Hijacking and Other Things

Sycamore67

I did not know where to post this but will put it here.

For this coming new year, I am going to be very careful and not do something to HIJACK a thread and take it off where the original poster wanted to go. If I have something else to say, I will start a new thread.  I have accidentally done this and feel bad about it. I think it is just the courteous way to do things.

I also am going to try to be more positive and avoid anything that is a criticism or could be interpreted as one.  Sometimes, it is not my intent but making a quick response it happens.  There are a couple of recent thread where this type of response is very evident.  

Many times a thread goes off in different directions but that is the nature of forums. It happens all the time and will continue. You may not do it but it will happen. Just like a live conversation with people. I bet you do not stop talking to the person if your conversation goes in a different direction. The other part of your thread about is something that too can not be helped. When we all type the words there is no way to promote the true feeling of those words. I am guilty of both these things and as much as I try to avoid it happens and I am who I am. Each of us have our own style and just the mannerisms of the way we speak. Many times not intentional but everyone may interpret those words differently. I bet these words are being interpreted as demeaning but all they are are my thoughts. I try to be helpful when I can. I like to share my experiences too. How they come off and opinions formed are up to the reader. I hope you posted this thread to draw some response and if not then you got one anyway. :) Maybe more smileys need to be used here too. Have done this on another site because I have been accused of being to harsh. Nothing new. 

Have a good scrolling day. The sun is shining here and is 22 degrees. Woke up this morning and my feet hit the ground and I knew it was going to be a good day to read forums. :) 

I can definitely say I've done this in the passed as a person talks about one subject it reminds me of another and I digress ah well lifes is like a box of chocolates . There I go again. Happy new year All. oops and again.:rofl::rofl: If you worry about what you say all the time you'll never say anything. So just spit it out and have fun. :woot: Roly

19 minutes ago, Montserrat said:

This is a very courteous forum.  I have zero complaints.   I don't believe you need to worry! 

I whole heartedly agree. I used to visit a popular model railroading forum and many times people would flame (if that's the word) each other. It got to the point to where I no longer go there.  I've been a member of this forum for over a year or two and I visit it about every other day. In this time I have not read where anyone has been mean to others. Yes, there are disagreements, but to me, when there have been, it has been respectful. And to that, I say thank you to all of you!

Gonzo

Hey Sycamore67,  don't worry about it too much. I am guilty of doing this quite often. And it is always unintentional. But, for me, it's more of a conversational thing. I'm reading along and something in the thread will jog my brain and I must jump in and either say something or ask a question. that may or may not be related to the original post. I'm sorry for doing it but I feel that it's like we are all just sitting around chatting and it's an informal atmosphere so the subject can change or take different directions. The original poster can jump in and steer it back to where he was heading. I certainly hope nobody is offended when I do this and if they are, please tell me. But, being new to this hobby, I have many questions buzzing around in my head and if I was to open a new thread for every one of them, it would never end. 

Ray

This has been an interesting thread and responses.  I thought it was courteous to the poster to "attempt" to stay on topic and answer questions.  Based on the responses, I am wrong and little effort should be made to stay on topic and I think that I will join you in bringing up whatever random topic pops up. This could become entertaining....Thanks :lol:

Edited by Sycamore67

16 hours ago, Sycamore67 said:

I did not know where to post this but will put it here.

For this coming new year, I am going to be very careful and not do something to HIJACK a thread and take it off where the original poster wanted to go. If I have something else to say, I will start a new thread.  I have accidentally done this and feel bad about it. I think it is just the courteous way to do things.

I also am going to try to be more positive and avoid anything that is a criticism or could be interpreted as one.  Sometimes, it is not my intent but making a quick response it happens.  There are a couple of recent thread where this type of response is very evident.  

tis human to make mistakes ,we all have done it and understand .

I know that I am guilty of causing subjects to wander, but when I do, it's because someone's replied to my response. I will often respond, with using a personal experience related to the original subject. And even though it's related to the subject, it is often replied to with another members experience also. And if it's not about an experience that they've had, it's a response to ask a question or to offer regards about my reply. I've been accused of taking subjects of topic lots of time, and I generally pay no attention to the person who does the complaining. Just because I replied with a personal experience, and someone has made a reply to what I've stated. Does not mean that I've taken a subject off course, it means that I've had issues or dealings with the subject being posted about. Yes, I could give the simple everyday answer, like a lot of people do, and I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with doing so. But I generally try to give an honest and truthful answer, that explains any experience I've had with the topic of discussion. Now if someone asks me a question based on my reply, what should I do? Start another thread just to answer them, I think not. The answer would be based on my reply in the OP, therefore my answer should be included in the OP. Other's might be interested in the answer to the question asked, it wouldn't make much sense to me to start another thread to send them to to find the answer. A perfect example of what I'm talking about, would be my response to your New Years Resolution posting. I spoke about why I couldn't use my saw because of an eye issue, if I could, I would have that issue resolved. That is the reason for why I posted what I did, getting my eyes fixed so that I can see use my saw again, is my New Year's Resolution. You asked the question in your OP, I was just giving an honest answer. I will be at my doctor's office when he opens on tuesday, and I will be there every week until I get a response on headway being made. Now just because someone was kind enough to reply in kindness, doesn't mean the OP was taken off course. I am sure that the original subject would have come back to being posted on, without your interjection. I am sorry if I or my postings take an original posting off subject, it is not done intentionally. But I do not, nor ever will apologize for posting an experience I've had with the subject matter. Not even if some other person takes it in that direction, because of what I've posted. If someone wants to reply to a posting I made, so be it, they must have had a reason for doing so. I don't mind original postings being taken off subject, if the new posting can be related to the OP. And even if they're not, I usually find most things posted on here interesting to read. Plus, if hijacking a posting bothers a person so much, that they have to complain about it. They can't have much else to do. Hijacking a posting is such a minor thing in life to complain about, that it's hardly worth mentioning as far as I'm concerned. Because most hijackings, are done by mistake, and that the OP can be brought back on subject with the next member's posting. I don't mean to upset anyone with this reply to this subject, it's just how I feel about hijackings.

Len

This is definitely not a strict question/answer forum, and I'm pretty glad it isn't otherwise things would get boring around here in a hurry.  Conversations go where conversations go.  I've found that if someone has something new to add to the original topic of the thread, they will add that comment, regardless of where the overall conversation has shifted.  Some of the best conversations have been in threads that have veered.  Only kind of veering I don't like is when someone get's offended, and things start to get nasty/personal.  Otherwise, I'm happy following a thread wherever it goes, until it doesn't interest me any longer.

Edited by hotshot

One of my weakest skill sets is in the arena of finishing.  So regardless of the original topic if I see some finishing technique that is interesting I will jump in and ask questions regarding that technique.  Hijack maybe, but within the scope of the original post, I think so.  There are some very talented folks here and their eagerness to share is why I hang out here.  I have a wood shop and the scroll saw is just one of my tools but wood knowledge is wood knowledge.  Thanks to all for sharing.  :D  Russ