Hawk 226 VS (2004 model) Dust

3Dface

i had seen a post about the hawk not having dust collection. i guess i was lucky that the one i bought had a 7/8' hole right under the lower blade holder. but i bet this would work bringing it in from the side as well.

made from a few PVC adapters and some 3/4" pipe i came up with this. i put on a cap and drilled 3/8th" holes in it and 4 sides to keep large cuttings out of the hose. it is connected to a used household cyclone vacuum that the belt to the beater bar has been removed. this increased overall suction buy removing unnecessary pull on the motor. this is plugged into my saw's foot switch. i like the cyclone style because 1) you can see when it is getting full and 2) it is only a matter of pulling off the canister to empty.

it has worked better than i had hoped.

(the photo showing the adapter under the blade holder was taken after cutting a 22 hole portrait without cleaning the deck after)

IMG_20180130_203644.jpg

IMG_20180130_203625.jpg

IMG_20180205_205710.jpg

IMG_20180205_205744.jpg

Edited by 3Dface

• 8 months later...

Howdy!

That's a cool Idea! Except I don't remember my BM 226 havin' a hole in the platform under the bottom blade holder:( been awhile since I been to the shop due to health reasons. I'll have to have look see at it! I like that idea!!!!:):) Thanks for the pictures, Sir!

Edited by SCROLLSAW703

27 minutes ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

Howdy!

That's a cool Idea! Except I don't remember my 226 havin' a hole in the platform under the bottom blade holder:( been awhile since I been to the shop due to health reasons. I'll have to have look see at it! I like that idea!!!!:):) Thanks for the pictures, Sir!

I hope you get feeling better Brad. Stay active if you can.

7 hours ago, octoolguy said:

I hope you get feeling better Brad. Stay active if you can. 

Howdy Mr. Ray! Good to hear from you, my friend! I am goin' to physical therapy twice a week again, and they are workin' on my back again.:( I tore it up perty serious like two weeks ago, and I ain't navigatin' to good, Sir. Our Sawbones prescribed  a muscle relaxer this week, and that has started to help some. I can at least stand up now. I have had two major surgeries on my lower back as it is, I am perty concerned we may be headed for a third. I tore it up right good, Mr. Ray. It has been a rough couple of weeks. Thank you kindly for your thoughts, My friend. I sincerely appreciate it. I'll send you a pm with more details. Look after yourself, Sir. Brad.

3 hours ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

Howdy Mr. Ray! Good to hear from you, my friend! I am goin' to physical therapy twice a week again, and they are workin' on my back again.:( I tore it up perty serious like two weeks ago, and I ain't navigatin' to good, Sir. Our Sawbones prescribed  a muscle relaxer this week, and that has started to help some. I can at least stand up now. I have had two major surgeries on my lower back as it is, I am perty concerned we may be headed for a third. I tore it up right good, Mr. Ray. It has been a rough couple of weeks. Thank you kindly for your thoughts, My friend. I sincerely appreciate it. I'll send you a pm with more details. Look after yourself, Sir. Brad.

I don't think there is anything worse than a bad back. It can totally immobilize you and what kind of life is that?

You're right about that, my friend. It is very painful, and affects everything you do. I have had back issues for years. I rode bulls in High School for four years. Then sit in a pilot seat of a truck the rest of my life in the trucking business. In 2009, I came in off the road with viral meningitis. I spent 8 1/2 months in our little village hospital here in St. Francis, KS. Nearly died before all that was over, Lost complete use of both legs, and partial use of my left arm and hand. I underwent over a years' worth of intense physical therapy to learn to walk again, and regain the strength in my left arm and hand. About a year after that, I began to go down hill again, and started havin' severe pain in my lower back, numbness down my legs, in my feet, my hands and fingertips. We finally found a Sawbones in Johnstown, Colorado that'd take me on.

