anyone air brushing?

WayneG

Been thinking for a long time I should get an air brush, already have a compressor so it not much of an investment. I was looking at a pretty nice air brush today at KMS tools for 47$ only. add another 10-15 for extra little containers so its quick to swap between colors and voila!

Just not sure I would have much of a skill as it relates to that....buddy of mine when we were younger is phenominal with it, he thinks I will develop some skill.

I would be buying it primarily for painting frames and backboards and some of the scroll pieces although I would not want to fully paint pieces as I like seeing the wood.

So anyone out in SSV using an airbrush? 

perhaps Crupeia? sp?

I used to play with them a little.. never did get real good at it.. but then.. I was only about 10 years old.. My older brothers used them to do custom paint jobs on cars.. when done they'd let me play with the leftover paint in some scrap hoods and fenders etc..  

My father used them on paper to create scenery for his scroll saw projects.. he'd paint the top of the backer blue for the sky and green for grass etc etc.. and then glue it to the back of his cuttings.. made them really pop with a scene on the background of some of those cuttings he did.. He played a lot with the 2 - 3 dimensional cuttings where you cut think wood and create from several types of wood to create a dimensional scene.. 

I use an airbrush. Its fun to play with but there is a pretty good learning curve.

Bought a kit on amazon that came with 3 different airbrushes, compressor and some basic paints. I mainky use the brush that is a top feed where you out the paint in the little bowl affixed to the top of it. Seems to work the best,

The real key to it is to get some reducer.  You need to mix a fiw drops with the paint so it comes out properly. Also you need to clean the airbrush after using it so it doesnt get messed up so some cleaner would not hurt either.

Its hard to to large areas because you need to go over them a number of times to get an even coating. Works great for smaller pieces and shading though. I painted this one with the airbrush.

18582196_1573285999370705_1000387585153085915_n.jpg

Edited by crupiea

1 hour ago, crupiea said:

I use an airbrush. Its fun to play with but there is a pretty good learning curve.

Bought a kit on amazon that came with 3 different airbrushes, compressor and some basic paints. I mainky use the brush that is a top feed where you out the paint in the little bowl affixed to the top of it. Seems to work the best,

The real key to it is to get some reducer.  You need to mix a fiw drops with the paint so it comes out properly. Also you need to clean the airbrush after using it so it doesnt get messed up so some cleaner would not hurt either.

Its hard to to large areas because you need to go over them a number of times to get an even coating. Works great for smaller pieces and shading though. I painted this one with the airbrush.

18582196_1573285999370705_1000387585153085915_n.jpg

Do you use frisket film?

On 9/4/2018 at 7:18 AM, Scrappile said:

I've had a cheap one for years.  Still sits in the original box, unopened, waiting to that "someday".  I think it is destined for a yard sale....  You need talent I do not possess to use one.

My thoughts exactly Paul. A man needs to know his limitations. I heard that somewhere.

That's been on my wish list for some time. I've read that the Badger Anthem 155 is a pretty good unit. I keep on eye on CL for one. 

Cleaning is just part of the using spray equipment.

I hope I'm not stealing a thread here but I wanted to mention that I do a fair amount of spray finishing with a HVLP unit, an Earlex 5500. It comes the turbine, hose, and gun plus a DVD that's decent. I also purchased Spray Finishing Made Simple by Jeff Jewitt. It's a really good book and comes with a DVD that's great. I've had no problems getting up and going. I'm spraying 4 bi-fold louvered doors this week. If someone wanted to paint backers, particularly those of you who are trying to earn money with your scrolling,  this would be a good method.

Edited by oldhudson