Casters on Stationary Tools

RangerJay

The purchase of a lawn tractor with a snowblower attachment has meant that my workshop has gotten a lot smaller - and meaning that it would be really helpful if a couple pieces of machinery could be moved out of the way from time to time.  Both of them are heavy and awkward to be dragging around - a standing drill press and a 12" planer on its own bench.  Any thoughts on the use of locking casters for these kinds of tools? Mount the casters directly onto the machine? - or on a frame that the machinery fits into?

Any thoughts on what has worked for others - or what to avoid - would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

what ive done and works good for me is to build a frame for the tool. take the drill press-i built a frame with swivel  casters on each corner. the frame was constructed so the drill press base was still close to the ground- about an inch of clearance.  i have my DP and table saw on wheeled bases with these casters

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Wheels/Casters/Plate-Casters/3-x-15-16-Faultless-Swivel-Plate-Caster-w-Wheel-Brake-29896-1-4967.axd

theyve worked great for me and easy to roll em when i need to. gotta be careful moving the top heavy DP,though

lookin back, i see now it would have only been necessary to have one locking caster.

I built little rolling platforms, like pictured, for several of my tools.  I think I got the plans from wood magazine site years ago.  I really like them and plan on building another for my band saw.  You can lock in place just by rotating the lever on the front 180 degrees with you foot.  Unlock to move the tool the same way.  Easy, inexpensive to build.  This on is for my router table.  The cabinet next to it has my Seyco mounted on it. I have casters under it but I have to get down on my knee to lock them.  I plan on building one of the platforms for it also.

The drill press is hard.  It is so top heavy, I am afraid to put it on something.  I wish I had bought a bench top model so I could mount it on a cabinet.  I guess some day I can cut the post off and make it a bench top.

roller.jpg

Thanks for the ideas and thoughts - may have already been done but a thread devoted to space-saving ideas might be one well worth doing - I've posted before about a "lazy susan"  I have that hosts 3 benchtop tools - wouldn't give it up for the world - but otherwise my workshop competes with equipment needed for snow removal, grass cutting, gardening, camping, boating and the provision of emergency power - I guess in truth my "Shed" has a tough time calling itself a "Workshop" - maybe its more suited to the title "Garage" ....... 

Thanks,

Jay

I have several of my machines on HF caster frames.  However any machine where I need to apply LATERAL pressure I do not have casters.  Even the frames with brakes will slide if pushed to hard and that with a power tool is just to dangerous.  Russ

https://www.harborfreight.com/300-lb-capacity-mobile-base-95288.html

Edited by Chiloquinruss

I used about a Third of a 2 car garage. Had to share other  side of garage with a hot water heater Furnace, water softner and washer dryer as well as mama's car which must be in side at night. So all I could was on wheels with frame and foot pedal to put wheel down to move and up when in position. Took car out and worked moved things around and then back again for night time car storage. I had a shed for all the lawn stuff tools gas etc. Snow blower was walk behind and fit either in shed or small corner of garage for winter. I would suggest time to build a work shop I am moving and looking for room to build one or has one. So far no luck. If I find the shop or space for one the house does not meet SWMBO says no to the house. Oh well time will tell. 

I recently picked up three radial arm saw bases for $10 each.  It was easy to put casters on the feet. However the legs being stamped sheet metal do flex some.  So I am putting some 1x6's across the legs to both brace the legs and hold a shelf under neath.   Once the shelf is added they are rock solid.    

I just put my bench drill press and grinder on the same stand.   Next the belt sander and miter saw will go on another.  I don't have a decent dust collector system yet, so when I do something dusty, I can wheel the tool out the door and just stand up wind of the tool as I work.   Since my shop is not yet in it's home. It makes using the tools and shifting them around so much easier. 

10 hours ago, RangerJay said:

The purchase of a lawn tractor with a snowblower attachment has meant that my workshop has gotten a lot smaller - and meaning that it would be really helpful if a couple pieces of machinery could be moved out of the way from time to time.  Both of them are heavy and awkward to be dragging around - a standing drill press and a 12" planer on its own bench.  Any thoughts on the use of locking casters for these kinds of tools? Mount the casters directly onto the machine? - or on a frame that the machinery fits into?

Any thoughts on what has worked for others - or what to avoid - would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

Whoa! i've plenty of problems like this and all i can do is on day at a time which gets me no where,lol

Jay, I don't like using regular casters for my equipment, I find that they have a tendency of bending the legs they are attached to. What I like to use, is a system that has a frame that the legs of the equipment sit into. The framework has wheels on it, the two front ones collapse to lower the equipment to sit flat on the floor. When you want to move the equipment, you just step on the front levers to raise the machine. Once the levers are set in the raised position, it is very easy to move the equipment. This type of system usually cost around twenty-five dollars, sometimes it goes on ale for around twenty dollars.

Len

Jay

I need to be moving things around in my shop also.  I have band saw, drill press, chop saw, planer, shop vac/dust deputy, and two scroll saws all mounted on four inch locking swivel casters.  I first decide the footprint I want and then cut 3/4 ply to the footprint, put the casters on the 3/4 ply, and then bolt the tool stand to the 3/4 ply.  I think the 3/4 ply base gives some added stability and if needed to reduce vibration gives you a place to throw a bag of sand or other weight.  If not needing added weight it just gives you another storage shelf.  I strongly recommend all four casters be swivel, that the locking be of both the wheel and the swivel, and that you use 4 inch casters - I tried 2 inch casters and was not happy with them.

Edited by Doug

Thanks again everyone for a slew of good ideas - think I've decided on a bit of a two prong approach to try to recover and maintain usable "space" .  The first is a simple clean-up and organization - underway now - amazing the transformation it is making already - started yesterday and should finish today (but maybe tomorrow) - one trip to the landfill coming up ....... and a few items directed towards the next church yard sale.  The second is mounting casters on 3/4 plywood on one machine - think I'm going to go with a set of locking stationary casters on the back and locking swivel casters on the front.

Really appreciate all the great ideas and advice.

Jay