We went up there for the first visit. He sent us to Loveland to a big hospital where they took several MRI pictures, CT scans, blood work, etc. By the time we got back to his office that afternoon, he already had them pictures. We had a look see at them. He looked me square in the eye and told me flat out "with that mess goin' on in yer back, I don't know how the hell you're even walkin'!!!" I had four bone spurs in my back startin' at S1, another one at L4, another one about mid back, and another'n between my shoulder blades. He told us them come from the attempted spinal taps the resident OB done on me the evening Mary Ann took me to the ER when I came in off the truck. He said she hit me 4 times, and missed all four times. Now I've got bone spurs in my spine because of that. 

The worst one was at S1. It had grown into the spinal column, and was putting pressure against the spinal cord, creating enough pressure there that it would not allow me to stand up straight. It was causing the burning and tingling in my legs, feet, and hands. So, surgery was our only option. two weeks later, we were in Loveland, going into back surgery. Now to some, back surgery may not sound like it's a very serious situation, but to others of us, it becomes a question of trust. It'd only take one wrong move in there, and I'd never walk again. On the other hand, I was at that point now. The bone spur was putting enough pressure on the spinal cord and the few nerves left in the spinal column, it was about to cut the spinal cord in two. So the choice was an easy one to make.

After an 8 hour surgery, the back surgeon told my bride they had a serious mess to clean up when they got in there. He said all the nerves in my lower back were laying at the bottom of my spine in a tangled mess. He told Mary Ann it looked like a roll of old barb wire. They not only had to do a fusion in my lower back, but they had to sort out all those nerves and get them back where they were supposed to be. He told Mary Ann the cause for that was the meningitis and sittin' in a pilot seat of a truck all my life. 

In a couple of days, I was up moving around, pain free! That was the best part! I just wanted to walk!!! Without all that pain! Well, as the story goes, nothin' good ever lasts. My last back surgery was in December of 2016, and from the sounds of what my Sawbones is saying, there is a good possibility I am lookin' at surgery #3 in the near future. So, that is my sob story for the day. My apologies for the length. I am trying to deal with therapy and muscle relaxers, and get back into the shop some. I have ongoing projects that are in dire need of my attention. Sittin' at my Hawk is the trick. About 30 - 45 minutes at a time is all I can handle for now, and I have to get up and move. 

Gentlemen, my apologies for goin' on like this. It wasn't planned, but it is what it is. I appreciate all your thoughts. Keep makin' sawdust! It's that time of year! Look after yourselves, and by all means, keep in touch! thank you for your time.

Brad.

15 hours ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

Howdy!

That's a cool Idea! Except I don't remember my BM 226 havin' a hole in the platform under the bottom blade holder:( been awhile since I been to the shop due to health reasons. I'll have to have look see at it! I like that idea!!!!:):) Thanks for the pictures, Sir!

i hope you heal quick. i took a break from the shop for a week after a show and will be forced to do so again , having a knee replaced.

ask your doc about "voltaren gel", both my wife and i use it. for my knee and her back. i go from hobbling to walking in about 20 min.

thank you for your comment and i hope you make it back in the shop before i do.

Edited by 3Dface

2 hours ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

You're right about that, my friend. It is very painful, and affects everything you do. I have had back issues for years. I rode bulls in High School for four years. Then sit in a pilot seat of a truck the rest of my life in the trucking business. In 2009, I came in off the road with viral meningitis. I spent 8 1/2 months in our little village hospital here in St. Francis, KS. Nearly died before all that was over, Lost complete use of both legs, and partial use of my left arm and hand. I underwent over a years' worth of intense physical therapy to learn to walk again, and regain the strength in my left arm and hand. About a year after that, I began to go down hill again, and started havin' severe pain in my lower back, numbness down my legs, in my feet, my hands and fingertips. We finally found a Sawbones in Johnstown, Colorado that'd take me on.

