Shop Is A Bit Cold At 17F This AM

kmmcrafts

Taking a warm-up break.. was 17F when I went out to the shop this morning.. been working on the custom ordered clocks I got the other day.. Not due to ship until late next week so I'm just taking my time on them in this cold.. though it is getting better out there pretty quickly as I've been out there for about 2.5 hours and looked at the thermometer before left the shop and it's up to 25 now.. Might take the rest of the day off as I have a big plumbing job to do here in the house.. have to take the wall out to get too it.. why doesn't anyone make access panels for things like this I'll never know.. will be one when I'm done. :)  

My high today according to the weather on my phone says 27F and that is about where it's at now.. 10F warmer tomorrow and then next week looks to be back to the mid 40's.. I don't mind working out there in the mid 30's +.. but this below 30's is too cold for me.. while I say this.. when the dead of winter comes and all we get is in the teens.. 25 feels pretty darn good, LOL... funny how that works.. but next spring..in 40's I'll be taking my coat off.. but mid 40's in the fall.. can't get enough cloths on.. LOL..  I think at some point.. I'll block off an specified scroll sawing area to heat.. I do have a little propane tank mounted radiant heater that I run next to me that helps tremendously... but would love to just have a small area that stays heated to 40 - 45 degrees..   

We got down to -11 yesterday morning, but it warmed up to the mid 20s by afternoon. Our garage/my shop has gotten down to 10, but that's only when its -40 outside. Usually it stays above freezing, although not by much. I have a few milk house heaters to keep it bearable, but have to be careful where I plug them in. It's impressive how much power one of those things will pull.

Glad that arctic chill that was befalling so many areas north was not yet sticking her chilly fingers down this far south just yet.  High's today and through the weekend suppose to be mid-upper 50's.  Warmer still next week into the 60's.  Winter can wait as far as I am concerned.  Would love another mild winter like we had last year.  Here's hoping.  in the mean time, for those of you not so fortunate, I hope that it warms up for you some at least.

Well, let me tell ya's, at 8:30 a.m. I hopped out of bed, put on my shorts and a tee shirt. Flip flops on my feet. I went out and got the paper. It was a bit overcast but nice and warm. I may complain a lot about the politics here in California but it's all about the weather. I guess that's why folks are lining up to live here in a basic home that starts at about $600K. 

Ray

Edited by octoolguy

52 minutes ago, rjweb said:

It was cold here this morning 61, Had to wear a jacket when out running my dogs, RJ

Not sure what part of Texas you are from... all heck it doesn't matter because no matter where in Texas.. way to hot for me in the summer.. My father in law lives in Texas.. back in 2010 or 2011 when we was there.. 120F.. went to a small swim hole off FM1117.. believe it was called Guadaupe river?  water felt like a hot tub or sauna.. no cooling down from that water.. Father in-law likes to joke with me and we was talking gardens and what I grow in mine.. I mentioned potatoes.. he was trying to tell me that when you dig them up in Texas.. they are already baked, LOL.. after spending 4 weeks there in August I almost believe that..LOL..Oh... you can keep the fire ants and scorpions down that way too.. LOL  I'll stick to this cold weather area.. easier to put more cloths on.. in the heat.. there is only so many cloths to remove, LOL  

We've had a cold front through here in NW Kansas for nearly a week. Luckily my shop is heated & a/c'd. I keep the shop about 72* - 74* in the winter. About 72* in the summer. I ain't braggin' gentlemen. I feel for ya. I've hauled cattle out of Montana when it's -40* & snowin' like no other. I've also hauled fertilizer out of Michigan when it's colder'n a snowmans a**! But, it gets cold here on the plains, too. When the wind blows, IT BLOWS!!! And nothin' to slow it down!

lol Kevin, we never set our thermostats any higher then that. We usually have them set at 15, but every so often we do turn them up to 17 for some extra warmth. All I usually wear around the house, is a t-shirt and a pair of work pants. I never was a heat person, I loved all of the years I worked in the high north. I can always properly dress for the cold, no matter how cold it gets. I actually enjoy being out in the coldest temperatures of the year, I find it to be very refreshing. We've been known to have bar-b-ques in the winter, why not, it only takes a little longer to cook a steak. When I used to snowmobile, we had small bar-b-ques mounted on skis we used to use on our long day trips. There was four of us who always snowmobiled together, I towed the bar-b-que, Clinton hauled the food trailer. Dale towed the trailer with the liquids we would consume on our trip, and Kerry usually brought up the rear trailer with the tents and sleeping bags. Oh how I miss those days. No my friend, you can have your heat. I had a very hard hot summer that I suffered through, we're just starting to get into my favorite season of the year.

Len

6 hours ago, rjweb said:

Kevin,

I am a north of San Antonio just outside, yes it gets warm in summer but not to bad we had some days this year just about 100 to 102, but the big thing is no snow and ice, which is why we left pa, RJ 

Sister in law lives in San Antonio, Father in law is in Nixon.. and when we visit we usually stay in Seguin.. Of all the times I've been there.. most times the temps was bearable other than the last time we stayed when it was 105 - 120 every day we was there.. believe that was either 2010 or 2011..