Ideas?

Montserrat

Hi folks, 

I got me some whiskey barrel lids and I am thrilled.  Oak, 1" thick 21" diameter.  Held together by dowels so I will glue them up.  But then...  What can scrollers come up with?  I am thinking fretwork?   They are 30 years old and I am thrilled to have got them. 

Thank for your brain matter 😉

2018-08-02 15.57.23.jpg

2018-08-02 15.57.45.jpg

Edited by Montserrat

3 hours ago, Montserrat said:

Thanks, Jerry,  I am planning on gluing the pieces together into a one solid piece.  Hoping the dowels will not be a problem at that time.  Or am I overlooking something?

Possibly.  IF you were to cut out large fret shapes, you would be able to see dowels looking "down into the cut out holes".

jerry

Looks like an awesome sort of rustic large wall hang clock to me.. I'd cut out numbers from Walnut or something contrasting to glue onto them.. I think i'd leave them with the dowel rods etc just as they are.. 

Might even just stencil / paint the numbers 

Edited by kmmcrafts

What ever  you decide to do with them has got to be interesting. I can not wait to see what you turn these into. I would have rejected them if they would have been offered to me, so I am excited to learn something from this find of yours. I obviously need a wood education here.

Dick

heppnerguy

I would mask off the printing and sand and finish the rest of the disk.  I would not change the splits, leave as is.  Finish with poly urethane or spar varnish and make them patio tables with 3-leg tripod kind of legs, probably cedar posts or baseball bats for legs.

edit - I don't even want to image trying to hang a 1" think,. 21 inch diameter oak disc on the wall, those things are heavy

Edited by JimErn