We went up there for the first visit. He sent us to Loveland to a big hospital where they took several MRI pictures, CT scans, blood work, etc. By the time we got back to his office that afternoon, he already had them pictures. We had a look see at them. He looked me square in the eye and told me flat out "with that mess goin' on in yer back, I don't know how the hell you're even walkin'!!!" I had four bone spurs in my back startin' at S1, another one at L4, another one about mid back, and another'n between my shoulder blades. He told us them come from the attempted spinal taps the resident OB done on me the evening Mary Ann took me to the ER when I came in off the truck. He said she hit me 4 times, and missed all four times. Now I've got bone spurs in my spine because of that. 

The worst one was at S1. It had grown into the spinal column, and was putting pressure against the spinal cord, creating enough pressure there that it would not allow me to stand up straight. It was causing the burning and tingling in my legs, feet, and hands. So, surgery was our only option. two weeks later, we were in Loveland, going into back surgery. Now to some, back surgery may not sound like it's a very serious situation, but to others of us, it becomes a question of trust. It'd only take one wrong move in there, and I'd never walk again. On the other hand, I was at that point now. The bone spur was putting enough pressure on the spinal cord and the few nerves left in the spinal column, it was about to cut the spinal cord in two. So the choice was an easy one to make.

After an 8 hour surgery, the back surgeon told my bride they had a serious mess to clean up when they got in there. He said all the nerves in my lower back were laying at the bottom of my spine in a tangled mess. He told Mary Ann it looked like a roll of old barb wire. They not only had to do a fusion in my lower back, but they had to sort out all those nerves and get them back where they were supposed to be. He told Mary Ann the cause for that was the meningitis and sittin' in a pilot seat of a truck all my life. 

In a couple of days, I was up moving around, pain free! That was the best part! I just wanted to walk!!! Without all that pain! Well, as the story goes, nothin' good ever lasts. My last back surgery was in December of 2016, and from the sounds of what my Sawbones is saying, there is a good possibility I am lookin' at surgery #3 in the near future. So, that is my sob story for the day. My apologies for the length. I am trying to deal with therapy and muscle relaxers, and get back into the shop some. I have ongoing projects that are in dire need of my attention. Sittin' at my Hawk is the trick. About 30 - 45 minutes at a time is all I can handle for now, and I have to get up and move. 

Gentlemen, my apologies for goin' on like this. It wasn't planned, but it is what it is. I appreciate all your thoughts. Keep makin' sawdust! It's that time of year! Look after yourselves, and by all means, keep in touch! thank you for your time.

Brad.

brad, no sorry needed man. i have seen first hand how hard back troubles are. i will send nothing but positive energy your way and hope this is fixed soon.

Howdy,

I sincerely appreciate your thoughts and concerns 3D! That means an awful lot to me, my friend! That is one of the biggest reasons I enjoy this site so much. Everyone here cares about one another like family. This is the first site I have ever had much involvement with that folks treat one another with respect, dignity, and the courtesy we all deserve. Not nitpick at one another, and rundown the way a person posts something, or their spellin', or wording, or what they have to say. I have been involved with numerous other sites that I no longer associate with just for those reasons. Life is to short for extra drama. I am not there to be judged for my posts or my grammar. I admit, some of mine ain't the shiniest, but I try to get it proper to keep from bein' judged. 

My scroll experience speaks for itself. I feel like I don't have to explain anything to anybody. I learn something new with every project, and if I get myself in a tight, right here is the first place I come huntin' for answers because I know there is far more knowledge here than I have in the 25+ years of scrolling I have. I don't know everything, and don't claim to. But if I read someone's post and can offer advice or help, I will do my best to do so. I ain't the type to horn in if I can't do any good. 

I have a great deal of respect for every scroller here, and enjoy the company of you all. It makes me feel at home here when I read the comments you leave on my posts. I feel like I have done something that helped someone that way!:) Bein' laid up is absolutely no fun! And I have had my hat full of it the last year or so. Scroll Saw Village has allowed me to post, chime in, and be involved with everyone while I'm not active in the shop. It helps to keep my mind and hands busy in several ways. I am a technical type fella. I need to be doin' something with my hands and my mind, or my mind just sits and spins, if that makes any sense. 

