Marquetry ?

rjweb

I am very interested in marquetry. I took a class here in So Cal from Ken Cowell. There is a great book on it by the name of The Art of Marquetry by Craig Vandall Stevens. It explains the process very well. There is also a group of enthusiasts on Yahoo groups. You'll have to do a search for it.

Ray

Edited by octoolguy

I did some in the early seventies I made them as gifts for my family all were mountain scenes. They material was available back then from Constantines in the Bronx, NY. My sisters still have them.  It is very enjoyable as you play with wood color, grain selection.  It is beautiful on furniture  tops.

I now prefer intarsia as it adds another dimension.  

5 hours ago, NC Scroller said:

I have seen several demonstrations. They cut pieces of very very thin veneer. The demos I saw did all their cutting with a razor blade or exacto knife.  Even a scrollsaw with a 2/0 blade is too aggressive.  It is kinda like intarsia but 2 dimensional (no shaping and sanding).

The method I learned was using a scroll saw and 2/0 blades. I would never do it with a knife. Way to hard for my eyes and shakey hands.

Hi RJ. The traditional method of Marquetry is using veneers. The method I use is called Double Bevelled Marquetry using ⅛" exotic hardwoods with ⅛" backboard. I really enjoy this style of Marquetry and in the process of doing more of the traditional method. You too will love Marquetry being it can make many projects pop. Samples attached. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

4 hours ago, Ron Johnson said:

Hi RJ. The traditional method of Marquetry is using veneers. The method I use is called Double Bevelled Marquetry using ⅛" exotic hardwoods with ⅛" backboard. I really enjoy this style of Marquetry and in the process of doing more of the traditional method. You too will love Marquetry being it can make many projects pop. Samples attached. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Nice,Thanks!