Face Mask

Chunkthekid

Just a quick post about face masks. I never used a mask nearly as much as I should, mostly because I couldn't find one that didn't fog up my glasses. To me, using a power tool and not being able to see exactly what you are doing is not very safe practice. I didn't want a huge respirator because I could see myself just not wearing it due to the size.

I happened to see a guy wearing one of these RZ Industries masks and thought, "wow, that looks goofy". But I researched them and they seemed pretty legit. Well, they are. I am very glad I bought this thing. It is much more comfortable that a normal rubber band mask and I get ZERO fog up to my glasses. It comes with a nice little carrying case so it stays clean when not in use and also an extra set of filters. It also comes in 3 sizes so you can find the perfect fit, I've got a big head and this fits perfectly. You can find on amazon or RZmask.com

Just wanted to share in case anyone else was looking for an upgraded mask without feeling like you're wearing a gas mask.

Attached a pic of what I'm working on, just because. Have a good day folks.

20180415_165314.jpg

20180415_165327.jpg

20180415_165345.jpg

20180415_165442.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Masks are definitely an important accessories I am afraid, but like you, I tend to forget to put mine on.  Sometimes I think its just going to be a minute or two at the sander, then it turns into much longer.  Or I set down at the saw and just don't think about it. Then my husband comes in and sees me and reminds me. ;) I have another one I like - using it is my biggest thing.  :oops:  This is the one I got after seeing several good recommendations.  I do wear it with safety goggles and don't have fogging either.https://www.amazon.com/GVS-SPR451-Elipse-Respirator-Medium/dp/B013SIIBME/ref=sr_1_69?ie=UTF8&qid=1523915467&sr=8-69&keywords=dust+mask

3 minutes ago, meflick said:

Thanks for sharing. Masks are definitely an important accessories I am afraid, but like you, I tend to forget to put mine on.  Sometimes I think its just going to be a minute or two at the sander, then it turns into much longer.  Or I set down at the saw and just don't think about it. Then my husband comes in and sees me and reminds me. ;) I have another one I like - using it is my biggest thing.  :oops:  This is the one I got after seeing several good recommendations.  I do wear it with safety goggles and don't have fogging either.https://www.amazon.com/GVS-SPR451-Elipse-Respirator-Medium/dp/B013SIIBME/ref=sr_1_69?ie=UTF8&qid=1523915467&sr=8-69&keywords=dust+mask

That's the one I use.. 

One thing many over look in a mask is filter surface area.. Before the Elipse mask I was using a Totobobo after seeing Steve Good do a review of it.. I loved that mask.. but the filters surface is about the size of a half dollar coin.. ( slightly larger than a Quarter ) .. and I would need to replace the filter very single day.. 

The Elipse mask doesn't fog up my glasses ( unless I don't have it on tight enough ) but the exhale port / valve is right in the front of the mask... I tend to get close to my magnifier light lens.. and when I do that the fogged up mag lens reminds me to back away some..:lol: I love this mask though.. and I don't need to replace the filters but only every few months... which reminds me.. I need to order some of those..  

I'm thinking once I get my dust collection fab'ed up.. I won't need to change filters but every 6 months or more, LOL.. 

Masks are Important and we all use them.  Since I set up the PVC Vaccume set up I just do not notice that

bothersome fine dust floating.  Believe me I have Examined different cuts on different woods and my set up

SUCKS every last bit.  Immediately....  All areas around my Hegner do not show signs of the dust build up.

Just my 13 cents Friends.............Danny  :+}

I have been wearing the medical masks that hook around your ears. Their comfortable enough. When I am in need of a better mask I have several 3M Respirators that I wear. These you can spray lacquer or anything else with and never smell a thing. I'm looking into some a little different for saw dust so we'll see what comes out of that. 

Good you found a low profile dust mask that doesn't fog up glasses and is comfortable. In turn it'll become automatic to putting on when cutting. I use the Elipse low - profile dust respirator which is similar. It has a rating of NIOSH P100, capturing 99.97% of airborne particles 0.3 microns and larger and comes in two sizes. 

I plan to set up a permanent dust collection solution for my saw, I just don't know where the saw is going to end up yet. Until I fill my shop up with a few of the big ticket items I want (table saw, band saw, etc.) I don't think anything I have is in its "spot". The shop set up will change a few more times before I am happy with it. 

For doing scrolling and most woodworking in the shop I use a dust mask like this and never does it fog my safety glasses. I find this is all I need and I always wear one when cutting in the shop. But I also have my air cleaner running while in the shop. If use fumes I switch to a charcoal filter mask http://www.emedco.com/3m-8210v-n95-particulate-respirator-8210v-6279c.html?utm_campaign={*campaignid*}&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content={*creative*}&utm_term={*keyword*}&matchtype={*matchtype*}&device={*device*}&adgroupid={*adgroupid*}&msclkid=88598bc257c7100829cbd117a2fb3817&gclid=COjKg-qzwdoCFYzMswod40AFGQ&gclsrc=ds

I used to use those mask like JT uses.. N95's ... But found they do not seal around your ( My face ) face good every time you put it on it changes.. I was finding I was getting dust inside the mask sometimes.. for a long time I thought it was just from my dusty hands putting it on taking it off etc... but nope.. always felt like it had a sealed fit.. it it didn't... that is when I switched to the Totobobo.. and while I loved that mask.. changing filters every day was getting pricey ( very small filter area ).. then a year ago I bought the Elipse mask.. been very comfy fitting and seems to work well for my needs.. 

I plan to hook up a dust collection much like some others have done.. and intend to buy a high end quiet vac to hook it to. Not sure which high end vac to get yet.. but been researching it.. I will still wear my mask.. in part... because it's a habit to put it on.. wife and kids pick on me because I go out to the garage to work on the car or anything.. just going to the garage smetimes to get something.. I put it on every time I go to the garage, LOL        

I have been using these masks for so many years now and used them on the job site in construction as well so I guess I am used to to them and they work fine for me. I change masks regularly because if you take your mask off and lay it on a workbench for further use the dust that is in the air just gets inside unless you store in a container and what a pain that is. I always make sure to face the mask down when taking it off for the night and placing down on the bench. I always have a mask hanging around my neck for quick use when needed. Just something I grew use to and any mask is better than none. I sand my projects mostly outdoors but I still wear that mask when sanding.

Kevin, Festool if you want top of the line vac. Quiet and efficient but pricey and you will pay for quiet that is for sure. Never was one for a vac system on a scrollsaw. sanders is where I would put a vac system but other tools other than a scrollsaw I use a shop dust collector system.