Hegner and Hawk

orangeman

I wanna say the manual for my hawk suggest every 25 hours use? I don't remember.. 25 hours of use is a long run time if your doing a lot of stop go.. ( fretwork )... Making puzzles like Iggy does the saw might run for 15+ minutes straight.. so I guess you just have to guesstimate LOL  

12 minutes ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

I use graphite on the wedge of my BM 26 per the Hawk manual & in speaking with Hawk techs. I also use dry graphite in the tension release at the front of the top arm. Otherwise, everything else is sealed bearings.

Are you sure they are sealed? 

I know you have a newer BM series..so it would be different than my old saws.. but mine doesn't have sealed bearings in it.. and neither did Randy's ( Hotshot ) BM series he bought.. had caged or shielded bearings.. My newer of the old saws had the same bearings as Randy's BM series.. 

I need to get that graphite stuff.. I've read a lot of good about it recently.. 

I use a product called TRI-FLO.   Got the idea from my wife.   That is what the dealer told her to use on her $8000.00 sewing machine.   I figured if that's what they recomend on the expensive sewing machines it must be pretty good stuff.   I oil the pivot bushings on my Hegner quite often.   It only takes a few drops and a few seconds to do.   I have always believed that a little oil or grease is a whole lot cheaper than replacing parts and that has served me well over the years. JMHO 

Edited by stoney

30 minutes ago, stoney said:

I use a product called TRI-FLO.   Got the idea from my wife.   That is what the dealer told her to use on her $8000.00 sewing machine.   I figured if that's what they recomend on the expensive sewing machines it must be pretty good stuff.   I oil the pivot bushing on my Hegner quite often.   It only takes a few drops and a few seconds to do.   I have always believed that a little oil or grease is a whole lot cheaper than replacing parts and that has served me well over the years. JMHO 

I think I have heard that stuff recommended for guns too. If I'm not wrong, it has graphite in it.

2 hours ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

yes, kevin, , i'm sure. Ain't that what they send a manual along with the saw for with a parts diagram, & points to lube? They are sealed bearings.

Not to be a smart *ss but I just looked up the PDF download manual for the BM series and compared it to my 226 Ultra manual and they both have the shielded bearings in the arms.. only sealed bearings are in the arm that connects the lower arm to the motor.. The bearing part number in my manual is 715-1208.

That all said though you very well could have sealed bearings in your saw.. and they never updated the manual or they never uploaded a revised version.. I do know that Hotshot mentioned in a post about his BM series having the shielded bearings.. then a month or so later I took my saw apart and had the same thing..   

Edit to add.. Looking at the maintenance section of the BM series saw it doesn't mention anything about oiling the bearings like my saw does.. yet in the same manual it shows the same bearings as my saw... which requires a few drops of oil every 20 hours use. That doesn't make any sense to me..  

Edited by kmmcrafts

me either, because they are sealed. I don't know if I could sleep with myself knowing I was right between our two saws, Mr. Kevin. I don't just leave them covered until they''re needed. My saws get regular maintenance & cleaning. 

As for your smart a** remarks, eh, I'm used to them. You are one who likes to be right. So be it. My equipment is what it is. I don't have to try to impress anybody with it, or my knowledge of it. My apologies for not doin' things your way.

5 hours ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

. You are one who likes to be right. So be it. My equipment is what it is. I don't have to try to impress anybody with it, or my knowledge of it. My apologies for not doin' things your way.

I don't care whether I'm right or wrong.. it's not about that to me.. I do like to be informed.. specifically on the Hawk saws because I have an interest in them.. and I figure in about 30-40 years I will probably be able to afford a old run down used one that will need rebuilt.. when looking at used saws.. I'll know that some have sealed bearings and some have shielded bearings.. For what it's worth, maybe this info with the newer saws is a cheaper lower quality saw with the shielded bearings.. My Hawk bearings was not in all that good of shape for no more use that I have on it..and Hotshot had to replace his bearings as well.. Yet my old school 1993 Hawk was well.. very well used. and I'm pretty certain it has the original bearings in it.. My Hats off to Hawk for switching to a sealed bearing rather than those junk shielded bearings.. Now.. if they can update the manual to reflect the change so when one does need to replace parts.. everyone should know what parts they need the first time they order..

well Sir, we've (Hawk) had that discussion more than once. Several of the things in the BM manual are the very same things that are in the 220VS manual. And yes, even though they are two different saws, the lube points point to the same places, and there were several JUNK bearings in place in that saw. 