I certainly appreciate your thoughts, 3D. Keep them coming Sir. You are welcome to call anytime. My cell number is (785)772-7321. If I don't catch your phone call, leave a  message, and I will call you back. I don't always hear my phone. 

Look after yourself, my friend. Thank you again for your response. I sincerely appreciate your support! 

Brad

12 hours ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

Brad.

Brad, please don't apologize for going on at length. Sometimes a person just needs to talk to somebody. We are here for you. I think that is what makes this place what it is. A bunch of folks who may not know each other personally but are here for each other when needed. I know that I have had that feeling from the beginning and I'll bet the others pretty much feel the same way. We are all pulling for you to feel GOOD again. Hang in there, follow the doctor's orders and keep on scrolling.

1 hour ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

Howdy,

I sincerely appreciate your thoughts and concerns 3D! That means an awful lot to me, my friend! That is one of the biggest reasons I enjoy this site so much. Everyone here cares about one another like family. This is the first site I have ever had much involvement with that folks treat one another with respect, dignity, and the courtesy we all deserve. Not nitpick at one another, and rundown the way a person posts something, or their spellin', or wording, or what they have to say. I have been involved with numerous other sites that I no longer associate with just for those reasons. Life is to short for extra drama. I am not there to be judged for my posts or my grammar. I admit, some of mine ain't the shiniest, but I try to get it proper to keep from bein' judged. 

My scroll experience speaks for itself. I feel like I don't have to explain anything to anybody. I learn something new with every project, and if I get myself in a tight, right here is the first place I come huntin' for answers because I know there is far more knowledge here than I have in the 25+ years of scrolling I have. I don't know everything, and don't claim to. But if I read someone's post and can offer advice or help, I will do my best to do so. I ain't the type to horn in if I can't do any good. 

I have a great deal of respect for every scroller here, and enjoy the company of you all. It makes me feel at home here when I read the comments you leave on my posts. I feel like I have done something that helped someone that way!:) Bein' laid up is absolutely no fun! And I have had my hat full of it the last year or so. Scroll Saw Village has allowed me to post, chime in, and be involved with everyone while I'm not active in the shop. It helps to keep my mind and hands busy in several ways. I am a technical type fella. I need to be doin' something with my hands and my mind, or my mind just sits and spins, if that makes any sense. 

I certainly appreciate your thoughts, 3D. Keep them coming Sir. You are welcome to call anytime. My cell number is (785)772-7321. If I don't catch your phone call, leave a  message, and I will call you back. I don't always hear my phone. 

Look after yourself, my friend. Thank you again for your response. I sincerely appreciate your support! 

Brad

sorry i should have signed "- chris"

i have found SSV to be as you described. i have also been to sites that seem to have "cliques" . i would post or ask questions and not only get no haswers but most of the time no views even though the board is active.

i feel excepted here. even though i do a lot of "non-traditional " scrolling. i am thankful for all here as well.

2 minutes ago, 3Dface said:

i have found SSV to be as you described. i have also been to sites that seem to have "cliques" . i would post or ask questions and not only get no haswers but most of the time no views even though the board is active.

i feel excepted here. even though i do a lot of "non-traditional " scrolling. i am thankful for all here as well.

I have got to have a friend in "Monkey's Eyebrow" Ky. Never have before.

29 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

I have got to have a friend in "Monkey's Eyebrow" Ky. Never have before.

thanks ray....i lived there years ago but but keep it because i left it on my facebook. i now live in olive, but i'm not far from possum trot .🤡

but hay this also means you have a friend that lived in Lame Deer, Mt!!! also Metropolis, Il. home of Superman!!!

