You idea on gluing.

Dave Monk

I am thinking about making this box. Do you have any suggestions on gluing the the inside of the box to the bottom. As thin as it is I am concerned with glue squeezing out all over. The only thing I can think of is to clean it up with a wet rag and hope it finishes O. K. Gluing the outside to the top isn't a problem because I can keep the glue to the outside. If it squeezes out I can sand it off. I would appreciate any input. Thanks

dragonbox.pdf

Edited by Dave Monk

Dave

On a shallow box like that, you can put painters tape on the inside of the bottom of the box and along the sides too. Put the sides on the base, mark it carefully then us a straight edge and a sharp razor blade to trim the tape. Apply a small bead of glue to the bottom of the sides and glue the bottom together. Once the glue is set you can peel the tape out of it and apply finish. I hope this makes sense. 

Edited by WayneMahler

Dave, for a glue-up like this, I would use gel-type CA glue. It doesn't dry as fast as regular CA does, so you have a dew seconds to work with it. Just apply a small bead around the edge of the box, then set it in place with some weight on top of it. I've done this many times, and I've never had an issue with them.

Len

I like Wayne's idea, but here's how I do it. I use Aleene's tacky glue. I apply  a very thin bead with a tooth pick then using the toothpick wipe off the excess. Then carefully apply the piece to the base and clamp it up. If you get squeeze out, wipe it off with a clean toothpick. This glue is very thick and easily wipes off without soaking into the wood. I use Aleen's tacky glue for everything that needs gluing on all my scrollsaw crafts.

2 hours ago, WayneMahler said:

Dave

On a shallow box like that, you can put painters tape on the inside of the bottom of the box and along the sides too. Put the sides on the base, mark it carefully then us a straight edge and a sharp razor blade to trim the tape. Apply a small bead of glue to the bottom of the sides and glue the bottom together. Once the glue is set you can peel the tape out of it and apply finish. I hope this makes sense. 

I'm with Wayne on this!

This is not in answer to your question but I think I should pass it on every once in a while.When using tight bond glue and you need to take your project apart because you glued it wrong The only tihg I have found is to soak it in vinegar, It just makes the glue soft and can be taken apart, It does take some time I had to do it a couple of weeks ago and it had to soak for about 3 hours but it did come apart with out any damage to my project. Thanks for letting me interrupt the discussion.

IKE