Sit or Stand - do you have a preference?

new2woodwrk

I have been rotating through my fleet of saws and am currently using the 788 for my primary coin cutting saw.  I need to be very close to the work piece for the magnifier/4x glasses in order for me to see clearly.  The saw is doing amazingly well, but the saw sits a little too high for my chair.  I'm currently looking for the right seating arrangement.  Standing while bending over the saw to get close enough would be very difficult for me to do for any reasonable length of time.

On the Hegner/Hawk, I'm not cutting coins, so I usually stand as I don't need to have my face so close to the table.  I also have a high bar chair that I use on the Hegner.

------Randy

For those looking for a stool, keep checking the used office furniture stores, or put in a request with them for a draftsman's stool. Comfortable cushion, adjustable height, and wheels like a secretary chair. There aren't many draftsmen around anymore that work on drafting tables. They all use computers now, so these stools and the big drafting tables are becoming surplus. Only graphic artists seem to be looking for them now.

Charley

I prefer to sit because of a bad back, I only stand at the saw if I really have to. I've tried standing while cutting when I first got my saw, but I could only saw for short periods of time. So I tried sitting while using the saw, and I could continue cutting for hours non-stop. Now I have a very comfortable old office chair that I use, it's on wheels and it swivels. When I first started using it, it bothered my legs a lot. So I tried using it with the back of the chair facing the saw, this made the front of the chair lower then the back. Doing this made all of the difference in me being comfortable, the lower front didn't bother my legs any longer. y EX bought me a beautiful looking chair at Costco, it looked a lot like an Indian motorcycle seat. I gave it a good try, but it just wasn't comfortable to use at the saw. What I had for a problem with it, was with the way it was shaped. With the shape of it, you had a leg on each side of the chair part. But sitting that way, caused my legs to go to sleep. I just about broke my neck one night because of that seat, I didn't realize my leg was asleep. And I tried to step off the thing, causing me to fall onto the concrete basement floor. That was the last time I sat on that seat, I was not willing to risk getting injured from sitting on iy.

Len

I used to stand, and built a stand for my saw that was the correct height for me to do so. I thought it was better because I could move around and be where I wanted to be when cutting larger pieces. But recently I found a nice little shop seat, put castors on it, and cut my saw stand down to match. It's not quite as mobile as I was on my feet, but the comfort and lack of strain on my feet and back make it worth it.

On 2/12/2018 at 6:13 PM, new2woodwrk said:

So far I've only stood while scrolling.

I don't mind standing, but being an old fart I'm finding it fairly limiting in that I only do a few pieces during a session?

I don't have a sit down bench and don't really think I have any room to put one if I were to build one.

Do you prefer sitting or standing when you scroll?

Thanks in advance

i have a bad knee and i am very limited on shop space as well. i bought a cheap folding stool that i can hang up when not needed. but for me sitting helps me concentrate on just my cutting. 

Bought a stool for my scrolling bench: - It raises and lowers and is the perfect height for not only scrolling, but also working on my finishing and assembly benches.

And best of all it was CHEAP LOL - got it on amazon 67% off AND I don't have to build another cart LOL (which I can't fit anyway)

scroll-chair-on-sale.thumb.jpg.98e9b1a7185308f447a54a8248c33242.jpg

Edited by new2woodwrk

• 1 month later...

I sit on a stool but would rather sit in a chair. Unfortunately the Hawk comes with it's own stand. They have a stand that is wheelchair compatible which might work but I'n not about to spend the money for it. I suppose the legs could be removed and remounted on a low stand but I'll live with the stool.