Double Bevel Inlay

hotshot

Ok, I'm sure some of you were hoping this was in wood . . . in time, I'll get back to wood, but I just need to get metal out of my system first. In any case, you have to admit, you have probably never seen this done with coins before :-)

The gold/bronze inlayed coin is a Greek 100 Drachma, the copper is a Provident Mint coin. Blade was 2/0, angle for inlay was just under 8 degrees. You can't really tell it in the picture, but I lucked out and the inlay is perfectly flush and tight. I'll probably drill a hole in the top for a chain or something.

-----Randy

COIN_INLAY.jpg.170a979ae43d3da7b570e4082e342c3d.jpg

4 hours ago, dgman said:

You've outdone yourself Randy! I know you said the inlay is flush and tight, but did you have to glue it in or solder it?

Used CA glue to make sure it doesn't come out.  Over time, I'm not sure if it will hold, I'll have to see.  A real Jeweler probably would have silver soldered it.

Edited by hotshot

2 hours ago, Gordster said:

Randy,that is Amazing. ..to get  that to fit with 7 or 8 degrees must

have been some feeling for you.

I didn't have much scrap in that thickness to test on, but I found a big enough piece to cut a few really small test circles, and when I thought I was close, I tweaked the angle up just a little to be tight.  I was relieved it worked.