A Few New Clocks

kmmcrafts

On 9/18/2018 at 5:00 AM, John B said:

I like the clocks Kevin. I like making them myself, but find they don't move to quickly here. A couple I placed pen holders on and they went quite well.
nice work mate.

Thank you!

I found that in order to sell clocks.. well anything really.. you have to have quite a variety to display.. gotta have one themed for everyone, LOL.. everybody knows somebody that just needs a desk clock of something they are passionate about... whether it's career, sports, or just something they enjoy... Honestly don't think they'd do real well at in person events.. The issue with clocks is. most scroll saw people don't really want to spend the money on the inserts and then not be able to sell them.. 

They do sell in your area.. well maybe not "your area".. but in your country they do because I've sold about 23 of them to Australia so far this year.. most were car themed and most were the 57 Chevy clock... they must be a hot car over there, LOL..  

On 9/18/2018 at 10:16 AM, meflick said:

Nice work Kevin.  I too remember seeing those patterns.  I think @Birchbark provided several of them.  I know he will be happy to see them being put to use.  Thanks for sharing.

Thank you! Yes they was designed by Birchbark.. I hope he will be happy to see them put to use,  he did an awesome job on them.... I'd like to see more clock type patterns being made.. always looking for new clock designs..  

Kevin they came out well. I too am making a few of these being I requested them. I am right now in bundle project mode. So they are in the que. Probably by Nov first week I should have many patterns done and will show all as a Group. I scroll them then finish them and get ready for my shows in Dec. I too love clocks and always on the lookout for clock patterns. Just ordered some 2" inserts from Cherry Tree this week and boy did the prices go up. I will have to take a serious look at my selling prices this year. People just do not understand this part. 

10 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Kevin they came out well. I too am making a few of these being I requested them. I am right now in bundle project mode. So they are in the que. Probably by Nov first week I should have many patterns done and will show all as a Group. I scroll them then finish them and get ready for my shows in Dec. I too love clocks and always on the lookout for clock patterns. Just ordered some 2" inserts from Cherry Tree this week and boy did the prices go up. I will have to take a serious look at my selling prices this year. People just do not understand this part. 

Thank you JT, I also do my clocks in group batches as so i'm not changing set ups all the time..  I haven't ordered the 2" clocks yet.. and will probably not order them from the factory since I need to buy large quantities to do that.. and I just don't use that many 2" clocks.. I've done a little shopping online and found that I will probably be buying mine from Sloans.. My normal factory direct supplier has better ones with metal cases and the Japanese movements in them.. but I really don't need 250 + clocks in the 2" size.. I've never used a 2" clock before until I did these clocks.. most are the 1-7/16".. Might have to change up my designs though as I do think the 2" would be easier on the eyes to see.. at least for my old eyes they are, LOL

Look forward to seeing your clocks.. you always do top notch work..    

1 hour ago, kmmcrafts said:

Thank you JT, I also do my clocks in group batches as so i'm not changing set ups all the time..  I haven't ordered the 2" clocks yet.. and will probably not order them from the factory since I need to buy large quantities to do that.. and I just don't use that many 2" clocks.. I've done a little shopping online and found that I will probably be buying mine from Sloans.. My normal factory direct supplier has better ones with metal cases and the Japanese movements in them.. but I really don't need 250 + clocks in the 2" size.. I've never used a 2" clock before until I did these clocks.. most are the 1-7/16".. Might have to change up my designs though as I do think the 2" would be easier on the eyes to see.. at least for my old eyes they are, LOL

Look forward to seeing your clocks.. you always do top notch work..    

This has been my thought lately too about the size. The ones from Cherry tree are metal with glass and are good quality because I bought from them before. I did not need too many so that is the reason I went with them. Now hopefully they did not change vendors on these like they did on some others. What I do not like is they sell their inserts of this size and smaller with batteries because that is the way the come from China, but being they sit on the shelf for long periods of time the battery goes dead. I questioned them and argued with them that they should replace and sell as a complete unit but they do not care. I buy inserts from many places and always get fresh batteries. I have had my problems with them before and I stressed this was their last chance to make good or else they have seen my last $$. Probably means nothing to them. I make many different size clocks but have lately enlarged a few patterns to accommodate the larger inserts. I do not like to make too many wall hung clocks because they do not sell well for me. I like to keep them desk type styles. With the 2" designs they are the only ones I can find that carry a few that is popular with some of my clock designs. But I am willing to go another route if these do not work out. 

When I asked for these designs I was trying to expand my line of occupational clocks to try to get more people to relate to them. I wrote a couple times to Steve Good to see if he would start a line and he said he liked the idea and would work them in but as far as now he has not. I have taken a few of his plaque patterns and have resized and did some manipulating to get to desk clock size.. Health and family matters have cut into my plan this year and have just recently been able to get in the shop again but hopefully I can get quite a few projects done in time. I usually make multiples of things but many projects I am keeping to one of a kind for now. If I see something go fast I will note it for next year or take orders. Looking to shake up old inventory and present some new items. 

Kevin question for you. Have you ordered 2" inserts from Sloans before??  I have never ordered that size from them and their price is a bit lower than Cherry tree but what turns me off is the black plastic back they have listed and the clips on the side. . To me that means a lower grade clock even though they claim it is not. The ones I use to get were all metal with stainless backs and glass lens. Now I have not gotten this  set yet so as I said hopefully they did not change vendors, I have no problem with the rubber ring to hold them in. Just wondering your thought on the insert and if you have any from sloans could you post a photo of the back?? Thanks. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

5 minutes ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

. What I do not like is they sell their inserts of this size and smaller with batteries because that is the way the come from China, but being they sit on the shelf for long periods of time the battery goes dead. I questioned them and argued with them that they should replace and sell as a complete unit but they do not care. I buy inserts from many places and always get fresh batteries.

John, (I have not made a clock in a few years) What I did was purchase a bulk lot of the 2 sizes of battery used and would drill a small hole in the base of the clock a place a spare battery in it, held in place with a piece of sticky tape. I have ordered a few clocks from Aliexpress https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-style-Insert-watch-head-watch-movement-52mm-clock-parts-Arabic-number-5pcs-lot-Free-shipping/758077247.html?spm=2114.search0604.0.0.6dea3646bcTaOg

They take an age to get here but they come from China just like all the others ;)

3 minutes ago, John B said:

John, (I have not made a clock in a few years) What I did was purchase a bulk lot of the 2 sizes of battery used and would drill a small hole in the base of the clock a place a spare battery in it, held in place with a piece of sticky tape. I have ordered a few clocks from Aliexpress https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-style-Insert-watch-head-watch-movement-52mm-clock-parts-Arabic-number-5pcs-lot-Free-shipping/758077247.html?spm=2114.search0604.0.0.6dea3646bcTaOg

They take an age to get here but they come from China just like all the others ;)

Thanks John That link shows a nice new style insert that I have to keep in mind. I have ordered many times direct from China. I ordered inserts from around the world and from many different sources to get different styles. I use to have a couple solid vendor places but they have dropped many products so I am always on the lookout for new ones. As far as supplying new batteries as spares I do not. I always put a fresh new battery in the clock when a person buys from me and I show and explain how to replace and tell them where to get new ones. I always include an instruction sheet under the base taped to the bottom for convenience. 

IMGP0346.JPG