Drill Press's

kmmcrafts

I've been considering buying a couple drill press's.. Anyone else have a few drill press's?  I'd like to set up a drill press dedicated to my 1-3/8" forstner bit.. every time I have to change the dang bit from mini drill bits to forestner bit to this to that, LOL... My drill press is a old Delta 8" bench top and changing the speed requires moving the belt from the stack of pulleys.. I run it on a faster speed for mini drill bits and slowest speed for the forstner bits.. Cannot tell you how many times a week I switch back and forth.. Not a big deal when doing inventory as I'll cut a bunch of clocks then change the set up to the forstner bit and drill 30 -40 at a time.. but when I get those made to order sales and have to crank out just one clock.... just not getting it with me..

So just looking for tips on what to look for in a drill press.. Probably just another small benchtop but open to ideas.. The one I have now is my first one that I picked up 12+ years ago at a tractor swap meet.. Best $2 tool I ever bought I think. Some things I wish it had.. probably number one is.. a geared table adjustment ( crank it to move table up or down ).. and some sort of lever to adjust the speed.. However if I dedicate a drill for certain jobs.. then this wouldn't quite be as necessary.. Deeper throat to drill bigger projects could be a plus..

I'll likely buy something used or cheap..harbor freight since I'm just looking for a dedicated machine.. but.. I could use the one I have now for the dedicated Forstner one and buy a better one for pilot holes etc.. Thought about the seyco drill thing but a little pricey for a dedicated pilot hole drill..  not many projects I make that need more than what my drill press can do and if I got one just a little deeper throat then I don't see having that issue at all.. or very little..

33 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

I've been considering buying a couple drill press's.. Anyone else have a few drill press's?  I'd like to set up a drill press dedicated to my 1-3/8" forstner bit.. every time I have to change the dang bit from mini drill bits to forestner bit to this to that, LOL... My drill press is a old Delta 8" bench top and changing the speed requires moving the belt from the stack of pulleys.. I run it on a faster speed for mini drill bits and slowest speed for the forstner bits.. Cannot tell you how many times a week I switch back and forth.. Not a big deal when doing inventory as I'll cut a bunch of clocks then change the set up to the forstner bit and drill 30 -40 at a time.. but when I get those made to order sales and have to crank out just one clock.... just not getting it with me..

So just looking for tips on what to look for in a drill press.. Probably just another small benchtop but open to ideas.. The one I have now is my first one that I picked up 12+ years ago at a tractor swap meet.. Best $2 tool I ever bought I think. Some things I wish it had.. probably number one is.. a geared table adjustment ( crank it to move table up or down ).. and some sort of lever to adjust the speed.. However if I dedicate a drill for certain jobs.. then this wouldn't quite be as necessary.. Deeper throat to drill bigger projects could be a plus..

I'll likely buy something used or cheap..harbor freight since I'm just looking for a dedicated machine.. but.. I could use the one I have now for the dedicated Forstner one and buy a better one for pilot holes etc.. Thought about the seyco drill thing but a little pricey for a dedicated pilot hole drill..  not many projects I make that need more than what my drill press can do and if I got one just a little deeper throat then I don't see having that issue at all.. or very little..

Kevin, I have found that the H/F drill presses seem to be very highly recommended. I have no personal experience with them but I have been toying with replacing the small Delta unit that I bought off of eBay a few years back. It's major downfall is not having a crank up table. Not a big thing but still......Anyway, for the price, the H/F presses deserve some looking at. Oh, one other thing that I feel is important is the ability to be able to lock the quill in any position. My Delta won't do that and I miss that feature from my old press. It's nice to be able to bring the quill down to a certain point and lock it down at that setting.

Ray

Edited by octoolguy

I have a 12" craftsman I bought 1 1/2 years go (April 2016). I just sent it in for repair (after pulling what is left of my hair out trying to find out who to send it to), and was told yesterday by the repair tech, it came more damaged than when I dropped it off at the store that sent it.

The reason I bring this up is, the repair was for a wobble - the bit would wobble slightly and wouldn't make a clean hole.

The tech agreed that something had to be defective as it should have lasted a lot longer that 1 1/2 years. And of course it is out of warranty and I never buy extended warranties on anything

So the moral of the story for me, is no more craftsman power tools - this is the 2nd craftsman power tool I've purchased within 2 years that have failed miserable (first was circ saw).

