Impatiently Waiting

Dave Monk

On 3/7/2018 at 4:59 PM, Dave Monk said:

My wife and I are impatiently waiting for our little feathered friends to arrive.

This is a Steve good pattern that I made several changes on.

Hummer Inlay1.JPG

Hummer Inlay2.JPG

Very nice Dave. I'm humbled by your great work. I only wish I was as talented. Can you give me any idea where on Steve's blog to find the pattern and instructions for that box? I'd like to give it a try. Do you recall what table angle you used?

Ray

Edited by octoolguy

4 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Very nice Dave. I'm humbled by your great work. I only wish I was as talented. Can you give me any idea where on Steve's blog to find the pattern and instructions for that box? I'd like to give it a try. Do you recall what table angle you used?

Ray

Hi Ray if you go to steves site and search boxes,you will find that one on page 5

4 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Ray

Ray, Search Small Trinket Box. I made it .75 bigger. I did that in Inkscape. I ended up with it about 3/8" thick instead of 1/4". I used a Pegas #3 blade and my table was set about 2 degrees for the inlay. I also made some changes on the Hummingbird.The tabs that go through the top I also made changes to.  If you can't scale it up I am happy to send you the pattern.

7 minutes ago, Dave Monk said:

Ray, Search Small Trinket Box. I made it .75 bigger. I did that in Inkscape. I ended up with it about 3/8" thick instead of 1/4". I used a Pegas #3 blade and my table was set about 2 degrees for the inlay. I also made some changes on the Hummingbird.The tabs that go through the top I also made changes to.  If you can't scale it up I am happy to send you the pattern.

Thanks Dave. I did find the pattern on Steve's blog site. Now, I will try my hand at Inkscape and see what I can figure out. I truly do appreciate your kind offer though. I might have to take you up on it if I can't make Inkscape work. I'm not very learned yet. Too many things to learn and I'm running out of RAM memory.

Ray

7 hours ago, heppnerguy said:

You spruced that  box up so it has become from a nice box to a great box.. Maybe you should move to Southern Arizona.. we have the hummingbirds year around here.

Dick

heppnerguy

Dick, I don't know if we would like Southern Arizona but we would sure enjoy the hummingbirds.

I have had several request for the enlarge pattern that I used so I thought I would post it here for anyone to use.

I would recommend leaving the tongues long............also the ends of the sides with the inlay.  After you put it together you can sand it all flush. The tabs that go through the top I left long and square........cut and shaped them after I put it through the top. I hope you have a planer.....I planed my wood to match the thickness or the mortice. Should be about 3/8". Take your time it was a challenge for me. dave

Humnmer1.pdf

Humnmer2.pdf

3 hours ago, Dave Monk said:

Dick, I don't know if we would like Southern Arizona but we would sure enjoy the hummingbirds.

I guess you will just have to come here some time and find out for yourselves.. I can understand why you might have a difficult time liking Southern Arizona where you can sit outside in the mornings wearing your shorts and drinking your coffee while feeding the fish from your patio. At least that is what we do. :lol::lol:   The summers are pretty hot and we do get a few days where you might take a light jacket out of your closet for awhile. Most trees do not loose their leaves in the winter and in January you see convertibles with their tops down and no windows rolled up to protect you from the chill. Here the cactus grow as high as trees and the palm trees decorate the yards.   The climate is dry with no noticeable humidity. Yes I can see why  you might not like Southern Arizona.  there is a constant festival of some kind going on all through the winter months and a lot of interesting and wonderful places to visit. If you do not like fun, music, great restaurants, having to choose which fun thing you might like to go to today, being able to watch the major league teams doing their spring practice games, balloon rides and air craft fly-ins, you definitely would not like Southern Arizona. 

Dick

heppnerguy

22 minutes ago, heppnerguy said:

I guess you will just have to come here some time and find out for yourselves.. I can understand why you might have a difficult time liking Southern Arizona where you can sit outside in the mornings wearing your shorts and drinking your coffee while feeding the fish from your patio. At least that is what we do. :lol::lol:   The summers are pretty hot and we do get a few days where you might take a light jacket out of your closet for awhile. Most trees do not loose their leaves in the winter and in January you see convertibles with their tops down and no windows rolled up to protect you from the chill. Here the cactus grow as high as trees and the palm trees decorate the yards.   The climate is dry with no noticeable humidity. Yes I can see why  you might not like Southern Arizona.  there is a constant festival of some kind going on all through the winter months and a lot of interesting and wonderful places to visit. If you do not like fun, music, great restaurants, having to choose which fun thing you might like to go to today, being able to watch the major league teams doing their spring practice games, balloon rides and air craft fly-ins, you definitely would not like Southern Arizona. 

Dick

heppnerguy

I wouldn't mind visiting....sounds appealing but couldn't move away from our grandkids......that is why we live where we do.