Workshop Challenge - Scroll Saw Challenge

Travis

So far the shops look less cluttered than mine. Hoping to post some pics tomorrow. I have to cleanup a little. I spent about an hour fixing the heater. It turned out to be a dirty heat sensor. A little sand paper and furnace was up and running. The house furnace had the same problem but not ever working on it called the repair guy cost me $122.00 next time it will be free. 

17 minutes ago, jbrowning said:

Hi Les, can you tell us what you think of your two bandsaws? What do you and don't you like about them? I have been looking for like a 10" bandsaw but can't decide on what to get.

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim, The small band saw is a 9" Horrible Fright saw. For the cheap price it serves me well It is the one I use all the time. Size is the limiter. I have made a small sled and use it for cutting pen blanks as well cutting out wood for smaller scrolling projects. If I were to buy it again I would want the steel bed. Mine is aluminum and the demo at HF is steel. The Craftsman is an old 12". Fortunately it is in perfect shape and one of the finer things Craftsman made. I bought it on CL for $100, a real bargain. If I were to have only one and did not mind the size limitation of 10" I would look at the 10" Rikon. I do not have one but it has an excellent reputation. I would certainly consider it over most all the other cheap brands like Ryobi, Wen, and others. I have no problem with others it is just that Rikon has excellent customer service and makes a quality product. My HF has done well so far but I would perhaps not buy another.

47 minutes ago, Woodmaster1 said:

MrsN nice shop for the students. Be glad you have groups around 10. I know my first year teaching woodshop I had groups of 35. I was constantly on the move. I have a special needs son and he enjoyed working in the shop.

Last year I was in a different school and had classes of 28-34 so I know how lucky I am to have 10. I love it!

23 minutes ago, Woodmaster1 said:

Trackman looks like you have room for more things. Chuck your setting a bad precedent your shop is too clean.

Honestly, I'm still just having fun playing with the dust collection. The light hum through the floors scares the heck outta my wife's cats, so I am never stingy about using it.

What a fun thread! I'm loving it! Keep em comin!

@MrsN  The shop class reminds me very much of the one I was in when I was in Jr High.  So much fun!

@trackman  I used to have that train plaque in my bedroom growing up.  Had it for many many years!  Boy, that brought back memories.  :)

image.png

We built the garage 30 years ago ...... no car has ever seen the inside  ...... we now call it "The Shed" - upstairs attic is typical seasonal storage and lifetime junk, main floor is roughly 1/3 sauna and 2/3 workshop (grudgingly shared with the lawn tractor and its attachments) ......

The winter shot was taken a couple years ago.

20180407_110547.jpg

20180407_110737.jpg

20180407_110750.jpg

20180407_110818.jpg

20180407_110901.jpg

20180407_111144.jpg

IMG_8244.JPG