Scroll Saw Clubs & Organizations

Travis

Hidden

There are a lot of people looking for local scroll saw clubs. So if you belong to a scroll saw club or organization, post your club details here. Include contact info, website, meeting times or any other information you feel is important. Hopefully we can get a really good list going. Thanks!

Ademdum:

We have started a wiki page that lists all of the clubs and organizations. If you belong to a scroll saw club and you're not listed on this wiki page, be sure to add it (or post it here and someone will add it for you). If you ARE listed, please add more information about your organization. This is a great way to advertise your club and hopefully recruit a few more members.

You can find the wiki page at: Clubs & Organizations

• 3 weeks later...
Hidden

Hi from the Syracuse, NY scrolling community. We have a scrolling group here - it is an interest group within the Sawdust and Woodchips Woodworking Association (SWWA). Our scrolling group meets at 6:30pm on the third Wednesday of each month at the Canton Woods Senior Center in Baldwinsville. We just had a lively meeting last week with five guests and 20 some members and one of our members talking about how me constructs his intarsia boxes . Our next meeting is Feburary 18th when we will have William Killabrew speak about miniature scrolling. Everyone is invited to attend. Our club website is http://www.sawdustwoodchips.org. I am working on a rebuild but it still has some great information including our monthly newsletter. If you have questions or want more information, please email me - barbchas@twcny.rr.com

Barbara Raymond

Hidden

Hi from lake effect land. I recently started scroll sawing and looking for some kind of club to learn more. Till I seen this board I only was able to find one the the rochester New York area. That is a little out of the way for me(I am in Hannibal N.Y.). The group out of the baldwinsville area sound like a great start for me with the only execption is the meeting are during the week at night. I have to work night. Are the any other options??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hidden

Barbara I must check out your group next time I'm in New York.. I grew up in Baldwinsville.. lived there till I was 18.. been in South Carolina every since.. hoping to get up that way this summer.. want to do some genealogy searching.. as alot of my family are from that vacinity and Oswego county.. wish we had something like that here..

• 3 weeks later...
Hidden

I've started a list of a bunch of scroll saw clubs on the wiki. You can find a link to the list on the front page of the wiki, or just click Clubs & Organizations

I have a pretty good start and I'm constantly adding more, but I need help. If you belong to a scroll saw club and you're not listed on the wiki list, be sure to add it (or post it here and someone will add it for you). If you ARE listed, please add more information about your organization. I only have the basic information and I'm not sure how accurate it is.

You can find the wiki page at: Clubs & Organizations

Please note this list is for established clubs only. To be included in the list, the club must have a club name and some sort of organization (formal or not). Some of the lists I find on the internet will just list an individual's name. I don't consider this a club but rather an individual looking to form a club. In my eyes, "John Doe" is not a club whereas "Middle America Scroll Saw Club" is. If you're interested in starting a club, a forum thread is the most appropriate place to seek others to start a club with.

Thanks for the help!

• 4 weeks later...
Hidden

Our scroll saw club is part of the "Albury-Wodonga Woodcrafters" in Australia.

There are about 16 regular scrollers that come to our Wednesday scroll morning. There is something going on almost every day of the week... Monday night is furniture night, Tuesday boxmaking, WEdenesday morning scrolling, in the afternoon turning, Friday is carving and Saturday pyrography. We have over 100 members and our own shed filled with wonderful woodworking machinery.

kejuvy@gmail.com

Hidden
Our scroll saw club is part of the "Albury-Wodonga Woodcrafters" in Australia.

There are about 16 regular scrollers that come to our Wednesday scroll morning. There is something going on almost every day of the week... Monday night is furniture night, Tuesday boxmaking, WEdenesday morning scrolling, in the afternoon turning, Friday is carving and Saturday pyrography. We have over 100 members and our own shed filled with wonderful woodworking machinery.

kejuvy@gmail.com

Thanks for the info. You can find your Wiki entry here. Let me know if I missed anything. :)

Hidden

I've finally given up finding enough people around here who scroll for a dedicated club. Hell, I have hard enough time finding enough people who know what a scrollsaw is. At the show last weekend, I couldn't believe the number of dumbfounded looks I got when I answered that the work was cut on a scrollsaw. What was funny was the ones who tried to ACT like they had a clue what I was talking about. So I try to teach as much as I can hoping that some people may take an interest. Usually though, the ones who listen intently with great interest are the same ones who exclaim in the end "Wow, I haven't got the patience".

Anyway, enough of my rambling. I have an idea about maybe in the future starting just a woodworking club. Then after everything is going, and everyone is comfortable, springing the scrollsaw on them. "Surprise men, guess what we're learning this meeting?"

Hidden

Yah, I think a woodworking club might be easier to put together. Most people who know what a scroll saw is probably don't know what it can do. Going through the club list, I find that many of them are woodworking clubs with a special interest group in scrolling within that club. Keep asking around. Maybe put your location in your profile so others can find you too. Who knows, you might stumble into one...LOL. Until then, you can use SSV as your clubhouse! ;)

• 1 month later...
Hidden

I would be interested in attending one of those scroll saw shows. The only ones I could find this year were in Texas and Wisconsin. I live in VA and that's quite a schlep from here. There used to be one in Lancaster, PA, but that was cancelled for this year(poor attendance?). Maybe there are more but I don't know about them. Anybody know? Be nice to have a listing. The only info I get is from my scrolling mags.

• 2 months later...
Hidden

Hi,

Our small scroll saw club, about 12 members now, have for the second year running, had a stand at our local Wood Show. We don't sell, just try to promote scroll sawing and in doing so increase our membership a bit. Last year's efforts resulted in about four new members. another reason for not selling is that that was part of the deal with the Show as we paid nothing for the stand.

Interest again was very good and yet again, as last year, we were surprised with the number of people you said 'I've one of those in the shed'.

Will attach some pictures.

Regards,

Bob H.

2009woodshow004.jpg2009woodshow005.jpg2009woodshow006.jpg2009woodshow004.jpg

• 4 weeks later...