Edited by 3Dface

5 hours ago, 3Dface said:

thanks ray....i lived there years ago but but keep it because i left it on my facebook. i now live in olive, but i'm not far from possum trot .🤡

but hay this also means you have a friend that lived in Lame Deer, Mt!!! also Metropolis, Il. home of Superman!!!

And here I thought I had been everywhere. I guess we better hook up and hit the road again. I WISH!

Edited by octoolguy

Howdy gentlemen,

I sincerely appreciate your understanding and concern. That means a lot to me. Mr. Ray, you hit the nail on the head, my friend! More times than not, a feller needs someone just to chat with to keep his mind set and disposition in order. Other times, after you have had so much time sittin' around the house, and goin' to Sawbones appointments and all ya hear is you can't do this anymore, or don't this any longer because your health is no longer able to stand it, and then come back home and it's the same ol' garbage on tv, and ya feel like the walls are closin' in on you.:(:( The worse ya want to get out to the shop, the more obstacles there are to climb over to get to the shop door! And at the end of the day, you're still stuck  in the house.:( 

So, yes, it does help to come here and be able to get involved in some of the posts, and see what everyone is up to, when I can. I haven't spent near the time here I used to. Back and leg pain will not allow me to sit for very long periods of time. I have been trying to put together a new project I can use in my bed and my recliner. A computer desk of sorts. I am considering using 3/4'' baltic birch plywood & putting risers under it so it sits at a slight angle. I also want to cut a a partial circle out of the back side of it so it can be pulled up to me and fit around me better to suit my needs, either in my chair, or in the confines of my bed. I am considering putting shelf liner on the bottom of the risers to create a smooth surface to sit on the chair arms or bed without leaving wood splinters. I also may take my router and go about an 1/8" deep into the plywood as a place for my computer to sit into. I have some other ideas, as well. But taking these online classes, I spend a lot of time on line and and on the computer, but I am  not always able to sit here in my office chair for 3 or 4 hours at a time to get my book learnin' done of an evening. Any better Ideas would be greatly appreciated, if you come with anything. This is what goes thru my mind when my hands, eyes, and my few rocks in the pond are settin' idle.;)

The measurements I have come up with to this point, and please don't ask me to draw this out because that is way beyond my technological capabilities.:( The width across my arm chair is 34". From the back of the chair out to my knees measures 15 1/2" on both sides. And from the bottom of my elbows to the top of the arm of the chair measures 9". That height would bring the desk top up to a reasonable working level sitting in my chair. Like I said, I have a couple other projects in the works going on the shop at the present time, so this one is just in the plannin' stages. Any suggestions or better ideas are welcome.

Thank you for your time, gentlemen.

Brad.

18 minutes ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

Howdy gentlemen,

I sincerely appreciate your understanding and concern. That means a lot to me. Mr. Ray, you hit the nail on the head, my friend! More times than not, a feller needs someone just to chat with to keep his mind set and disposition in order. Other times, after you have had so much time sittin' around the house, and goin' to Sawbones appointments and all ya hear is you can't do this anymore, or don't this any longer because your health is no longer able to stand it, and then come back home and it's the same ol' garbage on tv, and ya feel like the walls are closin' in on you.:(:( The worse ya want to get out to the shop, the more obstacles there are to climb over to get to the shop door! And at the end of the day, you're still stuck  in the house.:( 

So, yes, it does help to come here and be able to get involved in some of the posts, and see what everyone is up to, when I can. I haven't spent near the time here I used to. Back and leg pain will not allow me to sit for very long periods of time. I have been trying to put together a new project I can use in my bed and my recliner. A computer desk of sorts. I am considering using 3/4'' baltic birch plywood & putting risers under it so it sits at a slight angle. I also want to cut a a partial circle out of the back side of it so it can be pulled up to me and fit around me better to suit my needs, either in my chair, or in the confines of my bed. I am considering putting shelf liner on the bottom of the risers to create a smooth surface to sit on the chair arms or bed without leaving wood splinters. I also may take my router and go about an 1/8" deep into the plywood as a place for my computer to sit into. I have some other ideas, as well. But taking these online classes, I spend a lot of time on line and and on the computer, but I am  not always able to sit here in my office chair for 3 or 4 hours at a time to get my book learnin' done of an evening. Any better Ideas would be greatly appreciated, if you come with anything. This is what goes thru my mind when my hands, eyes, and my few rocks in the pond are settin' idle.;)

