Inkscape question

OCtoolguy

35 minutes ago, don in brooklin on said:

I like it when people post questions as it is a great way to learn.

I took the image above copied into Inkscape and used trace bitmap.  I had to up the brightness threshold to .68 to get all the image.  Went to the node editor and deleted some nodes on the right.

Duplicate 7 times and aligned on page.

No idea what size you were looking but here is image with 8 occurrences.

g49.png

Thanks for all your help. I have determined that by laying the pattern on it's side, I can get two across and 4 down to get the 8 that I need. It sure would be great to find a class on Inkscape where you could ask questions in real time. I hate waiting. Thanks again for your help and I'm glad to provide a learning experience for all. My main problem is not so  much that I don't understand what I'm doing but when it doesn't work the way I expect it to, I don't know if it's me or my computer or what the heck. I think I have enough computer to do this project but when it just sits there and I don't know what it is doing behind the scenes, I get very frustrated. Now, I have something to work with. You guys are fantastic.

By the way, as a matter of information, the size I need these to be is.3 3/4" high by 2 1/4: wide. Folded on the line to make a compound cut. Should be fun.

Edited by octoolguy

2 hours ago, don in brooklin on said:

I like it when people post questions as it is a great way to learn.

I took the image above copied into Inkscape and used trace bitmap.  I had to up the brightness threshold to .68 to get all the image.  Went to the node editor and deleted some nodes on the right.

Duplicate 7 times and aligned on page.

No idea what size you were looking but here is image with 8 occurrences.

g49.png

I just love this site. I learn something almost every day. It is great to have discussions like this. Don, I had never messed with the brightness threshold........I wish I knew that long time ago.

2 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Thanks for all your help. I have determined that by laying the pattern on it's side, I can get two across and 4 down to get the 8 that I need. It sure would be great to find a class on Inkscape where you could ask questions in real time. I hate waiting. Thanks again for your help and I'm glad to provide a learning experience for all. My main problem is not so  much that I don't understand what I'm doing but when it doesn't work the way I expect it to, I don't know if it's me or my computer or what the heck. I think I have enough computer to do this project but when it just sits there and I don't know what it is doing behind the scenes, I get very frustrated. Now, I have something to work with. You guys are fantastic.

By the way, as a matter of information, the size I need these to be is.3 3/4" high by 2 1/4: wide. Folded on the line to make a compound cut. Should be fun.

Hi Ray:
Great response by the Villagers
Thanks for taking all the headaches for us on this one
3 3/4" X 2 1/4" compound cut???
Sounds interesting, I would love to see the finished product
What saw are you using for that?

Fab4

I'm not sure yet Fab4. I just brought the Ex home today and I have spent all afternoon tuning/ and cleaning it up. It is in mint condition. Just needed some light housekeeping. I took the table off and messed around with the blade clamps. I'm still not sure about positioning the blades in those clamps but I'll figure it out. I gave the table a real good waxing too. Along with the saw, I got a foot switch that is like the Harbor Freight but not theirs. I think it is the one that came with the saw. Also, there was a big plastic box full of blades. Half Olsen and half PS Wood. So, now I'll get a chance to experience those blades from there too. I would estimate that at retail, there were probably well over $100 in blades. I look forward to building a stand for the saw but I may just sell my Dewalt since it's got the exact same mechanism. Then I can just use the stand I built for it. I couldn't turn the EX the right way on my workbench because it's too long so I turned it sideways and clamped it to the bench. I ran it through the speed range and I can see that it is going to be a very smooth quiet machine. I stuck an old blade in it and ran a piece of scrap through it and it performs very well. I just can't bring myself to sell the Hegner. I always wanted one and I got this one for a very good price so I think I'll keep it and then I will have the top two saws that most folks talk about. I'm still going to keep my eyes open for one of those little Sakura saws that are made by PS. I think it would be a neat little saw to have around. Anyway, that's what I'm up to. I'm going to cut out my patterns for the votive holder and start on it tomorrow. I'll have to use the Dewalt though because it's still the one that I'm used to.

Thanks to everybody who helped me on this. I hope to figure out what I'm doing wrong so I can use Inkscape at some later time and maybe accomplish what I set out to do.

20180623_173157.jpg

20180623_173212.jpg

20180623_173224.jpg

20180623_173235.jpg

Edited by octoolguy

6 minutes ago, loftyhermes said:

Ray, that image measures 2 1/2" wide and 4" tall. The wood will need to be 1 1/2" x 3/4"

Steve

I went ahead and made 8 copies and cut them apart with scissors. I'm tired of trying to figure it out. Now at least I can get to cutting. After the Nascar race tomorrow that is.. Thanks Steve.

6 hours ago, Roberta Moreton said:

Print one copy onto plane paper.  Cut out the part you want. Scan that in... sometimes simple is best. 

Roberta, the problem I'm having is getting a good scan. I am still learning what makes my Epson scanner tick. But, I'm getting better. The book I am trying to scan is older and the white pages have begun to "yellow" and that's the trouble. This time, I just printed out as many copies as I needed and I'll save all the leftovers.