used dewalt

Young_Scroller

I got a used one for $175, and it is a model 1.  It has been working well for me, but I don't use it a lot.  The only way to tell is  to test it with a blade and some wood.  Give it a good run, using different speeds, and listen for odd noises and too much vibration.

The model  number is on the plate on the motor.  The older models were made in Canada and the model 2 were made in China.  The claim is the ones made in Canada probably had better quality control.

seen any pictures of it? are you close enough you could go take a look at the saw? I don't know the value of DeWalt's, but bein's it's a used saw, use caution.  I'm sure there'll be some others with more knowledge of it that can answer your question. We scrollers kinda stick together. ;)

Edited by SCROLLSAW703

4 hours ago, Young_Scroller said:

Found a used dewalt scroll saw for $150 and was wondering if it was worth it. He claims it was used very few times and it comes with a stand and a light. Im not sure whether it is the older or newer version but if I remember right the older model was better? Any help is appreciated!

-Joe

What you have there is a gold mine in exspencive parts should you ever need them if you get another Dewalt.At that price it's a steal.I bough my last one for $80.. and you would think it was a washing machine washing marbles .I never heard such a noise,Somethings really wore out and metal to metal .it sits on the floor while the other 9 are on the shelf.Guess i'bve had it for a year.I'm really curious as to whasts making all that noise.Type 2 were going thru miss matched table holes in china that's all i know about the 2's

I'd ask to start it up and give it a go and see how it worked, sounded, etc. Take a piece of wood and some blades to make sure you have what you need to give it a whirl.  I think a lot of people buy these and like he said with his - use it very few times - especially if you don't know that its harder to do when you are first starting out - especially if you are expecting to saw a straight line. ;)  Like others said - see if he will take less.  

Thanks to everyone for the help, I offered him $125 because I didnt want to low ball him and he said he didnt want to let it go for any less than $150 because he only used it once or twice but I was able to get him to throw in an old caftsman belt and disc sander for free without a motor. so now I need to find a cheap 1 hp motor somewhere for it. 

Now I need to know what kind of maintenance I need to keep this saw running well for as long as possible. Thanks again! 

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the link to a youtube video that will solve all your maintenance/fix-it questions. 

And here is another great site. http://www.scrollsaws.com/

Between these two sites, I can't think that you would have any unanswered questions. I have watched the first one twice and each time I got something new.

I hope that you get as much out of these sites as I did.

Ray