Itching fo new saw

Brianr24

I'm not ready to buy a new saw yet but I'm window shopping and researching. I'm using a PC now. I like it but an upgrade is in my future not really interested  in dewalt. I see HD website sells excalibur 16 inch and 21. 21 is 899. I see on eBay brand New king 30 inch for same price as 21 inch plus 50 bucks shipping. seems odd . Another concern of mine is I know high end company's many times produce a cheaper line for the big box stores.just an observation. Any comments welcome.

Edited by Brianr24

Don't think you can actually purchase the Excalibur from Home Depot anymore.. while it still shows on their website.. noticed there is no option to add to shopping cart etc.. I've been told that the Ex / King saw will be available from Home Depot soon.. but I don't know how creditable that statement was or if the person even knew what they was talking about.. If you're not in any hurry I'd maybe wait it out a while and see if the King brand might bring in the 21" saw.. which is kinda what I was doing until I come across the brand new Ex-21 last week on craigslist.. Maybe keep an eye out for a good use or maybe even new on craigslist like I did.. Had I not found mine I was planning to purchase a new King after the holidays was hoping they'd get the 21" one in.. I've heard they are supposed to be getting them in.. again.. I don't know how true that is.. if they wasn't in when i was ready to buy I was going to go with the 30 ( I think ).. The 30 is really overkill for my needs but the 16 could limit me on some ( very few ) on my projects..

23 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Don't think you can actually purchase the Excalibur from Home Depot anymore.. while it still shows on their website.. noticed there is no option to add to shopping cart etc.. I've been told that the Ex / King saw will be available from Home Depot soon.. but I don't know how creditable that statement was or if the person even knew what they was talking about.. If you're not in any hurry I'd maybe wait it out a while and see if the King brand might bring in the 21" saw.. which is kinda what I was doing until I come across the brand new Ex-21 last week on craigslist.. Maybe keep an eye out for a good use or maybe even new on craigslist like I did.. Had I not found mine I was planning to purchase a new King after the holidays was hoping they'd get the 21" one in.. I've heard they are supposed to be getting them in.. again.. I don't know how true that is.. if they wasn't in when i was ready to buy I was going to go with the 30 ( I think ).. The 30 is really overkill for my needs but the 16 could limit me on some ( very few ) on my projects..

Thx for info. I didn't realize u couldn't purchase off home depot site. I'm definitely not in a hurry. But I did find it unusual u can get 30 inch king for only another 50 bucks. I don't need that large either. Thx. Probably won't go used. I kind of hate Craig's list. I search my surrounding area and I find perfect item only to find it's two states away. I guess they just allow people to post everywhere or I find good one and no # they want you to send ur email.....scam I just don't have the patience or temperament for idiots.lol sorry to rant.

11 minutes ago, orangeman said:

Woodcraft catalog carries the King saw but not our local Woodcraft Georgia store.

Many questions regarding how King handles warranty work in the USA and are there any service centers in the USA.

We need to hear from King on this one.

Shipping a problematic saw back to Canada would be very expensive(ouch).

bb

I read something on another forum about someone having an issue with their new King saw.. rather than deal with repairs etc.. King just mailed them a new saw... sounded to me like they are standing behind their saws pretty well in my opinion.. Read this on one of the FB groups.. 

Kevin, that is or was the only good thing I could give King Tools credit for, they had a great warranty. If you had an issue with one of their tools, all you had to do was return it to where you could exchange it for another one. The other thing I liked about King tools was absolutely nothing, in my opinion their tools were all junk. I don't know much about their scroll saws, but then again, why would they change their ethics about the junk they sell? Unless they've changed a lot over the years, they're an inferior tool manufacturer. When I started out I bought a lot of King tools, but none of them lasted any length of time. And even though they had a good warranty, I got tired of running back and forth for a new saw or whatever. It got to the point that when I took a saw or one of their tools back, I used the refunded money and a bit more to purchase a better quality tool. I do hope that they have changed and are now producing better quality tools, I'd hate to think that they are the same as always. The tools all do look good, they look as good as most other brands do. But looks don't do a thing for me, if it's an inferior tool.

