Drying/Curing Multiple Projects

Sambo19

I have been cutting between 1 and 3 puzzles at a time and haphazardly drying them above a painters tray on a plastic grid thing I recycled from somewhere.  I dip (usually a plastic bag), wait 30 minutes, dip again, wait about 15 minutes, then wipe clean and allow to finish curing, usually flipping once or twice to minimize marks and sticking.  I probably need to branch out beyond danish oil one day, but it worked and I am a creature of habit.

I am now seeing the value in dipping or finishing more puzzles at one time and am curious how everyone else dries multiple puzzles or projects for efficiency.  I have only had a few lines in the finish due to the rack which cleaned up okay, but I would love to do a better job, more efficient job, of handling more projects at once.  

Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Lady Dragon parts.jpg

Lady Dragon4.jpg

23 minutes ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

I do not do puzzles but my suggestion would be to stand the pieces on edge after wiped down. No flipping needed and take up less room and can stand on some scrap plywood designed for this. Just keep puzzle grouped together. 

Maybe a sort of rack I can slide several cut pieces of ply onto for drying shelves.  Like a small version of a bakers rack?  

I'll make sure to stand them a bit after the last coat from now on, letting the fret cuts drip first.

Just an FYI your gallery link is broken, on my end at least.

9 hours ago, Sambo19 said:

Maybe a sort of rack I can slide several cut pieces of ply onto for drying shelves.  Like a small version of a bakers rack?  

I'll make sure to stand them a bit after the last coat from now on, letting the fret cuts drip first.

Just an FYI your gallery link is broken, on my end at least.

That is because it was a gallery that was on the old system and when Travis upgraded he was not able to bring those galleries over with it. I never had the chance to start a new one here. Sorry about that. 

16 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Actually I think the whole process is on video but not sure what Scott's youtube page is.. also might be on Steve Goods site.. But I believe Scott ade a drying rack out of wood and put chicken wire on it so it could dry on both sides.. He just uses mineral oil for the puzzles.. 

I'm still new around here and don't know who scott is or how to find his web page.  

Could you post a link?

42 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Here is the youtube video.. At the very beginning you'll see the table and the wire top 

That was incredible to watch, very impressive operation thanks for sharing kmmcrafts, amd thanks to Scott for making a great video.

Edited by Sambo19
Remove video

5 hours ago, NC Scroller said:

The wire you see on Iggy's racks is called hardware cloth and is available at hardware stores or places like Lowes and Home Depot.  My racks are similar but are designed to be carried outside.  Weather permitting I find exposure to some sunlight and breezes speed up the drying process.

Thanks for the information!  The sun doesn't hurt your finish?  I have tons of wind and no shade, so taking them outside would be very helpful.  I'll do a test run.

So you ever clean the racks?  My small setup is already gunking up.

Scott, Iggy, may be out selling somewhere this weekend or he might just be enjoying some family time this holiday weekend.  We will tag him though @Iguanadon so he can come in when he returns to the village and give some more info./insight on his processes.  He has done several threads here in the Village that outline how he does his puzzles from setup, cutting, to finishing as well as one on his selling setup.  If I don't find them quickly to add the links to here, perhaps he can when he returns.

Oh, looks like he has been at the Farmer's Market this weekend - see this post in Bragging Rights 

http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/forums/topic/29538-farmers-market-week-1/?tab=comments#comment-330415

You can find his website, with all of the different puzzles he has that were created by Harvey Bylar for purchase here: 

https://woodcraftbyscott.com

and here is link to his original post on his "assembly line" setup on doing his puzzles. http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/forums/topic/20547-iggys-animal-puzzle-assembly-line/

You can search the village for more of his threads or wait for him to come along and give some more links. 😉☺️

Edited by meflick

1 hour ago, Sambo19 said:

Thanks for the information!  The sun doesn't hurt your finish?  I have tons of wind and no shade, so taking them outside would be very helpful.  I'll do a test run.

So you ever clean the racks?  My small setup is already gunking up.

I set them out for about one hour per side.  Since I wipe most of the excess first I do not get any real build up.