Cutting felt?

hawkeye10

I assume you are using stickyback felt. I would rough cut the shape with scissors and then stick it to the bottom and take a razor blade and trim the edges following the contour of the base. Do it all the time and it works fine but I am never in a hurry. Bad things happen when in a hurry. Do it right the first time.

47 minutes ago, oldhudson said:

I'd make a template from thin scrap pw or hardboard to layout the cuts and then cut with roller scissors like these https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Contour-Rotary-Cutter-195210-1001/dp/B000B7M8WU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494506019&sr=8-1&keywords=roller+scissors

Make sure you are on a good surface for cutting.

Berry what you suggested is what I was thinking about. I wasn't thinking about the rotary cutter. Thanks

40 minutes ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

I assume you are using stickyback felt. I would rough cut the shape with scissors and then stick it to the bottom and take a razor blade and trim the edges following the contour of the base. Do it all the time and it works fine but I am never in a hurry. Bad things happen when in a hurry. Do it right the first time.

John I do not use sticky back felt. I used it one time and it didn't come out good.

I made a bunch of felt badges for a school event and cut the pieces using the scroll saw. If you sandwich a bunch of felt between two pieces of thin plywood it will cut. If your shape is a simple rectangle, a razor or roller wheel will be faster. 

2 hours ago, MrsN said:

I made a bunch of felt badges for a school event and cut the pieces using the scroll saw. If you sandwich a bunch of felt between two pieces of thin plywood it will cut. If your shape is a simple rectangle, a razor or roller wheel will be faster. 

Miss Katie I would have never dreamed a scroll saw would cut that. I am cutting felt for 4" circles and went and bought a roller wheel but I didn't like that. I went back to my razor knife and did okay. I cut a pattern a little less than the 4" base then used the razor knife to cut around the pattern. If your using the roller wheel to cut a straight line it works great but for me the small circles is not a good idea.

The roller wheel cutter was meant to be used for straight line cutting of fabric which is the best way to cut it. It will not cut circles very well and could be a little dangerous to your fingers holding down the felt and maneuvering the cutter around. What MrsN says is true and it works very well, just be sure that the thin ply is pressed very tightly to the felt and there will be no problem cutting.

Erv