Workshop Challenge - Scroll Saw Challenge

Travis

Nice layout, Munzieb!!!  I have two of those 4' LED light fixtures, one with warm and one with cold LED bulbs.  I think for a workspace environment, I like the colder light better.  Seems to give sharper contrasts.  Either way, the instant-on of the LED makes the price well worth it over the conventional florescent bulbs.

Boy some really nice shops here. Some nice machinery too. I need to sort through some very hardly used tools and have a tool garage sale one of these days. My furniture days are over and if there is anything to be made smaller tools can do the trick. Really need to organize my basement shop. No photos from this shop.:)

11 hours ago, Woodmaster1 said:

Got to love HOA's not. I am glad l don't have one telling me what I can do. My only restriction from the city was my detached garage could not go over 1000sqft. Mine is 990sqft only because I couldn't work in the other 10sqft. My roof has a 10/12 pitch with a dormer there is a one bedroom apartment upstairs for guests.

My original shop plan was 24 x26 with a loft and plumbing and a/c. Some things are not to be. Reflecting on it, my wife and I realized we would see less of each other with me in the shop most of the time. The garage is just steps away. Saved a lot of money for other things.

10 hours ago, new2woodwrk said:

Nice shop @munzieb - yah way too clean LOL

I really like the bench your saw is on - very sturdy and very big!

Thanks for sharing

Jes, I bought the leg supports from HF, the rest is 2x4's and 2x8 sheets of plywood and of course caster wheels. I use it for layout of scroll saw patterns  and trim right on the top. If it gets too cut up or dirty I just get out the orbital sander for a fresh surface. If I need a perfect flat surface, I have 2 each 1/4" tempered glass plates for lapping surfaces (double sided tape with sand paper on top) or glue ups.

I guess I'll be the next one to show my mess. I have about 700 sq/ft of our basement for a shop. Should have taken some pictures in January when it was a bit more organized. I find myself being only as organized as I have to be. I usually have several project going at the same time.

Phil

Shop 3.pdf

Shop5.pdf

Shop 2.pdf

Shop4.pdf

Shop 1.pdf

5 hours ago, hineps said:

I guess I'll be the next one to show my mess. I have about 700 sq/ft of our basement for a shop. Should have taken some pictures in January when it was a bit more organized. I find myself being only as organized as I have to be. I usually have several project going at the same time.

Phil

Thanks for sharing Phil - you make your own Dulcimers?

Very cool!

The main portion of my shop is 12 x 14 on the lower level of a bi-level home. The space is supposed to be a bedroom. I have forced air HVAC and blocked the vents. The ceiling is really low, especially where the HVAC runs are - but I'm really short so not much of an issue. Many of the pics here are a few years old, none the less everything is essentially the same. I supposed some equipment may have been purchased or moved? I have one window but it's full of stuff like my 20" box fan dust collector. The door is in the SW corner.

I'm a Shopsmith user. It's my main power tool and you'll see it in my pics. It's my table saw, belt and disk sander, lath, band saw, jointer and drill press.

I'm not smart enough to figure out how to put comments with specific pics so.... I'll point out a couple of things here, sorry.

In pic one is a bench I made.

In the 5th pic is my router table and in the 4th you can see how I store it so I can keep the floor space open. Notice that the tables are actually different. In one is a Rockler and in the other a Kreg, a more recent pic.

In pic 6 is the Shopsmith set up in drill press mode. I drill 37mm holes for cabinet doors.

In pic 8 & 9 is a drying rack I made. It's great if you have lots of parts drying. I've mentioned before in a couple of threads I prefer to apply finish before assembly. In the next pic you can see how I store it in the garage.

Pic 10 is the flip top work station planer and chop saw. It looks a lot different today because I've take sets to collect more dust from the saw. I posted a thread about it some time ago.

Pic 12 is the Shopsmith in band saw configuration. I was cutting a large piece.

The last pic is the Shopsmith in table saw mode with a hand made cantilevered out-feed table.

The new portion of the shop I'll post tomorrow.  As it turns out it took a lot longer to post these other pics.

