Shelf paper, Blue tape or what?

danny

Been using Walmart clear shelf paper since the first of this year. 

Have Always had some (very little) wood fibers that were lifted when removing the Pattern.

So I say its the Sticky on the back of the Shelf Paper. 

Blue Tape had this problem as to why I stopped using it. 

Just Wondering if there has been invented a Better Removable adhesive paper that Will not lift the Fibers?

A Proven method I used for a long time was to just Spray g;ue the back of the pattern and apply straight to the Wood blank.

Only hang up I didn't like was using the Mineral Spirits to lift the pattern off.  Worked Great, but was some Clean up of the Wood blank.

SO MY INQUIRY IS WHAT DO ALL OF YOU USE NOW?                    Thanks for your reply...................Danny  :+}

I spray glue only.

There is a trick to it though, As I am sure you know, it can be a complete pain to get the pattern off sometimes.

To prevent this i spray the glue but a super super thin amount. Maybe 1 second for the entire pattern. it should not look wet.

Then i let it sit for at least 15 minutes. It should be just barely tacky, way less tacky than a post it note, way less. Almost like its not tacky at all.

Put it right on,. It will stay in place for the sawing and will come right off when done.  Takes a bit of practice but once ytou get it down you will swear by it.

I use the shelf liner and or tape.. either blue painters tape or clear packing tape... but the painters tape is not all created equal.. The high dollar stuff you get from a automotive paint supply store is good stuff.. though not cheap at all either.. which is why I use the shelf liner.. The shelf liner works great for me.. IF... I cut out the projects the same day.. or at least finish it up and peel it back off within a couple of days.. I found that using some light heat helps a ton on the stubborn ones... Use a hair dryer or heat gun if needed.. but be warned.. get it too hot and then it sticks worst.. so I found working a smaller area at a time is best... actually the best for me has been just to st it out in the direct sunlight for a few before attempting to remove it does wonders..

I have tried the adhesive shelf paper and it works ok. I have just started using the full page shipping labels that are printable. They seem to work the best so far. I also use a heat gun to remove any of the material that I use but not hot. Just enough to get a corner loose. Then while holding the heat gun back a bit I aim it the material and just peel it off as it warms. So far I haven't had to use mineral spirits. When I use the spray adhesive, I have to use MS. I really like the labels the best. I don't use any blue tape at all. I do use the clear packing tape if I have some delicate work.

34 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

I have tried the adhesive shelf paper and it works ok. I have just started using the full page shipping labels that are printable. They seem to work the best so far. I also use a heat gun to remove any of the material that I use but not hot. Just enough to get a corner loose. Then while holding the heat gun back a bit I aim it the material and just peel it off as it warms. So far I haven't had to use mineral spirits. When I use the spray adhesive, I have to use MS. I really like the labels the best. I don't use any blue tape at all. I do use the clear packing tape if I have some delicate work.

When I first started using the full sheet labels.. I tried to to just stick the label to the wood.. i had issues with them lifting off.. but never did have an issue with them stuck to the tape or other surface.. But.. those first few labels I got also didn't stick the greatest to my shipping boxes either.. well they did stick okay on boxes but not the poly bubble mailers.. so I ended up taping each end on all the packages I mailed out until they was gone.. that was the only batch that I purchased that wasn't as sticky as they should be.. ever since then they are so sticky now that I'd be afraid they wouldn't come off the wood if i tried that.. can hardly get them off my fingers if I touch it, LOL

I buy my labels off eBay.. Typically in large quantities.. and I suspect that they are probably seconds that someone gets from the factory that makes them... and that the glue is not enough or too much for them to be sold as the certain brand.. or fail quality control.. either way... they are cheap compared to buying them local.. I typically pay about $50 for 1000 sheets or approximately $50 a year for them.. 

2 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

When I first started using the full sheet labels.. I tried to to just stick the label to the wood.. i had issues with them lifting off.. but never did have an issue with them stuck to the tape or other surface.. But.. those first few labels I got also didn't stick the greatest to my shipping boxes either.. well they did stick okay on boxes but not the poly bubble mailers.. so I ended up taping each end on all the packages I mailed out until they was gone.. that was the only batch that I purchased that wasn't as sticky as they should be.. ever since then they are so sticky now that I'd be afraid they wouldn't come off the wood if i tried that.. can hardly get them off my fingers if I touch it, LOL

I buy my labels off eBay.. Typically in large quantities.. and I suspect that they are probably seconds that someone gets from the factory that makes them... and that the glue is not enough or too much for them to be sold as the certain brand.. or fail quality control.. either way... they are cheap compared to buying them local.. I typically pay about $50 for 1000 sheets or approximately $50 a year for them.. 

Thanks for the info Kevin. I bought a package of 100 on Amazon for about $11. It will take me a while to burn through them because I try to put as many patterns as possible on each one. It takes some messing around but I get it done.

4 hours ago, loftyhermes said:

Danny, if you use re-positionable spray adhesive on the back of the pattern you can just pull it off and it leaves little or no residue on the wood that soon goes when given a light sanding. I've been using this system for over 20 years and it's been problem free.

What is the Brand Name for this spray glue?  Thanks............Danny  :+}

I use spray adhesive and apply the pattern directly to the wood.  I've used blue tape and clear tape.  While there may be a marginal benefit of lubrication and cooling the blade, I don't find it being worth the effort, in most cases, so I've pretty much abandoned the use of tape.  If the spray adhesive is applied properly, it will peel off without using MS.  I do use MS after removal, to make sure I get any residue that remains, then a light hand sanding with 220 grit paper.

1 hour ago, danny said:

What is the Brand Name for this spray glue?  Thanks............Danny  :+}

Danny, I'm in the UK and I've used 3M, Bostik, own brand from local craft shops and now currently using one from Crafters Companion, all re-positionable. All performed the same. I now buy when on offer, that's why I'm using the one from Crafters Companion which I think I'll stick to because of the price and a local shop.

Edited by loftyhermes

Thanks Bill....  Your bring back Many Memories of just never to worry about the Spray Glue and apply the

pattern directly to the wood.  I keep a spray bottle of Mineral Spirits and when the Cutting is done I just

give the pattern a quick spray and within a Minute the pattern lifts off pretty as you please.    Like you said

just a good rub with the MS and not much sanding with 220 grit does the trick. 

Thanks to Everyone for their comments...........Love this Forum.......................Danny  :+}

it depends on what I'm doing. If its compound cutting, I use the blue tape. With delicate fretwork, I apply the pattern direct with 3M77, and clean that up with MS. Other times I use white shelf paper. I don't care for the clear shelf paper, It's hard for me to see when it comes time to removing it. 

On 9/7/2018 at 9:37 AM, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Use purple or green painters tape. Less tack than blue. Blue--Purple---Green in that order.

From one John to another, I agree with the tape. I use blue but have had very good results with the green. Depends on what the prices are of the various colours when I need a few rolls ;)