The measurements I have come up with to this point, and please don't ask me to draw this out because that is way beyond my technological capabilities.:( The width across my arm chair is 34". From the back of the chair out to my knees measures 15 1/2" on both sides. And from the bottom of my elbows to the top of the arm of the chair measures 9". That height would bring the desk top up to a reasonable working level sitting in my chair. Like I said, I have a couple other projects in the works going on the shop at the present time, so this one is just in the plannin' stages. Any suggestions or better ideas are welcome.

Thank you for your time, gentlemen.

Brad.

Well Brad, you said it. A picture of some kind might help us to come up with some ideas. A sketch would be great. I take it that you want a desk of some sort in your easy chair to write on and also to hold your computer?
On a different subject, if you are looking for hobbies or something to stretch your brain, I might suggest learning to woodcarve. I got into that while we were out on the road and I needed a hobby that didn't take up any room and didn't add any weight to the fifth wheel. Also, I have gotten interested in micro-electronics. Do a google search on "arduino". It's really interesting and if you have any electrical knowledge at all, it's something that you can build on and learn how to do some programming at the same time. Not too much of an investment either. I have read a ton and watched a lot of videos on the subject. Also, do a search on "instructables". There are tons of things on there that you can make and do. The key here is to keep your brain working and learning. I'm 75 and I know that there is still a whole world of stuff for me to learn. The trick then becomes how to merge all the hobbies into one. I'm working on that.

6 hours ago, 3Dface said:

I understand what you're saying, Mr. Chris. No offense, Sir, but imo, when you make the decision to scroll is your choice, If that's what makes your flowers grow, just get right after it, my friend! I ain't here to judge other folks' work, or choice of style. That's on you. Own it, and be proud of your choices, sir.

I can tell you from personal experience that it took me a long time to decide what I enjoyed cuttin'. I was raised in the truckin' business, and drove as an Owner/Operator for several years, and then retired out as an OTR driver for one of the best men I ever drove for. Trucking is my first love, then my bride.;) I started out 25+ years ago with an old Crapsman single speed scrollsaw doin' nothin' but creatin' customized firewood. It took me awhile to get things figured out. I spent a lot of time reading while I was on the road, and in the 36 hours I had at home, bein's this brilliant idea was my brides', I was able to spend a few hours burnin' up blades. 

In all the reading I done about scroll saw work, and projects, the capabilities of the scroll saw, etc., the "traditional" scroll sawing was mentioned several times. It took me A LOT more reading to figure out what they were meaning by that. The best conclusion I could come up with for it was what everybody else is doin'! I ain't much of a follower, Sir! I have my own interests just the same as the next feller does. So, not bein' of the artistic type, I began looking for things that tickled my fancy when I was on the road. Signs, pictures, sayings, faces, etc. I am a history NUT!!!! 

I began getting deeper into western history more. I started making dream catchers, cowboy creations, agriculture creations. Cuttin' my own feathers for my dream catchers. Name plates, livestock, etc. 

Go with what interests you and fascinates you! The more you get into some of those projects, the more you will learn about yourself, and about scrolling itself. It won't be long and you'll be scrollin' with top notch results!;) 

Brad.

