1" Belt Sander VS Oscillating Spindle Sander

RangerJay

My 1" belt sander is on its last legs.  It doesn't owe me any money.  It has been one of my "go to" sanders for a lot of my work for many years.

But ....

Have always wanted an oscillating spindle sander.  Have never actually used one - but think it can do the same work and more.

So.

Am thinking of replacing the 1" belt sander with the oscillating spindle sander - I do not have room in my shop for both.

Is this a reasonable swap?

The one thing (I think) the spindle sander will NOT do is sharpen metal blades - lawn mower blades, kitchen knives, carving knives, chisels - all of which I do and do well with the 1" belt machine.  Far as I know this is the only real downside.

What I like about the spindle sander is that it will sand tight curves where the belt leaves me looking for other equipment (dremel, drill press) - despite what I said about metal sharpening I do a lot more wood sanding than metal.

Advice???

Thanks,

Jay

Probably depends on the type of work you would be sanding.. I picked up a spindle sander a few years back.. It's great for sanding contours etc.. but you cannot sand any flat work on it like you could with the belt sander.. I have the belt sander as well.. I rarely use the spindle sander.. but I also don't do much sanding other than to sand flat surfaces.. Maybe if I was doing intarsia type work then the spindle sander would do most of the work.. both sanders are nice to have.. you just have to weigh out your decision based on the type of sanding you do most..

I have and use both. I would not substitute one for the other. I do use the 1" belt sander more often, but I would not be without either. I also have a 4x48 stationary belt sander with a 9" disk sander and two random orbital sanders, various sanding blocks and mini sanding tools. I do have a handheld belt sander that never gets used.

42 minutes ago, rustynail said:

What about one of these? You could do both...The best of both worlds and from what I have read they get good reviews..

Oscillating Edge Belt / Spindle SanderOscillating Edge Belt / Spindle Sander

I have one of these. It is not the answer to all things. Don't get me wrong I use it daily and love it. But as for doing certain tasks, it is not the best answer. A 1" belt has it's own place I just don't have the room for all the machines I want..

I have a 6x48 disc belt sander, the rigid sander, and a1" belt sander. I accumulated them over a period of years. I use the ridgid and 6x48 sanders all the time, the 1" sander I rarely use. I have stand alone spindle sander that I replaced with ridgid today. It will go to my son for him to use.

4 hours ago, rustynail said:

What about one of these? You could do both...The best of both worlds and from what I have read they get good reviews..

Oscillating Edge Belt / Spindle SanderOscillating Edge Belt / Spindle Sander

This is what I have. I also have a 1" belt sander and a 4 x 36" belt disc sander. I wouldn't give up any one of them. They all serve different purposes.

Ray

5 hours ago, RangerJay said:

That Ridgid Belt/Oscillating Spindle Sander looks really interesting - pretty neat - I'd never seen anything like that before - started reading reviews and will  take a look at You Tube videos today while I'm in the shop.

It's a great machine. Does so many things.

10 hours ago, RangerJay said:

That Ridgid Belt/Oscillating Spindle Sander looks really interesting - pretty neat - I'd never seen anything like that before - started reading reviews and will  take a look at You Tube videos today while I'm in the shop.

It is a great machine. Just not a one size fits all. Love mine and use the heck out of it but still lacks a few features I would love to see.

Well - bit the bullet and ordered a Ridgid Belt/Oscillating Spindle Sander from Home Depot - should be here in a few days.  Had to do a bit of rejigging in the shop - this unit won't fit where I have the 1" belt sander - so that also means I still have an option to replace the 1" belt sander if I have to .....

I really appreciate all the thoughts and advice from everyone on this - would never have even been aware of the Ridgid sander if it weren't for this forum and the participation of "those who know".

Thanks,

Jay

I love my Rigid as warrantied for life.  When I moved the movers messed it up and Rigid still stood behind it and sent me a new one even thought it was the nut was jammed on.

Since you are a fellow Canuck, you should watch the Swap meet on https://www.canadianwoodworking.com/

On the forum. there was a 1 inch belt sander not long ago that went real cheap.  They also run a "rucker" request to get things delivered too.

You never know what comes up.

I have a small shop (120 sq ft) and don't have room for many tools Ihave a 10 in drill press ,4" belt sander and a 1" belt sander with the backing platae removed the i" belt sander works well on curved areas, I cvant see putaing out more moneys for other permant sanders . the only other sander I use is a mouse I kave 3 each with a different grade sand paper. there isn't any thing that would take up much space on my work bench that would b much hellp ffor me.

IKE

2 hours ago, don in brooklin on said:

I love my Rigid as warrantied for life.  When I moved the movers messed it up and Rigid still stood behind it and sent me a new one even thought it was the nut was jammed on.

Since you are a fellow Canuck, you should watch the Swap meet on https://www.canadianwoodworking.com/

On the forum. there was a 1 inch belt sander not long ago that went real cheap.  They also run a "rucker" request to get things delivered too.

You never know what comes up.

I joined that forum quite a while back but have never really been an active participant - will dust off my password and have another look at it.

Thanks!

Jay  

1 hour ago, rustynail said:

For those of you that are using a 1"" belt sander what brand or makes are you using or recommend

If you you shop around and compare what is available, you will find that they are all the same machine with different Manufacture labels. There are two sizes available. 1x30" and 1x42". They both have discs sanders attached. Mine is a Reliant, which is no longer available, but I have had it fo almost 20 years! I always hook up my dust collector when using it so the berings stay clean. I removed the platen or backing plate, it makes for easier sanding. I always bring my 1" sander when I teach at Woodcraft. It's great for touching up those wavy edges on begginers project edges. 

One thing I don't like about mine and the new models is the tiny tables. You have to be very careful to keep the work piece flat against the small table. 

If I had to replace mine, I probably would buy a Ricon 1x30.