Sbench_0278.JPG

ShopSE_0654.JPG

ShopE_0655.JPG

ShopNW_0579.JPG

RouterTable_1780.JPG

ShopNE_0651.JPG

ShopW_0659.JPG

drying rack.JPG

DryingRack_1743.JPG

Flip3.jpg

Bench 293.JPG

bandsaw130.JPG

CeilingStorage_1740.JPG

Nwalldetail_1742.JPG

SmBench_1736.JPG

SS table saw 257.JPG

Edited by oldhudson

24 minutes ago, oldhudson said:

The main portion of my shop is 12 x 14 on the lower level of a bi-level home. The space is supposed to be a bedroom. 

Nice shop.  My basement shop was a bedroom.
I love it. 

Nice ShopSmith.  What year?
Looks like you're running a band  saw, a jointer and 6" belt sander on it.
What is the extra piece you're running on the drill press?
Did you make your fliptop cabinet for the mitre box?

Never cared for the ShopSmith table saw, because we had the Craftsman.
Summer after I graduated high school, I spent building dulcimers.
I had a "jig", if you could call it that for cutting head and tail blocks.
It ran on the table outside the blade so I could make a 6" cut.  It was pretty
scary to do.....but I made it work. 

What is this?
5acfd2de841b9_dryingrack.JPG.0ede344531a11375a7e910515cb0f158.thumb.jpg.98d08ba6723e9e10e297a240a49445a1.jpg

Wow - that's quite a shop - first time I've ever seen a Shopsmith - something you'd recommend? - and I was really envious when I thought I saw a bar fridge - then - on closer look - I saw it was a white storage cabinet - felt better after that ......

Impressive shop.

Jay

36 minutes ago, justdraftn said:

I love it. 

Nice ShopSmith.  What year?
Looks like you're running a band  saw, a jointer and 6" belt sander on it.
What is the extra piece you're running on the drill press?
Did you make your fliptop cabinet for the mitre box?

What is this?
5acfd2de841b9_dryingrack.JPG.0ede344531a11375a7e910515cb0f158.thumb.jpg.98d08ba6723e9e10e297a240a49445a1.jpg

I believe that is a drying rack which I love

I have one as well in my shed but this one is much nicer than mine.

31 minutes ago, RangerJay said:

Wow - that's quite a shop - first time I've ever seen a Shopsmith - something you'd recommend? - and I was really envious when I thought I saw a bar fridge - then - on closer look - I saw it was a white storage cabinet - felt better after that ......

Impressive shop.

Jay

Yah same here

I've heard of the shopsmiths but first time I've ever seen one with a bunch of the add ons

Very cool - do they still make those?

2 hours ago, oldhudson said:

The main portion of my shop is 12 x 14 on the lower level of a bi-level home. The space is supposed to be a bedroom. I have forced air HVAC and blocked the vents. The ceiling is really low, especially where the HVAC runs are - but I'm really short so not much of an issue. Many of the pics here are a few years old, none the less everything is essentially the same. I supposed some equipment may have been purchased or moved? I have one window but it's full of stuff like my 20" box fan dust collector. The door is in the SW corner.

I'm a Shopsmith user. It's my main power tool and you'll see it in my pics. It's my table saw, belt and disk sander, lath, band saw, jointer and drill press.

I'm not smart enough to figure out how to put comments with specific pics so.... I'll point out a couple of things here, sorry.

In pic one is a bench I made.

In the 5th pic is my router table and in the 4th you can see how I store it so I can keep the floor space open. Notice that the tables are actually different. In one is a Rockler and in the other a Kreg, a more recent pic.

In pic 6 is the Shopsmith set up in drill press mode. I drill 37mm holes for cabinet doors.

In pic 8 & 9 is a drying rack I made. It's great if you have lots of parts drying. I've mentioned before in a couple of threads I prefer to apply finish before assembly. In the next pic you can see how I store it in the garage.

Pic 10 is the flip top work station planer and chop saw. It looks a lot different today because I've take sets to collect more dust from the saw. I posted a thread about it some time ago.

Pic 12 is the Shopsmith in band saw configuration. I was cutting a large piece.

The last pic is the Shopsmith in table saw mode with a hand made cantilevered out-feed table.

The new portion of the shop I'll post tomorrow.

Sbench_0278.JPG

ShopSE_0654.JPG

ShopE_0655.JPG

ShopNW_0579.JPG

RouterTable_1780.JPG

ShopNE_0651.JPG

ShopW_0659.JPG

drying rack.JPG

DryingRack_1743.JPG

Flip3.jpg

Bench 293.JPG

bandsaw130.JPG

CeilingStorage_1740.JPG

Nwalldetail_1742.JPG

SmBench_1736.JPG

SS table saw 257.JPG

Great shop. I love looking at all shops but the small ones hold my interest because my shop is only 8X14, 112 sq ft. You have really done a lot with a small space. A friend purchased a ShopSmith years ago and earned enough to buy his first home. Your rip fence is very interesting. Good job!

