Reaper

GPscroller

On 10/8/2017 at 10:40 AM, GPscroller said:

Pattern is Charles Dearing's, stack cut two 1/8th inch BB ply.  Measures 12 1/2 x 16 1/2.  Not sure whether to frame or cut backer board for it:?  Am also including pic of finished Viking #5 that Jan painted.

Jeff

IMG_0408.JPG

IMG_3079.JPG

Extremely well cut and finished.. Love them both.. I am going to assume that you are a spiral blade cutter. 

Dick

heppnerguy

6 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Humm, I like the backer you used to picture the Reaper, looks like dark of night with stars showing...  Seems to go with the whole thing.

What kind of paint does your wife use?

Thanks Paul.  She just uses craft paint that we purchase at the local Micheal's craft store.  The brand name of the main one she uses is "CraftSmart".

Jeff

2 hours ago, heppnerguy said:

Extremely well cut and finished.. Love them both.. I am going to assume that you are a spiral blade cutter. 

Dick

heppnerguy

Thanks Dick.  I only use flat blades, have tried spiral and had no success yet (there is still some hope that I will learn how to use them:cry::?).

Jeff

7 hours ago, GPscroller said:

Thanks Dick.  I only use flat blades, have tried spiral and had no success yet (there is still some hope that I will learn how to use them:cry::?).

Jeff

I used to be the same about blades as you are. I began to notice that a lot of the detailed cutters were using spiral blades so I decided I should make an effort to learn them. The one thing I did discover is when one is cutting really delicate fret and breakage might be a good possibilities is that when using the spiral blade they no longer are a problem to worry about. I still only use my spirals blades when there is quite of bit of rally fragile cuts(like the Grim Reaper you just posted), I turn to my spiral blade. I think you might really enjoy it if you tried cut a piece or two with them. I still prefer the straight blades but I will turn to the dreadful spiral when I think it will make my cutting more desirable. As you know, Charles Deering is also a spiral blade user. Hope you decide to risk a piece of two just for yourself

Dick

heppnerguy

1 hour ago, Scrappile said:

Does look nice!  What are the plans for the painted one?  I vote for a framed picture, and the background black with little glitter to look like stars...

Here is pic of Jan's painted one, still playing with the background.  Pure black, like it is washes out the outline.  Will find the right combination.

Jeff

IMG_3110.JPG

Nope, if you go back to the original picture you posted of this painted one,,, which is so awesome, you will see, at least I did, some specks in the black background, that, to me, looked like black of night with stars.  Maybe it was saw dust or lint, but I liked it.  A little, little glitter would maybe give the same effect...

1 hour ago, Scrappile said:

Nope, if you go back to the original picture you posted of this painted one,,, which is so awesome, you will see, at least I did, some specks in the black background, that, to me, looked like black of night with stars.  Maybe it was saw dust or lint, but I liked it.  A little, little glitter would maybe give the same effect...

You were not mistaken.  That is a piece of fabric that Jan shoots behind most of the projects.  It is black with silver specks.  Will try to steal from Jan :lol: or get something similar.  Thanks for the input Paul, much appreciated. 

Jeff

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:35 PM, GPscroller said:

You were not mistaken.  That is a piece of fabric that Jan shoots behind most of the projects.  It is black with silver specks.  Will try to steal from Jan :lol: or get something similar.  Thanks for the input Paul, much appreciated. 

Jeff

Here it is Paul, with the original fabric behind it.  Having hard time getting decent pic, but if you enlarge, you can see the glitter.  Will look for different fabric next week or maybe get Jan to paint a background.

Jeff

Reaper glitter.JPG