Saving Used Blades

Rockytime

4 minutes ago, Puzzleguy said:

They can pile up very quickly - I tend to save the fine # 3 blades -sometimes with a very soft piece

of wood -the new blades cut too quickly and tear the grain - a worn blade cuts slower and believe it or not

typically cuts cleaner ( thou slower -which is probably why their cleaner )

Most sizes like 5-9 are shot when they reach the end of their lives -

they get put in a Large folgers can and go to the recycle center when its close to being full-so they dont hurt anybody .

Wow! It would be interesting to know how many blades will fit in a large Folgers can. I'll bet thousands or maybe more.

On 6/18/2018 at 4:37 PM, Puzzleguy said:

They can pile up very quickly - I tend to save the fine # 3 blades -sometimes with a very soft piece

of wood -the new blades cut too quickly and tear the grain - a worn blade cuts slower and believe it or not

typically cuts cleaner ( thou slower -which is probably why their cleaner )

Most sizes like 5-9 are shot when they reach the end of their lives -

they get put in a Large folgers can and go to the recycle center when its close to being full-so they dont hurt anybody .

I also put used blades in a large can.. Scrap metal prices are up right now in my area last I checked was about $175 a ton.. Not sure how many blades will equal a ton.. but I'm workin at it.. and figure by the time I get to that ton... those blades should be worth more than I paid for them 😂😀:)

On 6/19/2018 at 8:26 PM, kmmcrafts said:

I also put used blades in a large can.. Scrap metal prices are up right now in my area last I checked was about $175 a ton.. Not sure how many blades will equal a ton.. but I'm workin at it.. and figure by the time I get to that ton... those blades should be worth more than I paid for them 😂😀:)

My wife and I decided to try saving our plastic water bottles. We saved up a couple of bags of them and took them to the local super market parking lot where the recycler had their setup. First off, they told us that the caps had to be removed because they weren'' buy them. Second, after they weighed them they gave us a voucher for $1.67 good only at the market. We decided that life is too short to worry about saving bottles. Into the trash they go. The trash company can cull them out and recycle them.

I used to keep used blades separate from my new ones until I invested in my first Hawk. I kept enough blades in clamps, there weren't any need to keep used blades anymore. I do the same with my BM 26. Once I've worn out the blade in the clamp, it gets pitched in the trash & a new blade replaces it in the clamp ready for when it's needed. One of the many benefits of Hawk ownership.;)

On 6/17/2018 at 12:16 AM, wombatie said:

Don't laugh but I have drinking straws in the tubes with the good blades.  I make sure the straw is the right size and then I cover the bottom with making tape or painters tape, so that the blade will not fall out the bottom and if I need to keep it I pop in the straw until the next time I need that size blade.

Marg

Thanks Marg. Your system is terrific. I grabbed some extra straws the other evening when I ate at Wendy's. The straws work perfect!

Used Blade Storage.jpg

4 hours ago, Rockytime said:

Thanks Marg. Your system is terrific. I grabbed some extra straws the other evening when I ate at Wendy's. The straws work perfect!

Used Blade Storage.jpg

Get those straws quickly before they become outlawed. The whackos are trying desperately to take off the market.

On 6/28/2018 at 12:16 PM, Rockytime said:

Used Blade Storage.jpg

Thanks Les I'm glad it works for you, I always thought I was an oddball doing it this way, guess I'm not.  🤔  :)

Marg