11 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Well Brad, you said it. A picture of some kind might help us to come up with some ideas. A sketch would be great. I take it that you want a desk of some sort in your easy chair to write on and also to hold your computer?
On a different subject, if you are looking for hobbies or something to stretch your brain, I might suggest learning to woodcarve. I got into that while we were out on the road and I needed a hobby that didn't take up any room and didn't add any weight to the fifth wheel. Also, I have gotten interested in micro-electronics. Do a google search on "arduino". It's really interesting and if you have any electrical knowledge at all, it's something that you can build on and learn how to do some programming at the same time. Not too much of an investment either. I have read a ton and watched a lot of videos on the subject. Also, do a search on "instructables". There are tons of things on there that you can make and do. The key here is to keep your brain working and learning. I'm 75 and I know that there is still a whole world of stuff for me to learn. The trick then becomes how to merge all the hobbies into one. I'm working on that.

Howdy Mr. Ray.

You are exactly right, my friend! Exactly what you described is what I am wantin' to create. Tomorrow I will see if I can come with a sketch and then see if I can figure out how to get on here so you folks can see what a country boys' art work looks like.;) My bride gives me fits on a regular basis on account of I don't draw out a sketch of my projects and measurements. She says to me "just how do you remember all those measurements, angles, and things, and you can't even remember my grocery list!"😉😆 Sometimes I have to get creative when I answer her, Mr. Ray, trust me.🙈

I have a dream catcher in the makin's at the moment. A School Mate of mine recently lost her Ma, and asked me to make a dream catcher in memory of her Ma. I have all the feathers cut, and one walnut feather and beaded thong hangin' on it now. I still have to bead the other 4 or 5 thongs for the feathers and attach the feathers to them, hang them on the catcher, then wrap the complete outside with a 1/4" black leather strip. The catcher is cut from maple, and feathers are 3/32'' thick, cut from beetle kill pine, cedar, walnut, oak, and cherry.

The other project in the works is for a ranch here for their 100th anniversary. I am cutting a Hereford bullhead in white oak, along with their brand in white oak, and then those will be inlaid in walnut and shot with my air sprayer with two coats of clear lacquer, and two coats of clear coat to seal the wood. 

But I am under heavy limitations at the moment, so I have to do what I can at one time, and leave the rest till the next round.

I appreciate your reply, Mr. Ray.

Brad.

20 hours ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

Brad.

Brad, Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling all that great.. I sure hope you can get to feeling better and be able to get out in the shop to make some sawdust... I've been wondering the last few weeks where you been and how you been doing..  

Reading through the post here.. and Ray mentioned about wood carving.. I've never tried that but I also just wanted to say that one can do wonderful woodwork with just a cheap ol wood burning kit too... which is something you can probably do right in the house without making a big sawdust mess.. though they might smell up the house like a campfire you may want to put a fan in the window and suck the smoke out.. anyway.. just a thought..

Praying for you to get to feeling better 

14 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Brad, Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling all that great.. I sure hope you can get to feeling better and be able to get out in the shop to make some sawdust... I've been wondering the last few weeks where you been and how you been doing..  

Reading through the post here.. and Ray mentioned about wood carving.. I've never tried that but I also just wanted to say that one can do wonderful woodwork with just a cheap ol wood burning kit too... which is something you can probably do right in the house without making a big sawdust mess.. though they might smell up the house like a campfire you may want to put a fan in the window and suck the smoke out.. anyway.. just a thought..

Praying for you to get to feeling better 

Great idea Kevin. I have been toying with the idea of pyrography but when I started looking at what they cost to get a decent burner and all the different tips, I sort of lost interest. I would still like to be able to "dress up" my projects when called for. I may have to sit back and see what all gets written about the subject here on SSV

Okay, pardon me, if I butt in but you so not need real expensive equipment.....  Check out

https://www.minisapyrography.com/

I have one of her disc... and this is what she recommends/uses:

https://www.walnuthollow.com/store/wood-burning/tools/items/creative-versa-tool-/38283/

Coarse,,,, I found out talent was not included....!   I do not have one of these tools, I have one my wife bought for me years ago.... it was an expensive piece of gear... and it also did not include talent.😣