Do you keep a shop journal with notes on your projects?

SCROLLSAW703

I got to thinkin' about this yesterday while sitting here in my chair, hoping the room would soon stop spinnin'. My allergies have settled into my ears. My bride says no shop work til we see the Sawbones, so my mind spins, too.

I started keeping a journal recently on some different projects, mainly out of curiosity of time involved more than anything. But I also scribbled the wood species I used, blades, measurements, etc. In the 26 years I've been scrolling, I've never done this. I've found my memory ain't what it used to be, either.:( That was another reason for the journal.

I also scribbled down adjustments I made to the saw thru the coarse of the project. That didn't amount to much, but a reference i reckon. I don't consider myself perfect my no means, but I am a perfectionist. And no two projects turn out the same, at least for me.

So, I just thought I'd throw this out there & see what the rest of ya do, or think. Thank you in advance for your time & replies. 

I used to do that back when I did a lot of variations of projects.. now.. since my business.. I cut on a daily basis and everything is just natural work.. I can pretty much guess right down to within a 3-5 min. time frame as to how long a project is going to take me.. I also stack cut most everything that is possible to stack cut.. Pretty much only use one of two blades.. while I have a huge selection.. always go the the number 3 or 5 and depending on the saw I'm cutting on.. either a FD UR or a Pegas MG.. LOL

I give a lot of my pieces to our Church.  The Church gives them to people that come in with problems.  i.e. Marital, dealing with the death of a loved one, physical or mental abuse, etc. etc.  Therefore, I can give the same pattern any number of times.

Have learned to write the lumber dimensions & amount on the pattern.  Also, the resizing percentage.

I started mine about a year ago. First it was just the colors of the stains used for the projects. Then I could try different colors and see what worked best. Eventually I got into a full log. SIze, time, species etc. It helps when talking to a customer on a custom order where I have a general idea of time species and stuff. Makes giving them a closer "ball park " price to see if they are serious and interested.  Also aids in keeping working inventory in my shop. Good question, thanks for asking. Looking forward to other replies as well.

Not me, I don't even keep a photo journal of the things I make, I just never remember to take pictures. I probably would take pics and keep a photo journal, if I owned a cell-phone to take the pics with. I don't, and it's a lot of bother to keep running back and forth from the house to the workshop.

Len

For a long time I kept good notes, but I guess I getting lazy in my old age. (I'm a 'general' woodworker and not just a scroller.) And even though I'm mostly a hobbyist, I tried to track everything:

• what was made
  • Where the plans/pattern came from
  • what, if any, modifications I made to the plans/pattern
  • they type of wood(s). If I'm following plans I'd list any substitutions or stock that I choose to employ.
  • where I got the stock
  • careful notes on finishing, , colors, number of coats, blah, blah
  • who the project is made for, if not us
  • problems I encountered and what I did to resolve them
  • and how I install the project (for cabinets, shelving, special molding - especially if it's in someone else's house)
  • time
  • and charges if it was a custom job for cash or trade
  • and if a project had outside cost, other than the usual stuff, say glass for a cabinet door. Who I got it from and  what they charged.

At the back I keep a list of odd (rarely used tools/jigs)  and where I stashed them. An entry might read: Small cross cut sled: west wall of garage near ceiling.

I'm going to try and get back to that, it's really good to have a record.

Edited by oldhudson

1 hour ago, scrollin'fool said:

if youve got allergies in your ears you got a lot worse problems than keeping accurate notes of saw blade history.

but now you mention it, it might be a good idea to start something like that

I appreciate your concern, but I'm on the mend. The question was about whether or not you kept a shop journal, not just blade history. There are several reasons for keeping a journal. One was mentioned in dealing with customers. It does help, & speeds up estimates, & as stated, to find out if they're really interested. I was looking for other ideas for mine.

Oh, when I first started seriously scrolling, I did.  Wanted to keep track of time on a project.  Too much stress,,, I lasted 1 1/2  projects.. then forgot about it.  I think if I was doing it more for a business, I will keep track of things, but as a hobby, no.  I do pretty much keep a picture of everything I have built or scrolled. 

Edited by Scrappile

Well.. I guess I do keep track somewhat... If I modify a projects plans I keep that info in the electronic form.. I keep a folder separate from other pattern folders of all the items I cut and sell.. so if someone says they seen X picture online.. I can look in my folder for the pattern.. I also have these backed up on a external hard drive as well as burned onto a disc.. and lastly.. on a zip drive too... after loosing several patterns from a crashing external hard drive... I keep several copies around now :)  As for wood types.. I don't use many different types of wood for the items I sell.. I try to keep the business side of my sawing simple and streamlined 

11 hours ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

I got to thinkin' about this yesterday while sitting here in my chair, hoping the room would soon stop spinnin'. My allergies have settled into my ears. My bride says no shop work til we see the Sawbones, so my mind spins, too.

I started keeping a journal recently on some different projects, mainly out of curiosity of time involved more than anything. But I also scribbled the wood species I used, blades, measurements, etc. In the 26 years I've been scrolling, I've never done this. I've found my memory ain't what it used to be, either.:( That was another reason for the journal.

I also scribbled down adjustments I made to the saw thru the coarse of the project. That didn't amount to much, but a reference i reckon. I don't consider myself perfect my no means, but I am a perfectionist. And no two projects turn out the same, at least for me.

So, I just thought I'd throw this out there & see what the rest of ya do, or think. Thank you in advance for your time & replies. 

go to "eva fox home remides" she was true to her word i no longer have arthritis of 4years ,am free i 5 days like she said!Remidys for everything

I wrote the details of my projects down when I first started but that only lasted for about 4 projects. This site is pretty much my photo journal lol. Anything I've done has been posted on this site with a small description, other than my puzzles, they seem to disappear as soon as they are done. My wife hounds me to keep writing my notes down but that stems from the fact that I never write down a recipe either. I've made dozens of brisket/pork/rib rubs but I have never written anything down. I just get a general idea in my head and wing it.

I take pictures of all of my projects, I do keep a journal especially for  my magazine work. I have to track the time spent and if it is a complex project any notes or changes that need to be made to the design. I send all those notes with the completed project to SSWWC for the final article.

Edited by Rolf

yes they do, Dave! That's always the first thing they want to know, then what'll cost. I keep track of the amount of wood i use in every project. Sometimes it's not much, other projects use larger amounts. I buy my wood rough sawn & mill it in the shop to my needs for the project. I price out the cost of the wood/bdft + 25%. It may not make sense to some, but on smaller projects, it pays for the waste. I try to every inch I can to eliminate waste.

I also keep track, or try to, of the number of blades, & what sizes I use for that project so I can go back & look to check & have those blades at the saw. It eliminates keeping a number of different sizes at the saw. I keep a large inventory of blades of numerous sizes. 

I did and still do on the projects that are abit from norm. Maybe angles of cuts or size enlarged or reduced. Blades and things like that. I never did get into the photo of every project. Look back on it now I wish I had. Have made over 800 different projects in time. Kept a list because i number each project because I was selling in so many different stores and needed good account work for tax purposes. If you are making and giving away good for you but you are not a business and it means nothing to you. If you have some sort of business then some sort of records are needed. 

On 8/16/2017 at 1:52 PM, SCROLLSAW703 said:

If i kept a journal it would be like to much to save .I hate paper work!

I just take pictures of everything on my laptop and back up to a external hard drive sometimes I may write a special instruction on the photo about something I changed in the cutting process. I'm now looking for some free software to keep track of them all like a database sort of software. Roly