Dust Collection On Excalibur

kmmcrafts

So I've been looking for quite some time about scroll saw dust collection.. seen a lot of creative ideas from some of you on here with hooking up PVC pipe to your saw and a vacuum etc..

Something that has been some concern to me is noise.. as at the moment I only have a standard shop vac.. or..my big HF 2HP dust collector.. which in my opinion is plenty noisy.. 

A few weeks ago just for fun I hooked my shop vac to the dust port on my EX-21.. and it does pretty good at keeping the dust down.. but.. the noise was a killer to my head, LOL so I stopped doing that... today I bought a 3 way plug so i could ( temporarily ) run the shop vac only while the saw was on via the foot switch.. Probably not good for the vac or the foot switch so I only did this for a short time just to see how it went.. 

I also downloaded a app on my phone to measure dbl noise.. With the shop vac about 8 foot away I showed 86dbl.. I was looking at the noise level of a high end dust extractor both by Fein and Festool.. they both show in the specs about 62dbl.. How accurate the app works.. I don't know but in the ratings of the app some people said it was almost exact to their professional meter... I also seen Seyco as a small dust extractor that can attach right to the saw stand.. Not to sure about that unit.. I like it and the idea of it.. other than the fact I have multiple saws and i think I'd be better off with a larger unit and mount some PVC on each saw so I only need to connect the vac hose to the saw I'm using..but n the other hand.. those higher end dust extractors are quite pricey.. Not sure about if the little Seyco vac is a HEPA Vac or not.. Also don't see much info on the Fein Vacs if they are HEPA filtered or not.. They seem to be much less money than the Festool.. 

Oh forgot to mention that cutting on the saw without the Vac was about 65dbl..

I love my Fein.  They do have a HEPA filter for it.  It is only $104!  The noise of the air sucking into my PVC pipe is what annoys me most... fact it might be louder than the vac.  Don't know how that could be fixed.  That aside, I am very happy with my setup.  I use it on two saws, just switch the hose, but with a little effort I could fix to where I just turn a 1/4 turn value or two to switch back and forth. 

1 minute ago, spirithorse said:

Hi, Kevin,
Are you wearing any hearing protection while using the saw with or without the dust collection?
I would think that option would make a huge difference in protecting your hearing with any dust collection system you may find.

God Bless! Spirithorse

No I don't.. I'd rather loose my hearing than my lungs.. I wear a dust mask.. Not sure how many things I could strap to my head before I get too top heavy and if i lean too far one way I may just fall over.. 😂.  The noise don't bother me as far as being concerned about loosing my hearing.. I've work in a factory for 14 years and worked in the sawmill for 10 years a auto body repair shop for several years.. I've already lost some hearing according to my wife 😂😂.. I only downloaded that app so i'd have an idea of how loud those higher end vacs are to what my shop vac is... It's more about just wanting to hear my music.. and not listening to the vac for 4-8 hours a day.. I could deal with it if I were just occasionally cutting for fun.. 

That all said.. yes i do wear hearing protection when running the table saw or other equipment that is quite loud.. not trying to say I don't care about my hearing.. but at the same time.. I don't want to wear safety glasses. dust mask, and hearing protection all day every day either if I don't have to.. In shopping for a dust vac I'm looking for efficient and quiet.. since it'll be running a lot..

28 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

Can you operate a dust collection outside of your scroll saw area, like in another room? If you have room to do the same, I have seen where a dust collection system was enclosed in an insulated closet. That would be pure luxury.

Yes that is absolutely and option.. I'm thinking about putting the vac upstairs right above the scroll saw area.. then I could plumb the pvc through the floor.. and I have the upstairs all insulated etc too so it would certainly be much quieter than having the vac next to me.. LOL.. 

I don't think the higher end vacuums are all that loud though.. Maybe louder than I really think.. but just as an example.. I ran the Dbl app at the grocery store today.. pretty much was running at 50 -60 dbl just walking through the isles.. then when I got up at the checkout the beeping noise as they scan the items at the register the app showed 72dbl.. Those higher end vacs claim to be 62dbl.. which is the same as the me sawing a stack of ornaments.. so I really don't think one of those dust extractors would be much if any more noisy than sawing on the saw.. 

BTW.. Having fun measuring the sounds of things with that app.. have a few things I want to try.. like.. riding the lawn tractor.. my wife snoring 😂😂   

7 hours ago, Rockytime said:

Can you operate a dust collection outside of your scroll saw area, like in another room? If you have room to do the same, I have seen where a dust collection system was enclosed in an insulated closet. That would be pure luxury.

This is what i did. I have the saw in my shop(a room in the garage) and the dust collector in the garage with all the tubing going through the wall. I bought a remote power switch so i could turn it on and off from in the shop. I can hear the dust collector but it doesn't bother me. I just turn up the radio 😁

Kevin, I've got a setup similar to Sycamore67's. I found a used Fein on C/L for a great price and I can tell you, it's very quiet. As Paul said though, it's the hissing/whistling/sucking noise right at the saw that is loud. I'm thinking of redoing mine in larger pvc with a wide mouth adaptor of some sort to see if I can make it quieter. Now that I have the EX, I am going to make something for it too. I left the long hose on the vac and run it to my saw across my small shop and when I'm using the EX it will probably be just outside the shop door and I can run the hose to it too. Anyway, the answer to your original question is, yes the high end vacs are quiet. Worth every penny in the long run. It just hurts at the time of purchase. Like anything worthwhile. When I was selling tools, my motto was "buy the best and cry only once". Makes sense.