Interestingly enough, I have an old craftsman circ saw and drill  both over 30 years old and only the drill recently died.

I'm liking the Wen line of products for inexpensive power tools - they're cheap (inexpensive) and work fine for hobbyists IMO

I've bought a lot of things from HF and IMO it's hit and miss with them - at least they take things back no questions asked.

Edited by new2woodwrk

9 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

On the subject of a dedicated drill for pilot holes, there are many ways to build some sort of Dremel drill press that would be far cheaper than the Seyco unit. I was just looking at youtube the other day at how a guy made one. Check it out.

Ray

Yeah, there has been many post on here about the dremels etc.. also have to note that many dremels have very high speeds.. which will burn up bits much faster.. so be careful on the dremel you choose if you was to make one.. the savings might get eaten up in drill bits.. over a period of time.. Hobbyist maybe ok.. but in a production standpoint.. I go through enough bits every year.. don't plan on adding to those numbers, LOL.. while they are cheap bits.. just something one would have to weigh out the options..

If I was doing a lot of portrait work one of those deals would work awesome.. but most of what I do my 8" drill press if fine.. a 10 inch would make 99% of my needs..

I've looked at the HF presses a few times and pondered this idea over the last year or so.. But I haven't really looked at any reviews or anything.. and quite honestly don't know much about drill presses.. never heard of the feature you mentioned about the quill lock.. which is why I've kind of asked about them.. that seems like it could be handy..    

My drill press at home is from 1984. My dad bought it from harbor freight the year I was born. It is a little bench top unit and it works just fine for me. It makes sense to have a dedicated drill press for the clock bits and for pilot holes.

I like bench top drill presses. The big ones just look like they are wasting space underneath. I can only think of 1 time I ran out of room with the throat depth on a drill press, so the extra depth is a bit lost on me. One nice thing is the table is bigger so there is more room for jigs, which can be nice if you are doing production type things. 

For pilot holes I use a variable speed Dremel with the router attachment. Works very well. I have two inexpensive drill presses. Neither is HF. One is a bench drill. the other is a floor model. Unless I were working for NASA I would buy a HF. Usually a drill press, is a drill press, is a drill press...

1 hour ago, MrsN said:

My drill press at home is from 1984. My dad bought it from harbor freight the year I was born. It is a little bench top unit and it works just fine for me. It makes sense to have a dedicated drill press for the clock bits and for pilot holes.

I like bench top drill presses. The big ones just look like they are wasting space underneath. I can only think of 1 time I ran out of room with the throat depth on a drill press, so the extra depth is a bit lost on me. One nice thing is the table is bigger so there is more room for jigs, which can be nice if you are doing production type things. 

Many are not aware, that some drill press can be turned to give more depth access than just the table access - just an FYI

Having more then one Drill Press would be great. I have a Ryobi in my shop, bench top and would like more depth so this is something I have considered over time. I agree having to change the set up on a daily basis is a bit of a pain in the glutious maximous but a necessary evil. There are days I change my bits and setting many times to get a job done and out. But thinking about the investment I have trouble justifying the expense. Also changing the belts for speed is a pain. Keep us posted on your progress with this. 

I had thought about going the dremel route.. It'd be nice if I already had a dremel tool.. Well I do.. actually rarely used the thing even though I've burned up 3 of them over the years.. I kind of felt they aren't super reliable.. Maybe I just got three lemons LOL .. at any rate.. buying another dremel tool and then the router attachment.. looking at $60+ I can get a drill press for about that at HF.. The seyco scrollers drill is $109.. so while the dremel option is cheaper than the scrollers drill a drill press does all I need it to as well.. plus if needed could run the forestner bit if something should happen to the very old Delta drill press I have.. 

Those that do have the Dremel or Seyco scrollers drill.. How is the power drilling 1/16 or 1/8 pilot holes in 3/4" hardwood stock? The dremel tools I've had was short on power.. especially at the lower speeds.. Again.. all three tools I owed burned up fairly little use.. so maybe they wasn't working right anyway.. Also.. do you have the battery dremel or a corded one? If I went that route.. I like the idea of small compact and portable ( cordless ) so I could move to my work bench to drill holes etc.. I'm torn between the drill press and the small portable dremel or like tool..  

