Saving Used Blades

Rockytime

I use to just throw them out. But recently I started throwing them in a container because I also make pens I tried using the old blades for casting into a pen blank and came up with something like this. Hopefully I will at some time make some more and with different ideas but so many irons in the fire. 

Copy of IMGP0188.JPG

That's one nice thing about the Hawk scroll saws.. I must have about 10 blade clamps.. I engraved the most popular blade size on the clamp.. This way I can have several styles of used blades already loaded in the clamp. only use a #3 for a few minutes but my next project takes a #5.. no big deal.. take the loaded #3 out and set it on my tool tray.. insert the #5 blade.. next time I need that #3 it's loaded in the clamp in my side tray.. when it gets worn out.. replace it.. I never have to fool around with what to do with those partly used blades..

I have a magnet on the side of the upper arm of my DeWalt saw. If I'm temporarily switching to another blade for part of a project, the blade not in use is held by this magnet until I need it again. For very tight areas I sometimes switch to a spiral blade, clean out the tight area of the pattern, and then switch back to the first blade with the blade not currently in use being held by the magnet.  As a general rule I don't switch blades often, and I replace them frequently when they become dull. They are worth only about $0.20 - 0.30 each in gross quantities and I hate it when a dull blade begins burning the wood or it begins wandering off the pattern line.  I would rather trash a partly worn blade than put up with the problems that a dull blade causes. I always begin each cutting session with a new blade, since I usually fail to leave myself a note as to how much use the blade in the saw has seen. Blade costs are one of the smallest expenses. Why waste project quality and your time because you used a dull blade that burned the work or caused a wandering cut.  Not every new blade in a bundle is perfect either. If I begin cutting with a new blade and have any problem at all with it, I'll replace it before cutting any further too. Again, they are one of the smallest expenses in the project.

Charley

Edited by CharleyL

14 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

I use to just throw them out. But recently I started throwing them in a container because I also make pens I tried using the old blades for casting into a pen blank and came up with something like this. Hopefully I will at some time make some more and with different ideas but so many irons in the fire. 

Copy of IMGP0188.JPG

John, I should have guessed! Your pens, turnings and cuttings are always exquisite. That is a clever use for blades. Unfortunately I will never get around to casting. That seems to be an altogether hobby in itself.

14 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

That's one nice thing about the Hawk scroll saws.. I must have about 10 blade clamps.. I engraved the most popular blade size on the clamp.. This way I can have several styles of used blades already loaded in the clamp. only use a #3 for a few minutes but my next project takes a #5.. no big deal.. take the loaded #3 out and set it on my tool tray.. insert the #5 blade.. next time I need that #3 it's loaded in the clamp in my side tray.. when it gets worn out.. replace it.. I never have to fool around with what to do with those partly used blades..

At $20 apiece I'm gonna have to get busy and make a bunch. One cannot have enough clamps.

12 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

At $20 apiece I'm gonna have to get busy and make a bunch. One cannot have enough clamps.

Yeah, they are not cheap.. I am fortunate that the older Hawk with the barrel clamps came with about 5-6 of them and then I kept breaking blades and thought maybe it was something with the clamps so I bought two more, and found it wasn't nothing to do with the clamps. Then when I bought the newer Hawk.. I was pleasantly surprised when unboxing it that the person who originally ordered the saw had ordered 10 extra clamps.. not sure how many they came with from the factory back in 98... must have been about 5.. as I have 15 of them for that saw, LOL.. 

I put the old blades right back into the mix with the new ones. They will break on their own eventually so no big deal.

I knocked a bunch of blades over the other day which was a pisser. of course they dont just fall straight down, they have to go under every little thing. Still finding them laying around. No idea what size they are. i just sort of bend them a little and can pretty much tell.  

Once a blade is done I fold and break it in half - then save it to a cup sized container - after that it may find use most often as a delicate glue applicator for fretwork projects that need it - or- sometimes - much less often - as a manual "cleaner" where glue or finishing has interfered with the fretwork - or ..... (really) ..... (but not a lot) ..... (kind of embarassing) - I have found myself using them as a serious toothpick ..... (3/0 is the most effective ......)

Jay 

If I have a blade that still has life left in it I do as Kevin does, have a bunch of extra clamps and just leave in a clamp and place it in the package the blade came in. I use very limited amount different sized blades so no problem storing them. I always keep blades in package they came in. just nip corner off top and take out blades as need be.  

Don't laugh but I have drinking straws in the tubes with the good blades.  I make sure the straw is the right size and then I cover the bottom with making tape or painters tape, so that the blade will not fall out the bottom and if I need to keep it I pop in the straw until the next time I need that size blade.

Marg

16 hours ago, wombatie said:

Don't laugh but I have drinking straws in the tubes with the good blades.  I make sure the straw is the right size and then I cover the bottom with making tape or painters tape, so that the blade will not fall out the bottom and if I need to keep it I pop in the straw until the next time I need that size blade.

Marg

Why would we laugh Marg, that sounds like a great idea!

Rob

I like the idea also. Since I use the test tube style tubes with caps I think I will try some red coffee stirrers. They can be cut to the length of the blades and will fit in the tube. If I have more than one used blade of the same type,one needs to be tossed. I like all this thinking out of the box.

They can pile up very quickly - I tend to save the fine # 3 blades -sometimes with a very soft piece

of wood -the new blades cut too quickly and tear the grain - a worn blade cuts slower and believe it or not

typically cuts cleaner ( thou slower -which is probably why their cleaner )

Most sizes like 5-9 are shot when they reach the end of their lives -

they get put in a Large folgers can and go to the recycle center when its close to being full-so they dont hurt anybody .