Len

King is re-branding the same saw as Axminster, Carbatec, Pegas, and etc.  King is not the manufacturer.  Some time back I posted two shipping manifests, from a single Taiwan company, to both King and Seyco.  Same company that formerly shipped Excalibur.

It is curious that the Canadian twin of Harbor Freight would start selling this quality of tool.  It's also a little weird to see the U.S. Harbor freight selling their new Vulcan branded welder.  Strange things do happen.  The whole truth will emerge as more people get their hands on these, and have to start resolving some technical issues with them.  I would be happy with a saw replacement any day.  Would be happier yet if Seyco started slapping their brand on this model also.

Edited by hotshot

2 hours ago, octoolguy said:

I'm curious. Why is Jet never mentioned? I see they have a high end scroll saw now but nobody seems to be giving them any chatter.

Ray

I'm guessing because of the fact that it's a bottom feeder only saw.. Also it's new.. and many people aren't spending that kind of money with very little "chatter" about the saw.. The price point of this Jet saw is higher on the spectrum to like saws.. that are top / bottom feed... ie Excalibur / King / Seyco etc etc.. the price point isn't too far off from the Hawk either.. so I think people are more comfortable spending their hard earned money with reputable places such as Seyco.. Most are also a little sketchy and don't like change and just don't know if they'd like the new clamping system of the Jet.. This is just my speculation only.. I don't really know.. other than this is somewhat how I feel about the Jet myself.. I do like the upper clamp design with the clamp & tension all with one simple motion of one lever.. how durable is the upper clamp? is something we may have to wait a few years to find out... I will say.. they have one on display at one of my local supply stores I go to often.. and about every time I go I look it over... about 50 - 60% of the time I look it over.. the upper blade clamp is broke or jammed ans wont work..  I'm guessing it's all the people playing with the display model trying to figure out the new system.. but also it worries me about how well that clamp will work for longer term use of fretwork..    

4 hours ago, octoolguy said:

I'm curious. Why is Jet never mentioned? I see they have a high end scroll saw now but nobody seems to be giving them any chatter.

Ray

I have seen the new Jet saw. As was mentioned, it is strictly a bottom feeding saw. I am a top feeder. I will never go back to bottom feeding so the Jet will never be a consideration for me. I know I will be ragged on this, but so be it !

17 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Ray

I think the biggest reason is as what has already been noted - its a new saw to the market - just released in the past 6 months.  Same as the new Seyco saw.  Neither gets much "chatter" right now.  Until people who use saws now, need to replace one, you won't see a lot of chatter.  Most people new to the saw and wanting to get started tend not to want to spend that much on a hobby they are not sure about. There was some chatter about the Jet and the Seyco saw when they were first introduced.  Carole Rothman did a review on the Jetsaw which can be found on Youtube I believe.  I think a couple people got the Jet and discussed it back then.  A few of us got the new Seyco and there was some discussions on it then too.  Steve Good has a video on his site and Youtube about the Seyco saw and setting it up.  A must watch if you get the Seyco Saw in my opinion.  It's a little tricky to get setup initially and Steve addresses that.  He also has given some updated information on his usage of it on his blog.  Hubby got me the Seyco as it came out just before Mother's Day and my Birthday (which are a week apart.)  I have been using it as the main saw and I like it.  a lot like the used Excalibur one I was using.  Have had no issues with it.  I was going to wait and listen and do some more watching since both the Jet and the Seyco had just come out but he did it as a "surprise" and I wasn't going to complain that he got me a new saw so I didn't look at the Jet after that.

I also have a Seyco 21" that replaced a 21" Excalibur, that I sold and then wished I hadn't.  I think for the most part they are very comparable.  I think the Steve Good assembly video ought to be sent with the saw.  It is not as easy as just taking the saw out of the box and mounting it on the stand.  Very doable but, a little more complicated.  The "big" table is really nice.  I did not care for the magnetic table top "mat" and I replaced it with my own, mainly because I like to have zero clearance on my table top and I like to be able to do it with inserts that can be replaced.