1 hour ago, kmmcrafts said:

I had thought about going the dremel route.. It'd be nice if I already had a dremel tool.. Well I do.. actually rarely used the thing even though I've burned up 3 of them over the years.. I kind of felt they aren't super reliable.. Maybe I just got three lemons LOL .. at any rate.. buying another dremel tool and then the router attachment.. looking at $60+ I can get a drill press for about that at HF.. The seyco scrollers drill is $109.. so while the dremel option is cheaper than the scrollers drill a drill press does all I need it to as well.. plus if needed could run the forestner bit if something should happen to the very old Delta drill press I have.. 

Those that do have the Dremel or Seyco scrollers drill.. How is the power drilling 1/16 or 1/8 pilot holes in 3/4" hardwood stock? The dremel tools I've had was short on power.. especially at the lower speeds.. Again.. all three tools I owed burned up fairly little use.. so maybe they wasn't working right anyway.. Also.. do you have the battery dremel or a corded one? If I went that route.. I like the idea of small compact and portable ( cordless ) so I could move to my work bench to drill holes etc.. I'm torn between the drill press and the small portable dremel or like tool..  

Another idea would be to purchase a cheapie cordless drill and put together some sort of a drill press contraption. You can lock the trigger in the on position on most of them if I am thinking correctly. Anyway, it might do what you want it to do.

Ray

54 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Another idea would be to purchase a cheapie cordless drill and put together some sort of a drill press contraption. You can lock the trigger in the on position on most of them if I am thinking correctly. Anyway, it might do what you want it to do.

Ray

I needed a very deep throat for a few projects.  Built my own, but with a 115v drill (I refuse to buy ANYTHING cordless).  Plenty of you tube videos for ideas. 
1.  Make plenty of adjustment range to tilt the drill forward to back & side to side.  Put a long wood dowel or metal rod in the drill  to get your 90 degrees set to the table.
3.  I mounted a ruler along side of the motor slide mount.  Look at that for a depth stop.
2.  Make the table plenty low. Add "shim" wood on top as needed.
4.  You need ear protection when using it.  The motor screams at you.

I hate HF for anything with a motor. That is just me so you all do what you want. I have 3 dremels and never burnt one up yet and in fact just bought another when they were on sale at Lowes for Christmas sales. You can go with the drill press feature or the plunge router feature with the dremel and yes all today are VS. 

My drill presses are 16" Delta  floor model and I never change speeds with fostner bits for the small inserts up to the 2-3/4" and any drilling with bits. I change speeds when using larger fostner bits such as 4"  No need to in my opinion. Look at the recommended speeds on them. I would have to look what it is set on but can tell you it is somewhere in the middle speed range. I also have a Delta 12" table top drill press and really like this one for small work and extremely accurate drilling. It has a zero clearance chuck on it as the 16" does not. That is a factor if using very tiny drill bits. Same thing when buying a hand drill.  

Not to go into details with the Craftsman that someone mentioned but you really need to check the quill on them and make sure the chuck is sitting in properly. The chuck itself could have runout in it so an easy fix. 

Having 2 drill presses comes in handy many times if you have a couple different operations going at the same time. Both drill presses have depth setting capabilities which is a must. Ease of table raising is also key along with the ability to tilt table at times. Love to own a radial drill press but no room for it.  

3 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Ray

I did something like this when I was making many many folding baskets / trivits for craft shows. This was for the screws in the side so the basket can pivot when unfolded Mounted drill motor sideways on a board and at the proper height being I always used 3/4" oak which made this easy. I still have that jig floating around the shop somewhere. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

Also have the 16"Delta belt driven floor model and once I set up the speed to cut the cups for Euro door hinges so many years ago, haven't changed it since. Of course I've used it for my clock inserts when I use to do clocks, but now it principally holds my sanding mops for intarsia work. Takes up floor space and weighs a ton, but couldn't live without it. But like you Kevin, still searching for an area to have a smaller set up such as John has mentioned with all the attributes that he mentioned.

I have the HF drill press, have had it a number of years, no problems with it at all.  It does have a depth stop setting you can use or remove as you wish.  It also has the belt/stacked pulley arrangement for speeds, but if you are going to dedicate it to one drill bit, that should not really be an issue.

It will hold in the chuck a 1/64th bit, smallest I have tried, might hold smaller ones I don't know.

I am also considering whether to get another HF or a dremel plunge router attachment and use it for drilling holes - but then I would be changing out the dremel itself - unless I buy another dremel - sigh - decisions decisions