Help needed.

Foxfold

As you all know I've bought a new to me saw. An Axminster.  However, I've read and re-read the instruction book and still cannot even change a blade. Now there was a blade in it when I got it and I don't know how long it had been stood doing nothing, but my guess is at least a year. Are there places that do 'over hauls' on scrollsaws or does anyone know of a nice UK forum that I could join to enable me to get in touch with some kind soul that may be able to come over and help me ?  I know this is a long shot but thought I'd ask anyway.  Not only am I totally new to scrolling I'm a useless mechanic.  😭

Brenda, pages 18, 19 and 20 of the manual  https://www.axminster.co.uk/media/downloads/501201_manual.pdf cover blade changing. I've not used your saw so can't offer any more advice than that. 

UKworkshop is about the best UK forum. https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/index.php

57 minutes ago, loftyhermes said:

Brenda, pages 18, 19 and 20 of the manual  https://www.axminster.co.uk/media/downloads/501201_manual.pdf cover blade changing. I've not used your saw so can't offer any more advice than that. 

UKworkshop is about the best UK forum. https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/index.php

I think that it must need an overhaul, because it says -stage 2 = ''remove table insert''  LOL well the flaming thing won't move,  everything seems to be stuck solid. I'll chech with the other forum and Axminster maybe.  Thanks anyway, xx

Brenda, some table inserts fit pretty tight so they don't move when using the saw. If you can get at it from under the table, give it a small whack with a little hammer. It should just pop out. After looking at the manual that was referred to, I see that you saw is very similar to a Hegner. 

Edited by octoolguy

Ok, so I managed to get to my saw finally. Sat and re-read the instructions - 'slowly' -  and I've got everything sorted. 

Did some cutting on it and WOW it is so, so different to my little PinEnd saw.   The blades are so tiny compared to the ones I'm used to, but it is amazing.

Had to wear my new 'Magnfying Glasses' which took a little getting used to, but I cut a couple of practice pieces out of thin plywood and I was quite happy. Not sure how these tiny things don't snap at the drop of a hat though, but I know you lot cut quite thick wood with them sometimes, but I guess I will learn what I can cut and what I can't over the winter months.  I've printed out lots of 'practice' sheets from the Resources tab, so hope with time to be a good scroller. 

Edited by Foxfold

good on ya! yer a better mechanic than a lot of mechanics-many just keep tearing off and bangin stuff creating an even more expensive repair without readin how-to's and you took the time to read instructions. 

ive been scollin since 06 and im still just practicing. thats pretty much all i  do with whatever im doing- even walking. i can mess up that even but glad im just practicing. :)

25 minutes ago, Phantom Scroller said:

I would have helped you but your a fair distance from me Brenda what is the saw an EX or something else?? Roly

Thanks Roly, I appreciate the thought. It's an Axminster Trade Series AWFS 18. I bought it second hand. But after  'flapping about' like a headless chicken I decided to sit/read/digest. 🙂   The instruction book is actually well written when you stop and read it. So now I can change a blade,  undo the top of the blade and put it through holes in my pattern and it's working well.  Just so different to my little 'Clarke' machine.  Just got to learn about blades now and I'm up and running  😁

6 hours ago, tomsteve said:

good on ya! yer a better mechanic than a lot of mechanics-many just keep tearing off and bangin stuff creating an even more expensive repair without readin how-to's and you took the time to read instructions. 

ive been scollin since 06 and im still just practicing. thats pretty much all i  do with whatever im doing- even walking. i can mess up that even but glad im just practicing. :)

Just remember, doctors and lawyers all just "practice".

9 hours ago, Foxfold said:

Thanks Roly, I appreciate the thought. It's an Axminster Trade Series AWFS 18. I bought it second hand. But after  'flapping about' like a headless chicken I decided to sit/read/digest. 🙂   The instruction book is actually well written when you stop and read it. So now I can change a blade,  undo the top of the blade and put it through holes in my pattern and it's working well.  Just so different to my little 'Clarke' machine.  Just got to learn about blades now and I'm up and running  😁

Good work flying Dutchman ultra reverse blades are good cleaner cuts not so much sanding 3's 5's and 7's for me I do have some 2's but they snap easy with to much pressure. You'll see which works better for you as you cut more stuff. Roly