passing patterns on if creator is no longer active

penquin

Put this here since I figure most folks look at the bragging page and hope a lot will see this and reply.  If it should be somewhere else move it and let me know.

Since I have posted some photo's of cuttings have gotten some on line requests from folks for the pattern for the cutting.  They were in most cases patterns that were posted on line free several years ago in groups I belonged to at the time.  The newest request concerns a pattern from 2005.  The pattern creator is Woodywoodscroller.  I can't locate him on any active site I belong to now.

Can I pass on a pattern to someone who would like it that was not created by me but was a free post back in the day?  Thanks for any help an opinions.

jimpenquin

4 hours ago, penquin said:

Put this here since I figure most folks look at the bragging page and hope a lot will see this and reply.  If it should be somewhere else move it and let me know.

Since I have posted some photo's of cuttings have gotten some on line requests from folks for the pattern for the cutting.  They were in most cases patterns that were posted on line free several years ago in groups I belonged to at the time.  The newest request concerns a pattern from 2005.  The pattern creator is Woodywoodscroller.  I can't locate him on any active site I belong to now.

Can I pass on a pattern to someone who would like it that was not created by me but was a free post back in the day?  Thanks for any help an opinions.

jimpenquin

free is free to me!

You kind of need to figure out if there is a copyright issue or not.

I try to be very careful about this because I owe it to the creators of the pattern. I just posted an ornament and was asked about providing the pattern.  I got it from either a magazine or bought it online.  In either case, the pattern is copyrighted.  Would love to post the pattern but just not fair.

29 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

I could be wrong but I think woodywoodscroller is a female. I believe it’s Rick Hutchins? Wife Rick is the one that used to run the free4allpattern site shortly after the msn groups got closed down and everyone migrated to scrollsawer site.

I was a member of Free4allpatterns and Rick Gray was the owner of this group.  The last e-mail address I have for Rick is rickgray@cox.net.  you can try and reach him and see what he has to say.  I doubt if he will be concerning about sharing one of his (wife's) patterns.

4 hours ago, ChelCass said:

I was a member of Free4allpatterns and Rick Gray was the owner of this group.  The last e-mail address I have for Rick is rickgray@cox.net.  you can try and reach him and see what he has to say.  I doubt if he will be concerning about sharing one of his (wife's) patterns.

Yes, the name is Rick Gray.. I think I've seen another topic somewhere concerning him and someone mentioned he is on FaceBook .. I don't know for sure.. just what I had seen somewhere on another topic....

When I'm dead, and this site is no longer in existence, feel free to give my patterns to anyone you want.  I hope many years from now, people will still be cutting and enjoying my patterns.  Just don't download all the free ones and put your name on them, or sell them on your site.

I saw a blog where a woman cut my free bowl/basket pattern, she put the link to this site so others could come and get the free pattern.  If this site was no longer here, i would hope she would post the pattern for others to use.  I made it and posted it as a free pattern so everyone could cut and use it for free.  If this site is gone, feel free to give it to others.

Russell

Edited by Birchbark

5 hours ago, Birchbark said:

When I'm dead, and this site is no longer in existence, feel free to give my patterns to anyone you want.  I hope many years from now, people will still be cutting and enjoying my patterns.  Just don't download all the free ones and put your name on them, or sell them on your site.

I saw a blog where a woman cut my free bowl/basket pattern, she put the link to this site so others could come and get the free pattern.  If this site was no longer here, i would hope she would post the pattern for others to use.  I made it and posted it as a free pattern so everyone could cut and use it for free.  If this site is gone, feel free to give it to others.

Russell

Russel, you should send a copy of your patterns to someone you trust.  That said, here is hoping you will be knocking out patterns many years from now.

-------Randy

The pattern is the property of the designer, it is copyright protected. It makes no difference if it was a free pattern, it was only a free pattern on the Free4All site. That's the way it is with all these sites, we get patterns for free because we are members. And as members, we get the right to use the patterns, but they still belong to the designers to do what they want. Take Don, Don @ Old Crow Scrollworks, he is generous enough to share his patterns with us for free. But he also has a site that he sells them from, so why would he want you to give his pattern away? Don is a nice enough guy, that he probably wouldn't mind. But before you shared one of his patterns to a person who isn't a member here, you should contact him and ask. 

Len