Selling online or those thinking about it..

kmmcrafts

This is why I say to everyone selling or thinking about selling your crafts online to do it the best legal way you can and know how.. and keep good bookkeeping records..  My cousin is a CPA and works for the state and is actually involved in these investigations... and she says most all states are going after this money from small online sellers.. also really watching how people claim there USE tax for online purchases from out of state.. ( you purchase things online you are supposed to claim those purchases under use tax so the state gets the % of sales taxes from your online purchase as if you purchased it local ) Not sure all states have the USE tax thing though.. Also while she claims they say they can only go back about 5-7 years.. she has personally seen them go after people more years than that.. mainly because there was a lot of $$ involved I believe.. Anyway.. just a heads up to keep excellent records.. 

Lawmakers Seek Taxes

Illinois has come up with the brilliant idea that if you make a certain amount of money through the year, they will charge you tax on purchasing online.  It doesn't matter how much you actually spend, if you make x dollars, send us y dollars for internet tax.  Even if you owe no other taxes, this has to be paid.

I choose only to work face to face with customers, on custom orders, and cash payment only for the half dozen or so projects I do a year.  Last year I made a wood dog kennel, a elliptical glass stop for a 75 year old oak door, an entertainment unit, display shelf, a couple of turned bowels, and made a couple of new cabinet doors. All interesting projects and within my skill set.  Making dust and having fun.