Sand Flee?

Rolf

2 hours ago, Sycamore67 said:

I do not have the Sand Flee but have a home made version.  It does things a random orbit sander can not do.  I use it for making boxes and smoothing out finger joint or dovetail corners.  I use it for a lot of things.  I

People have all kinds of tools that they find useful to them.  I would never tell anyone that a tool they bought and use regularly is a waste of money.  It might not be useful to me but great for them. Rolf is very accomplished and experienced and to him it is a very useful tool.

MY opinion . I too am accomplished and experienced as well as many others here. I am sure many people have many tools that others do not have. That was not my point. Good luck to all those that have them and those that will buy them. I want a Festool Kapex mitersaw even though I have a couple miter saws so I know what having tools over the budget is like. Some day I will pull that trigger. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

Jt as I said I have both the Sand-Flee and the drum sander and I also now have one of the Festool brush less RO sanders They all have their place in my shop and all are heavily used.  Have you ever used a Sand-Flee?

I would not give up any of them. 

If you use a lot of thin wood, and I do, yes the drum sander will pay for itself when re-sawing. my planer gets very limited use these days.

2 hours ago, Rolf said:

Jt as I said I have both the Sand-Flee and the drum sander and I also now have one of the Festool brush less RO sanders They all have their place in my shop and all are heavily used.  Have you ever used a Sand-Flee?

I would not give up any of them. 

If you use a lot of thin wood, and I do, yes the drum sander will pay for itself when re-sawing. my planer gets very limited use these days.

All I ever done was try it at shows because they are always at wood shows. It is one of those tools that there are other tools that can do the same job for alot cheaper on the market. Someone mentioned sanding dovetail joints and box making. Do you know how many box makers are out there that do not use a sandflee to sand their joints. I am one of them. I resaw a ton of wood and to me a drum sander is so valuable. It was one of those tools when I bought it I wondered how I did without. I use to pad sand all my lumber before that. If you use 2 different grits on the sander, now you limited yourself to the size of the piece you can run over it. If I am cutting ornaments all my pieces are dimentioned ahead of time and a quick sand to knock off fuzzies with a ROS is all that I need. For what is on that tool I can not understand why it is so expensive. As I said to each his own. I just voiced my opinion. Don't shoot the messenger.  Just wanted to bring it up for people wanting to get into scrolling, your money can be better spent in a better saw. If you have deep pockets and like tools there are many tools out there. I wished I had the festool line of tools. 

Regarding Festool I was never convinced that they were worth the significant investment, until I won the track saw at one of our clubs show's. It was the door prize. To say I was impressed by the saw is an understatement. It gave me the ability to cut up big sheet goods in my small shop much more precisely and with no chip out.  Their engineering and quality is amazing. 

I have the Makita 10 inch dual slide miter saw. It is a good saw but not as precise as I would like. I am very impressed with the Kapex but it is as much as my Hawk was. Maybe down the road one will find a home in my shop.

2 hours ago, Chiloquinruss said:

I bought the Woodmaster as one of their kits.  Went together very easy using their excellent instructions.  The motor is from HF.  Box is 3/4 cabinet with a piano type hinge.  Everything is adjustable.  It does an amazing job.  Russ

s_57438899.jpg

s_19098889.jpg

s_31608897.jpg

I sure do envy you guys and all your space.

On 12/14/2017 at 10:10 PM, Scrappile said:

Barb, I am anxious to read your review.  I've been thinking about the 18" or 24"kit.  Make my own cabinet to mount it in.  There is a 36" kit for sale at a pretty good price, about 200 miles from me, nice day trip in the Spring or Summer,  but I just don't have the room nor real need for one that big. 

received my FlatMaster today!!!!! Very excited!!!  Got it home (had it delivered to the office).  Opened the box to make sure all the parts are there. Have to order a motor, going to check with the brother's-in-law to see if they have anything, if not it will be check on Kijiji (Canadian Craig's List), if not there then retail market.  I will keep you all informed, but probably not until after Christmas.

Ray (Octoolguy) Who said anything about space.:shock: I will be doing a major purge after the holidays, NO not tools,  also re arrange the shop if possible.

Wheels help a great deal but things like wood lathes and table saws are fixed in place.

The woodmaster looks like a nice system.

Edited by Rolf

• 11 months later...
On 12/23/2017 at 6:35 AM, Rolf said:

Ray (Octoolguy) Who said anything about space.:shock: I will be doing a major purge after the holidays, NO not tools,  also re arrange the shop if possible.

Wheels help a great deal but things like wood lathes and table saws are fixed in place.

The woodmaster looks like a nice system.

I did. I would love to have a few of the tools you guys have but they would have to be stored outside my shop until needed. And living by the ocean, that ain't gonna happen. I am maxed out in my itty-bitty shop.

Interesting thread about space and tool and such.  I m the one who said I use my home made sand flee on dovetail boxes and such.   I did not spend much on it and is the BEST way for me.

I buy most of my tools with the primary concern of how easy  they will be on my body.  I buy Festool Sanders because they are the easiest on my wrists and hands.  I have had both wrists rebuilt and have to be very careful.  The homemade sand flee and a Supermax drum sander both reduce how much sanding I have to do with  a sander.  

17 hours ago, Sycamore67 said:

Interesting thread about space and tool and such.  I m the one who said I use my home made sand flee on dovetail boxes and such.   I did not spend much on it and is the BEST way for me.

I buy most of my tools with the primary concern of how easy  they will be on my body.  I buy Festool Sanders because they are the easiest on my wrists and hands.  I have had both wrists rebuilt and have to be very careful.  The homemade sand flee and a Supermax drum sander both reduce how much sanding I have to do with  a sander.  

That's the best reason in the world. You just have to hope and pray that they do as you hoped when you bought them. I know if I had space, I'd have a lot more tools too. 

I have the SuperMax 16/32 drum sander and a sander like the sand flea. One that I built from a kit I got from Stockroom Supply at a wood working show. I use them both, a lot. The beauty of the Sand Flea/Flatmaster is that the drum is coated with velcro loop. Like Rolf, I can use two grits on it at the same time. It's easy to get that smooth flat surface for my projects quickly.

I use my Supermax for thickness sanding and large pieces of wood. But changing the belts on the SuperMax is much more of a chore than on the FlatMaster.

I, also have a Rigid orbital sander. And I have used it for a number of years on wide flat surfaces. But, I wonder just how flat I'm sanding when I'm using the orbital. As I move thew orbital sander back and forth, I know I'm putting more pressure on one side of the sander than the other. When sanding ply wood, I have slipped and removed the veneer layer on the edges of the piece.