My thoughts are if the new King saw is in fact as good as the Ex, at the price they are selling it for,  Seyco will have to do something.  It would be a no brain-er on which to buy, equal saws at non- equal prices.

One thing about the saws being manufactured by or at the same company, it doesn't necessarily mean they are of the same quality (this is my opinion, and I have no facts to back it up), the customer writes the spec for the equipment and does the enforcement of those specs.  So to me the Vendor is very important to my decision.  I already knew from experience what type a vendor Seyco is and was for the Ex.  I am very leery about King, I do not know them.  How long is the guarantee to return and replace if there is a problem?  Harbor Freight is also good about that, for "'x" number of days (30 I think) unless you buy a extended warranty from them.  I remember my mother-in-law purchased a little sander from them and returned and replaced 3 times before she finished her project, then what was left of the third sander, she tried to give it to me!  I certainly would not want to go through that with a scroll saw.

I also did not look at a Jet when buying a new saw, because, I have one Jet machine that I am less than happy with.  Also, I do not want to deal with service centers.  They are very hit an miss on their customer service, and ability to repair something as obscure as scroll saws. Just read the stories on this forum about experiences with DeWalt service centers.  From what I read is appears you have 50/50 chance of getting good service and a fix. Again just my opinion. 

Oh man, too much coffee, sorry, I got carried away.... what was the question again?:cry:

Oh, ya "Any comments welcome", so there you go. 

One more thing, just curious, I have heard many times this:

"Another concern of mine is I know high end company's many times produce a cheaper line for the big box stores.just an observation. " 

Have you really experience that or how do you know this?  I am not disputing this, I have heard it too, but I have not experienced it.

Edited by Scrappile

27 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

One more thing, just curious, I have heard many times this:

"Another concern of mine is I know high end company's many times produce a cheaper line for the big box stores.just an observation. " 

Have you really experience that or how do you know this?  I am not disputing this, I have heard it too, but I have not experienced it.

Not to throw this off topic.. but some big name companies do make a low end tool just to get some of the low end buyer market.. Not sure on saws and tools.. but as for say.. John Deere as an example.. 10+ years ago they started selling what was called Scotts lawn / garden equipment.. sold at Home Depot.. they was a cheap stamped sheet metal framed lawn tractor.. and there was no comparison to there actual John Deere tractors.. Now they brand it with their own name and sell them though many outlets.. Lowes here in my town carry John Deere tractors.. again these are just cheap made tractors compared to what you'd see at a actual John Deere dealer.. Other lawn equipment brands tried doing this same thing.. Cub Cadet.. as another example.. cheap steel frames.. and transmissions made of cheap aluminum etc.. nothing like the older Cub Cadet tractors.. I don't believe Cub makes a high end tractor anymore.. In fact I think MTD corp.. bought the Cub name and the Cub today is just a re -bagged MTD.. Like I said though... Not sure if this same thing applies to tools and saws.. can't say I've seen it myself.. but not to say they aren't doing it..

I also wanted to mention that since someone mentioned Steve Good doing a review of the Seyco saw.. He also has done two reviews of the new Jet saw.. one being the un-boxing and assembly.. and then a couple months later a review of the saw itself.. also made some custom piece for the lower blade clamp.. Just thought I'd mention that also.. 

7 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Let me start by saying I don't have absolute proof but years ago I knew someone who's job had something to do with manufacturing of these products . I wanna say it was John deer but it was a while back and we were just throwing the bull it wasn't like I was trying to test if he was lying or anything lol. But he wasn't selling me anything and he knew more than me about it. From what I can remember basically he was saying they are the same products built by same workers but with cheaper parts in certain areas.I don't really see anything wrong with this because they are also charging a cheaper price. If any of this is even true. I choose to believe it is. Not only because of what Iv heard but although big box stores have great prices I don't think they are selling an  8. thousand dollar tractor for 3 or 4 grand.this is just my opinion I have no facts. You know what they say about opinions...... they r like a certain body part.....everyone has one and they all stink. :)

Come to think it could've been the Lincoln welders and not the tractors.    Aaaaaa I forget

Edited by Brianr24