Inkscape question

OCtoolguy

Rather than me write out my questions regarding Inkscape, who is the tried and true Inkscape guru here on the SSV. Besides Travis that is? I wrote to him and posed my question but for future reference, who else here might I contact via private message with my questions? I have watched all his videos and many on Youtube but I never can find a video that references what I need help with.

Ok, here goes. I asked this same question of Travis but have not heard back as of yet. I have a scanned page out of a book that has the patterns in a group on one page. One of the patterns requires a quantity of 8. So, rather than print the entire page 8 times, I wanted to bring it into Inkscape and break it apart. I scanned it into a .pdf. I then went out and found a converter to .svg. I imported the file into Inkscape and tried to work with it but nothing seems to work for me. I ungrouped it, I tried to break it apart but nothing works. I know it can be done but I don't know what I'm either doing wrong or not doing at all. I have watched a ton of youtube videos but nothing helps. I'm so frustrated I could just spit. I use the full sheet address labels and I don't really want to waste them. Thanks for your help.

New Votive Holder_1.svg

Edited by octoolguy

24 minutes ago, rjweb said:

I don’t know how to do, but I would have just printed the 8 pages and been done with it, i always take the easiest way, RJ 

Yes, I almost did that but those full-page labels aren't cheap and I can't be wasting them. Furthermore, I love a challenge.

1 minute ago, jerry1939 said:

Load 1 label & let the printer pull 7 sheets of plain paper to waste?

jerry

Jerry, I never know when to take you seriously. If you are serious, what I want to do is to put the one pattern on to the full page label sheet as many times as it will fit. If it takes two sheets that's fine.

3 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Jerry, I never know when to take you seriously. If you are serious, what I want to do is to put the one pattern on to the full page label sheet as many times as it will fit. If it takes two sheets that's fine.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's possible to break apart an imported image.  Can you move the portion you want onto the canvas & let as much waste stick out as possible & print from there?  Experiment with plain paper.

jerry

2 minutes ago, jerry1939 said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's possible to break apart an imported image.  Can you move the portion you want onto the canvas & let as much waste stick out as possible & print from there?  Experiment with plain paper.

jerry

I'm not following what you mean Jerry. I know I could print 8 copies of the pattern pages and cut out the one I need and they paste them to one sheet of paper or at least as many as would fit. Then copy that onto a label sheet but I thought the whole idea of Inkscape was to be able to manipulate what is on an imported picture. I know that you can create new patterns from scratch but from what I have seen on youtube, it's possible to take a picture of a logo and import it and then break it all apart to use what you need from it. I guess maybe I'm just to old to understand. I thought I did but I guess I don't.

28 minutes ago, dgman said:

If I was in your dilemma, I would print them onto plain paper, as many copies as you need, cut them out then using a glue stick glue then onto your label sheet. 

That may be how I go about it. I just wanted to try to understand Inkscape a bit more. Thanks, Dan.

31 minutes ago, jollyred said:

The way I do it is to import the pdf, then use the "trace bitmap" command.  Separate the image from the traced part and you will be able to work with the traced part, which will be made up of paths.  Use the node selection tool and delete the parts you don't need.

I will give that a try but I think I already did and it just made my computer gag. It seemed to stall the program. But I have a much better .pdf now so I'll give it another try. Every little bit of info is beginning to make some things come clear. Thanks JollyRed.

If you can select the desired information you can lasso or highlight it. Select duplicate then move it to a fresh area. Lasso it again and select copy. Start a new file and paste it. Make as many copies as you  wish that will fit then print it out. You may have to bit trace it but it works great for me. 

1 hour ago, WayneMahler said:

If you can select the desired information you can lasso or highlight it. Select duplicate then move it to a fresh area. Lasso it again and select copy. Start a new file and paste it. Make as many copies as you  wish that will fit then print it out. You may have to bit trace it but it works great for me. 

Thanks Wayne but I'm not sure about what you mean by lasso it. I guess I'm just going to have to make 8 copies and cut them out and paste them to a sheet of paper and then copy to a label sheet. Oh well, it was fun anyway. I hope somebody can come up with a way to use Inkscape. I really want to learn it.

I like it when people post questions as it is a great way to learn.

I took the image above copied into Inkscape and used trace bitmap.  I had to up the brightness threshold to .68 to get all the image.  Went to the node editor and deleted some nodes on the right.

Duplicate 7 times and aligned on page.

No idea what size you were looking but here is image with 8 occurrences.

g49.png