Removing Fuzzies

Rockytime

I've been wanting to purchase a Klingspoor sander for some time and finally did so. I bought the 6" because the larger ones would interfere with my dust collector. I spent last evening breaking it in on some scrap wood. I had been using a Scotch Brite 2" ball and it did fair. I can see the Klingspoor 220 grit can be quite agressive. I'll have to be gentle. It seemed to me I still need something for de-fuzzing small areas. I have several Dremels which work but are not that convenient, having to hold the Dremel in one hand and the scrolled piece in another. I had sheets of Scotch Brite left over when restoring a milling machine. A sheet of Scoth Brite, sharp knife or scissors, a 1/4-20 bolt any length, two 1/4-20 nuts and two fender washers. I used just one layer of Scoth Brite but they could be piled up to make a thicker unit. Instead of punching a hole I just cut an X near the center of the pad with a knife. It works beautifully in narrow slots and other small areas. The grey pad is less aggressive than the green. Scotch Brite is readily available nearly everywhere. I bought mine on Amazon. It's a cheap little device and works great. Scotch Brite can be sometimes stolen from the kitchen but you did not heard it from me.

1-20180622_113756.jpg

2-20180622_114952.jpg

3-20180622_113847.jpg

4-20180622_122229.jpg

5-20180622_122457.jpg

6-20180622_122504.jpg

I would just be so worried by that grabbing the piece and either breaking delicate frets or throwing for a spin. I have always just used my Porta Cable bloc sander. But I also always use #5 FD penquin silver reverse blades. Those couple reverse teeth are enough to knock off fuzzies on the back and the sander does the rest. Good luck with your new tool. 

16 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

I would just be so worried by that grabbing the piece and either breaking delicate frets or throwing for a spin. I have always just used my Porta Cable bloc sander. But I also always use #5 FD penquin silver reverse blades. Those couple reverse teeth are enough to knock off fuzzies on the back and the sander does the rest. Good luck with your new tool. 

I agree with you John. However the little 2" Scotch Brite things are so very gentle and yet so effective. The 6" 220 grit mop is aggressive if not careful so I run it on my lathe at slower speed. I have been using the Penguin silver reverse blades. I find them wonderful. I have all of them 2/0 to #9. I have found the Pegas mg a bit more aggressive than I prefer.