Pattern Search

Birchbark

On the old board i could search, whether in google, Bing, whatever, and find 'Birchbark scroll saw patterns' or 'scroll saw patterns by Birchbark'.  Now... nothing.  Why is that?  The only patterns that come up are ones that are used someplace else.   I tell ppl, "just search Birchbark patterns, you'll see 'em."   That has always worked in the past.  Now a guy tells me he can't find any?  So i searched for myself.  No love..  what gives?  Should i post them on other sites so they have a better SEO?  The old board you could see the spiders on the site all the time.  Is that no longer happening?

Thanks for any insight

Russell

Patterns aren't open to the general public anymore.  If you remember back this summer, non members were coming in and using all of SSV's resources.  As a result, we exceeded our CPU resources and almost lost SSV for good.  We were able to scramble and move servers and reorganize which information is available to the public.  So now, you have to be a member in order to see the patterns.  Which also means that Google image search won't find them either.

I keep waffling back and forth on whether to open up the library and user gallery again to the public.  It does a lot for organic traffic.  But we got really close to losing SSV last time, so I'm a little gun shy.

Travis, my personal feelings about opening the site to everyone, are negative ones. The way I feel, is if they want access to the patterns they should become members of the site. They can join for free, and they don't even have to participate in the forums if they don't want too. I don't think it is a very high price to pay, just join the site.

Len

Hi Travis:

No disrespect intended to all designers
I would not jeopardize the Village to try and please a few people
Those who want patterns and those who design patterns have other avenues they can take
to get what they want
Please leave the Pattern Library as is - - - Thanks
Fab4

I agree with the previous ones, why take a chance of loosing the village when all they have to do is take a little time and join and it's free I mean come on you want these great patterns at least take a little time since the designers spent theirs' making them, join. It's not much to ask, especially with what can happen if a bunch of non members jam up the server again.

I sympathize with Birchbark that the search engine has changed BUT, I have always said that I
really hated the fact that not only are many people stealing patterns but, many people were
selling patterns on e-bay and e-bay made it harder for me as a designer to get the thieves off
the site and my patterns off their site than they make it on the thieves for copyright violations.
The main thief I supplied them information about never was stopped. Therefore, I am sure some
designers won't share their patterns if it is open to the public.

Sorry for the rant but, as you can see, I am still upset about thieves!

By the way, Birchbark, I really appreciate the patterns you share and you are quite generous in doing so.
God Bless! Spirithorse

I think it should left as is and people can join for free it is then their choice whether to support or not but my opinion is if you use a pattern that someone has made the effort and taken the time to make for you then you should not be too shy in paying the small amount to become a supporter after all if you use only 3 to 4 patterns you would even out on your fee for supporting by not paying for the patterns its a no brainer to me and everyone gains as the site stays healthy and open to all of us  :0 just my opinion and I must admit I have been told before that means jot lol