Relief Scrollsawing ???

Kragax

I have been trying to find information on this. I have found ads for pattern books but everything is too small for my aged eyes. From what I can tell it looks like a pattern is cut out and then pushed forward from the background and most likely glued that way. Does anyone have experience with this? I hate to order the book from looking at a thumbnail of the cover, because being on a fixed income doesn't give me a lot of wiggle room. It looks interesting but I have never seen a piece like that.

You can relief cut must anything.  I made a box with a heart relief cut on the lid.  (Wish I had the picture)  Much like inlay, you set the blade at an angle based on the blade and thickness of the wood.  When the cut is completed, you push the object up and glued in place.  I know this is a simple explanation.  I am sure others will chime in.

Greetings,

You have the right concept of the relief cutting and can find two free simple patterns at stevegood.com/catalog if you search for

Simple Nativity and Relief Cut Cross.
Another scroller has also taken this to new limits by relief cutting scenes or animals and then shaping the portions that are pushed
forward so that the entire project looks carved instead of relief cut.

As Denny Knappen stated. You determine what angle to set the blade by the thickness of your wood and the thickness/kerf of the blade.
Several members here can supply you with charts for different dimensions so you don't have to do a lot of math.

I hope you try some projects and show us!
God Bless! Spirithorse

The book I was looking at was Scrollsaw Relief by Marilyn Carmin. I think I would like to give it a try. Just don't want to spend money on a book I cant see very well LOL. I was interested in the deer head on the cover. In the right wood it would be very pretty I think. Thank You all for your responses. 

11 hours ago, spirithorse said:

Greetings,

You have the right concept of the relief cutting and can find two free simple patterns at stevegood.com/catalog if you search for

Simple Nativity and Relief Cut Cross.
Another scroller has also taken this to new limits by relief cutting scenes or animals and then shaping the portions that are pushed
forward so that the entire project looks carved instead of relief cut.

As Denny Knappen stated. You determine what angle to set the blade by the thickness of your wood and the thickness/kerf of the blade.
Several members here can supply you with charts for different dimensions so you don't have to do a lot of math.

I hope you try some projects and show us!
God Bless! Spirithorse

Thank you I will check those patterns out today.

3 hours ago, JackM said:

I have this book and the patterns are full page size, two pages in some instances and the deer head pattern is on three full size pages.

If you buy the book I don't think that you'll be disappointed

Jack

Thanks Jack, does it have a table to explain the tilt of the table required? I don't know how to figure that.

8 hours ago, Kragax said:

The book I was looking at was Scrollsaw Relief by Marilyn Carmin. I think I would like to give it a try. Just don't want to spend money on a book I cant see very well LOL. I was interested in the deer head on the cover. In the right wood it would be very pretty I think. Thank You all for your responses. 

I'd try searching for the ISBN ( book number ).. search google and I've bought several used books from Barns&Noble.. they have a used section but its goofy how to get to it or it was the last time I used it.. Anyway.. many of these books can be had for just a few bucks.. Sometimes shipping is more than the book.. but in the end still much cheaper than a "New" book  

Here is a nice protractor I posted quite some time ago.  Resize as needed and laminate it.  I glued mine on 1/8" ply.  Cut the bottom outside the line and sand to the line.  Also, cut a small notch at zero degrees.  Tilt the piece from behind a tensioned blade and pull the top forwards you & set your angle.  I really like mine.

ProtractorOne.pdf

3 hours ago, Roberta Moreton said:

Amazon also offers many books used. Right at the price it will show new and used.  The used are also graded from excellent to poor. 

I like ABE books - it's a worldwide network of book dealers. I was able to get a library of metalworking books from England that are unavailable in the states, and shipping was very cheap. Just like Amazon you'll find some crazy price ranges but it's easy to sort by price.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&an=&tn=scroll+saw+relief+patterns&kn=&isbn=