1 hour ago, justdraftn said:

I love it. 

Nice ShopSmith.  What year?   I got it new in March of '82 so we're celebrating 36  years together. Never had any issue with it. I've replaced the switch twice and belts twice over the years.
Looks like you're running a band  saw, a jointer and 6" belt sander on it.    That's correct.
What is the extra piece you're running on the drill press?     That's a speed reducer. The SS has variable speed from 800 - 6000 (or something like that) the speed reducer cuts the rpm's by about 1/2. With the large forstner bit the slow speed helps.
Did you make your fliptop cabinet for the mitre box?   The flip top workstation is for a Delta lunch box planer and a Milwaukee miter saw.

What is this?     That's a drying rack. I made it about 6 years ago when I re-modeled the kitchen. I used varnish on all the doors and face frames. It was lots of parts that needed serious drying time. But I've used it on other projects as well.  The white tubes are just PVC pipe. I can get it into the shop if I need it there.

1 hour ago, new2woodwrk said:

I believe that is a drying rack which I love     Correct. A drying rack, plans from some magazine or another.

I have one as well in my shed but this one is much nicer than mine.

Yah same here

I've heard of the shopsmiths but first time I've ever seen one with a bunch of the add ons

Very cool - do they still make those?    Yes they are. Not only are they still made, they're made in the US or mostly in the US. The new ones have added features like a reversible motor and greater speed range.

On 4/4/2018 at 3:18 PM, new2woodwrk said:

Ok then - here goes...

It's not pretty and one thing I would like is a real shop. It gets kind of cramped at times and I try to keep it clean by putting things away at the end of each session so I can start the next session with everything where it belongs.

Unfortunately, the wife is now in the shop and she just can't get the hang of putting things away at the end of each session. I built all the carts and work benches as well as all the jigs.

Hope this isn't too many pics, so here goes:

Outside looking in - what  a mess

To the left are my drip boxes and extra table set up - in the back is my 8' work bench

shop-inside-left.thumb.jpg.1b318c4b06b24cc177516851ecd1a35c.jpg

Cleat wall - Tools, tool box, stationary work bench

left-sdie-shop-in.thumb.jpg.e797b416b1242aef21ad079b2004e4a4.jpg

Used to be my layout table until I got into scrolling - now it's a scroll table LOL Delta saw in front and Wen behind it.

Against the wall is the wifes work bench I made for her

saw-station-main-bench.thumb.jpg.fb1e7e5c709ea261b166eebc75959d54.jpg

Big HF dust control in corner - hiding behind the scrap buckets - table saw on the left

hf-dust-control.thumb.jpg.c03f6a7e88c1528e0dbeb7f0ebd01726.jpg

Setup a centipede table now for layout and framing

layout-framing-stations.thumb.jpg.fa1e4a0a8c14b27bdcc3a21171f2f699.jpg

Chemical and stain cabinet - repurposed it from a bookcase made in the only woodworking class I've taken

chemical-cabinet.thumb.jpg.e00747a8028a7bdc388eb38aa1f0111c.jpg

Miter station - I hardly use it anymore

miter-stations.thumb.jpg.ec76f0d9e2450997a0cf0797b05ad19c.jpg

Clamp Wall - I make my own pipe clamps

clamp-wall.thumb.jpg.66e9571401fda1b8cdbbde182295c6bf.jpg

Look back - Skil 9" band saw, grinder, HF disc sander and new Wen drill press you can't see

shop-inside-left-2.thumb.jpg.40b3d554f54fc046042c70187d62e7bc.jpg

That's enough I think

Wish I had room to spread out

Can't wait to see everyone else...

You've got waaaay too much space. I envy you.

Ray

1 hour ago, new2woodwrk said:

I do?

It's a 2 car garage, I get one side and part of the back - I have to move the one car out of the garage whenever I want to saw or paint so it doesn't get ruined.

Well, we are down to one car now so I can move some of my stuff out onto the driveway and have much more space to work in but it is windy have a lot so I have to do most of what I do in the morning. 

Ray