

I use Pike Jewelers blades which are made by the same folks that make Pegas.  For this cut, I used mainly #2/0 Jewelers.  Drill Bits are #72, but for this pattern, you could get by with 1/16 on a Kennedy or Quarter.  Don't buy small drill bits from FD for these, buy from Sloans or other trusted source.

Edited by hotshot

Good thing about coin cutting, no dust . . . . that I know off.  The shaving fall straight down, so I can cut in the house without creating a mess.

I use Pike Jewelers blades which are made by the same folks that make Pegas.  For this cut, I used mainly #2/0 Jewelers.  Drill Bits are #72, but for this pattern, you could get by with 1/16 on a Kennedy or Quarter.  Don't buy small drill bits from FD for these, buy from Sloans or other trusted source.

Thanks Randy! i checked on the Pike's blades and there is a ad to buy the lubricant. Do you use the lube?

https://www.amazon.com/Eurotool-Cut-Lube-2-oz/dp/B003Y09L44/ref=pd_bxgy_236_img_3/142-5977672-3945303?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B003Y09L44&pd_rd_r=VRXY9ZZFR72NRJA9ME4J&pd_rd_w=EJgWT&pd_rd_wg=Rmy7q&psc=1&refRID=VRXY9ZZFR72NRJA9ME4J

bb

I tried the wax Stick sold by Sloans, and it was pretty worthless.  This might be better, and it is cheap and on Amazon Prime, so I clicked "Buy".  I'll let you know how it does.  I've been using 3 and 1 oil for drilling, this might be a decent alternative to that also.  We shall see.

If I remember rightly your penny is about the size of our 5c, which is our smallest coin, but don't hold me to that with my memory it could be that the penny is a lot bigger.  I love your coins and I keep promising myself that I will cut one but other things get in the way and the coins go onto the back burner, but maybe one day.......

Marg