Hello From Central Ohio

WigWag Workshop

Good Day Folks!

Name here is Steven. I am new to the hobby of scroll sawing, I was browsing around you-tube for model railroad stuff, and stumbled upon a video "introduction to scroll sawing" by Steve Good, and it peeked my interest. My brother back home in Wisconsin, has a really nice woodworking shop, however, while I was living there, I was not that interested. I have not purchased a scroll saw yet, but will be buying one in September. Until than, I will be learning has much has I can, by reading the various forums, watching videos, and reading books. I would like to saw thanks in advance, to all the folks that take time to post, and answer our "newbie" questions. In return, has I learn this hobby, I will do the same.

My other hobbies include, model railroading (currently just building rail themed dioramas), building other model kits, and going trackside to watch and take pictures of real trains, I have a General Class Amateur Radio License. I also spend a fair amount of time on my Shortwave Radio, searching out the distant signals, including WX fax, number stations, clandestine stations and decoding assorted digital signals. I also have several scanners, which I use to monitor local law, fire, and other assorted signals including rail, air, and businesses.

Steven

Welcome to the world of Scrolling, im sure you will enjoy it once you buy your saw. Most of that enjoyment will come from having a good saw, so make sure you can get the best in the price range you can afford. There are a lot of helpful people in the village and no question is ever too silly, so ask away if you have any questions on what saw to get or anything related to scroll sawing.

Brett

Warm greetings Steven,glad you came to our friendly club.I lived next to the railroad viaduc in milw. for 12 years,.I to love short wave radio.took cw test and they sent so slow i had no idea when they started and stopped the next letter at 5 w.p.m. i learned at 20 w.p.m.so i flunked,go figure.love my kenwood ts430 and icom r7000.try not to start out with a scroll saw where you tighten the tenstion for the blade in the rear of the saw.reaching back there offen gets to be annoying.Get a foot switch to turn the machine on and off is a plus.Real good lighting is an extra plus.Make sure your on steve goods mailing list as he sends free patterns to you everyday,good ones too.A dremil 1830 is a nice starter scroll saw it's an 18''er.your right about the forum it is packed with valuable info .Everyday i learn something from it.Don't forget to post your work in the gallery when you start scrolling for us to eyeball.Again welcome and take your shoes off you found a good home here! :)

Good Morning Folks!

Thanks for the warm welcome! Reading through some of the posts here, I can see that this is a friendly place. :D

DAVID - I am looking for an entry level model at this time, due to budget - I have my eye on the Porter-Cable 16" from Lowes - That model seems to have the best reviews, I have seen in that price range.

AmazingKevin - The Icom r7000 is a nice rig, I have a R75 for shortwave and a IC-718 Transceiver has my main rigs. I did join Steve's mailing list, and check his site daily, however his forums are blocked here at work :sad: In looking at reviews for my first entry level scroll saw, I saw the Dremel 1830, however, I can't seem to find it in stock.

Thanks Again,

Steven

Hey Steven ,I've had a lot of problems getting my hand to fit in to change the bottom blade,the hitachi cw40 is one,harbor freight another,sears,skill.when scrolling changing blades fast and threading them through work need to be easy to do as you spend alot of quick seconds doing so very offen depending on what your cutting.On keychains ,like on steve goods free download program which you need to get i do a letter every 20 seconds as an example.Make sure your blade sings like the skinny string of a guitar when plucked .thats the correct tenstion for the blades.they don't break as offern when that tight.Love your inquizitive post ,makes me think again too.You'all come back now,lol! :) P.S.It's amazing what you'll find on craigs list ,just make sure you enter scroll saw as two words in the search box ,one word comes up with nothing.Great deals there.

Hi Steven. My wife is a fellow buckeye..She's from the Toledo area :)

Have you checked the Delta scrollsaws? They are really good and in the lower price range. I like the saws with a thumb screw to tighten on the blade versus having to use some kind of allen wrench.

Welcome and I hope you enjoy your time here :)

In looking at reviews for my first entry level scroll saw, I saw the Dremel 1830, however, I can't seem to find it in stock.

Steve I use the dremel 1800 scroll station(with sander on the side) and love it. They don't make this model anymore. I did see a month or so ago that Menards had the 1830 for around $180.It was on sale at the time.