Good luck Iggy

NC Scroller

Please pray for Iggy.  He lives right by the projected landfall site of Florence.  She looks like a bad one.  I am also in the direct path but I am 150 miles from the landfall site.  By the time it gets to me it should have pretty much blown herself out.  Now if the ground can handle a foot or more of rain.

Prayers for all those in the path. We were in Charleston a couple of years back in our motorhome. We were marooned for a week because of the flooding. 24" of rain in 36 hours. Never quit. It sounded like there were a hundred snare drummers on our roof. We love the rain but not like that.

Thanks so much everyone for thinking about me and the family.  I had posted a couple of updates in the Coffee House forum, sorry I didn't look here as well.

Florence hit 10 miles north of my house, then the eye drifted down directly over my town of Carolina Beach.  So far, everything seems to be OK, waiting on word about our house.  Less rain than expected and a lot less than other areas in the state.  We evacuated to South Carolina and the storm followed us here, but we never lost power and have been sitting around waiting til we can go home, likely Monday or Tuesday.

We were very lucky and hoping that continues as we await power to be restored and find everything OK upon our return.

Iggy

2018-09-14_0853.png

Unfortunately the luck didn't hold.  As I've been tracking the storm, I knew the heaviest rains were still to come and they did overnight last night.  I received a text from my neighbor at 4am that his garage had 10 inches of rain in it which meant my garage had the same and very likely could have risen enough to go into our house.  No way to know anything yet, it's still raining.  We have a friend with a key to our house but she'll have her own issues to contend with and I won't ask her to go by our house until I hear from her first.  Maybe I can get the neighbor to look in the window once it's safe for them to venture out.  So close... the final day of the slow moving storm...

Oh, and due to the additional flooding in the entire area, it could mean a few more days before we can even get back to our town as all roads leading into the Wilmington area were already flooded yesterday.

Edited by Iguanadon

Is it possible I'll be lucky?  Above photos were from 8:30am, this photo is 4 hours later, water quickly receded... The neighbor that shot the pictures for me peeked in the window and says there was no water in the sunroom which is 6" lower than the main house.  Fingers are crossed.  Won't be able to get home for a few more days to see for myself.

received_2022511041102318.jpeg

Might as well keep a daily diary...  Monday morning update... Power was restored at our house last night and my home monitoring system was available and I could see inside the house and no water!!! 

The town of Carolina Beach announced they are going to allow residents back on the island beginning at noon today.  The only issue is that the city of Wilmington is now a huge island in that there are no passable roads leading into the city and that's the only way to our home.   And to top it all off, the worst of the flooding is expected over the next two days as all the rivers begin to crest.  No telling when we'll be able to head back.  We're crossing our fingers for Thursday because that's when we have to leave the place we're staying because new guests are scheduled to check in.

A friend of ours who rode out the storm (even though there was a mandatory evacuation) just went to our house, walked through and everything is great.  The garage did take on 6" of water but has drained back out.  I'll assess the damage when I get back home... eventually.  

P.S. This is the worst vacation EVER!!!  😉

Edited by Iguanadon