Stand or Sit

Foxfold

15 hours ago, ike said:

I sit and I have my saw set at a 2 1/2 " up in the back works fine for me besides @  the age of 79 I can't stand for long periods at a time but i can sit and scroll for hours.

IKE

Mmm, if I'm that comfortable I too may scroll for hours, but losing myself like that would mean my other 'wifely' duties may not get done. 🤣

I sit, I have a perfectly good bar-stool (with back!) that got some paint splashed on the legs once, so the wife was going to throw it out as "ruined".  I've got two Kobalt workbenches (purchased from Lowes when we moved), not sure what height they are, but the bar stool is a good height.  My Dremel scrollsaw sits flat on an old mousepad to keep it from vibrating and wandering across the work area (the suction cups that keep it in place....suck.  They're old, though, guess I can't fault them).  I may try raising the rear of the saw, see how that works. 

Another vote for high enough to comfortably stand at and then a chair tall enough to sit at the machine when the mood strikes me.  I tend to stand for quick cut outs such as a carving blank, but sit when close attention to detail and following the line precisely are required.  At 6 foot, I am not very tall, but I like the saw a bit higher than some folks.  My swivel stool is bar stool height.  

I sit mostly and it suits for most jobs. The problem occurs when I'm doing a large piece and I have to swing it to cope with the cutting. I can only cope with holding my breath in for so long before I have to push the stool back and stand back from the machine.

Bob

19 hours ago, savethebeer said:

I sit mostly and it suits for most jobs. The problem occurs when I'm doing a large piece and I have to swing it to cope with the cutting. I can only cope with holding my breath in for so long before I have to push the stool back and stand back from the machine.

Bob

Holding my breath and sucking it in just doesn't make as much difference as it used to :rofl:

13 hours ago, Foxfold said:

Oooh, may I ask what a 'deadman switch' is please ?

There are three kinds of foot switches.  The most common is the kind where you step on it the saw goes and when you take your foot off it stops.  This is a deadman switch.  A less common type is the ones where you step on it once it goes and it continues to go until you step on it again.  They are called continuous run switches.  The third type is a speed control foot switch.  This is the kind that the further you press down on the pedal the faster it goes.  Like on a sewing machine.  The last type SHOULD NEVER BE USED ON A SCROLL SAW.