"Saw Bird Blades" Review

3Dface

i got my "Saw Bird Blades" yesterday and had a 1" challenge for them ready to cut.
2 layers 1/4" luan, 1  layer 1/4" bead board, a 1 layer 1/4 mystery plywood. (
would love to know what it is. Please!)
the pattern i used was over 22" long and 12" high with lots of tight turns.
it took only 1 #3 spiral rev blade to cut and had only a little stretch that required 
about an 1/8 degree turn of the tension on my hawk.

with this being my first project with saw bird blades i am very pleased with it's 
performance and recommend them for all that use spiral blades.
 (i don't use flat blades)

for me in the U.S. the Canadian exchange rate puts the price of a Gross is $26.79

we'll see if using them turns my like of them into love.

5ababd048624d_kysmall.jpg.338a0658934272958b507872a1515629.jpg

Saw Bird Scroll Saw Blades

http://www.sawbird.com/scroll_saw_blades.htm#saw_blade_prices

( i am not being paid to review this)

I have been using Garnett's Sawbird blades for years and have extremely good luck with them.  They are the only blade that I cut with, mostly using the flat blades.  Have used a few spirals, but only when I have too, am not a fan.  I am glad that someone else is as happy with them as I have been.

Jeff

They don’t happen to be rebranded FD blades do they? I asked because many of the names and styles remind me of the FD brand. I see that a lot with the Olsen brand blades. 

Years ago when I first started I purchased several different brands and styles of blades. Was upset when over half of them was just Olsen blades lol

16 hours ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

I've been usin' Olson & FD for years, & been happy with them. I tried a couple dozen of the Pegasas breed blades & I weren't to impressed. But that's been a few years back. Just glancin' at the sawbird website, looks like they might be worth lookin' into. Thanks for the info.

you are welcome...

i still have LOTS of FD blades so will use both for a while.

10 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

They don’t happen to be rebranded FD blades do they? I asked because many of the names and styles remind me of the FD brand. I see that a lot with the Olsen brand blades. 

Years ago when I first started I purchased several different brands and styles of blades. Was upset when over half of them was just Olsen blades lol

hard question for me to answer. i can tell you the label says "made in Germany".

Ya know Kevin, I ran into that some when I was gettin' started 25+ years ago, too, but, like most everything else in my world, I started readin' & doin' some research, & went to orderin' from mike's, & when mike passed, I went to orderin' from wooden teddy bear. I ain't had no problems with them. 

In lookin' at sawbirds' website, the blade sizes they have to offer are most the common use blades. I don't know. I may just stay with wooden teddy bear.

Edited by SCROLLSAW703

On 3/30/2018 at 12:08 AM, SCROLLSAW703 said:

Ya know Kevin, I ran into that some when I was gettin' started 25+ years ago, too, but, like most everything else in my world, I started readin' & doin' some research, & went to orderin' from mike's, & when mike passed, I went to orderin' from wooden teddy bear. I ain't had no problems with them. 

In lookin' at sawbirds' website, the blade sizes they have to offer are most the common use blades. I don't know. I may just stay with wooden teddy bear.

Yeah, I have my go too blades and the source for them.. Always liked dealing with Mike.. we sure lost a good friend when he past.. even though I've never met him.. he was always very helpful and quick to reply to an email etc.. I still use some of the FD blades and probably always will.. but I don't use them exclusively as I once did since I found the Pegas blades.. 

I actually use a few blades from Olsen too... for me.. FD, Olsen, and Pegas all have good blades.. and I use blades from ll of them.. just depends upon what I'm cuttin... and what saw I'm using..