I like to be informed as well. As long as I've been out of the shop this time Kevin, I've spent plenty of time reading. One thing that never changes is the Hawk saw & it's operational menu. 

The older Hawks, being belt driven, used pulleys to change speeds. Over time, electronics evolved & we now have the electronic variable speed. Bearings were open in places & needed lube. Further study & modernization of their saws, brought upon sealed bearings in places that bearings were prone to failure. Yes, they were sh*t bearings, but it was a start. As bearings failed, customers returned & wanted parts for failed equipment, better sealed bearings came to light. Better machining processes, change of design, etc. 

Like any other equipment, there is no perfect way. You keep listenin', ya keep tryin' to create the cadillac of saws for the satisfaction of the customer. The customer either loves the saw, or they don't. 

15 hours ago, Sycamore67 said:

This is amazingly sad.  How can people get so upset when discussing how, when, where to lube a scroll saw.  This is certainly not what I expect on this forum.  Maybe on some others I visit but not here.

How about a time out?

I was just thinking the same thing Larry. The written word is far easier to misconstrue that the spoken word. Not necessary.

opinions, ideas, & thoughts from one another is a big part of what makes up this forum. And we all have our own way of doing things. In every discussion, sooner or later, somebody's feathers are goin' to get ruffled a little, whether it be JT's, mine, Kevins, who ever. I admit I'm not always right, nor are my thoughts & ideas. But we've all got experience in the same thing, scrollin'. 

Now, whether it be lubin' different saws, makin' adjustments on the saws, learnin' different blades & their uses, no matter what the situation, at the end of the day, we're all still scrollers! Regardless of what anyone wants to think, I don't have any ill feelings towards Kevin, JT, or anyone else. I have great respect for them both, as I do everyone else here, & continue to learn from them. Everyone here has treated me with great respect & thoughtfulness.

1 hour ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

opinions, ideas, & thoughts from one another is a big part of what makes up this forum. And we all have our own way of doing things. In every discussion, sooner or later, somebody's feathers are goin' to get ruffled a little, whether it be JT's, mine, Kevins, who ever. I admit I'm not always right, nor are my thoughts & ideas. But we've all got experience in the same thing, scrollin'. 

Now, whether it be lubin' different saws, makin' adjustments on the saws, learnin' different blades & their uses, no matter what the situation, at the end of the day, we're all still scrollers! Regardless of what anyone wants to think, I don't have any ill feelings towards Kevin, JT, or anyone else. I have great respect for them both, as I do everyone else here, & continue to learn from them. Everyone here has treated me with great respect & thoughtfulness.

Well said Brad. Like I said up above, the written word is so much easier to misunderstand that the spoken word. I know if we were all just sitting around a pot bellied stove somewhere and chatting about life in general, we'd all get along just fine. I am so thankful that I found this place to hang out, I just can't tell ya how much it means to me. Thanks to all for accepting me into your midst.

Thank you, Mr. Ray, I appreciate it, my friend. This site is home to me, Ray. Everyone has been so supportive & helpful thru my health & personal issues, allowed me to post while I'm inactive in the shop, & I've made several new friends, too. Our learning never quits in this hobby, & even with the years of experience I have, there is still a lot I don't know, but want to learn.

Open mindedness is a crucial tool of learning anything.:) I can tell you from personal experience, Mr. Ray, in dealing with many closed minded folks over the years. Many of them right here in my home town. It never ends well:(

Keep askin' questions, keep learnin', most of all, keep makin' sawdust, Sir! God Bless!