A Few New Clocks

kmmcrafts

26 minutes ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Kevin question for you. Have you ordered 2" inserts from Sloans before??  I have never ordered that size from them and their price is a bit lower than Cherry tree but what turns me off is the black plastic back they have listed and the clips on the side. . To me that means a lower grade clock even though they claim it is not. The ones I use to get were all metal with stainless backs and glass lens. Now I have not gotten this  set yet so as I said hopefully they did not change vendors, I have no problem with the rubber ring to hold them in. Just wondering your thought on the insert and if you have any from sloans could you post a photo of the back?? Thanks. 

I have not ordered these yet.. I also have never used the 2" inserts before ( that I remember anyway :)  ) 

I belong to several large lawn and garden tractor clubs (ie John Deere Simplicity, Wheel Horse etc) I made myself a wheel horse logo pattern and made a clock.. I liked it very much and posted an image on the club website.. not for sale.. but at any rate.. I ended up getting permission from Toro Wheel Horse to use the logo.. I sold about 50 clocks within just a few hours once I did put some up for sale.. Anyway my story is.. The cheapest clocks I could find at the time (2007) was plastic with the plastic back cover... I used them in all those clocks.. I have several here that I still have in use.. Never had a complaint.. and mine still work great.. I believe the 2" clocks still use the same motor so I really don't have any worries about it being plastic. Maybe the motors have changed but like I said.. I've never had any issues with them.. I have since upgraded to metal cased clocks and I buy factory direct now with Japanese made moters etc.. I can order the 2" ones with Metal cases etc.. just as I do the smaller ones.. I just don't use the 2" that much.. but I may change to those once I see in person how the 2" compares to the smaller ones.. I'm getting quite low on the small inserts and will be ordering again in the next month or so.. I may order both small and the 2" ones... 

At one time.. I had a lot of issues with the larger 3" + sized clocks.. and at that time.. I went to all suppliers I could find online.. order small quantity samples of various sizes and styles that I used at the time.. Found that they all are pretty much made in China and probably the same factory.. There are two different motors that I am aware of.. the Japanese and Chinese for the smaller inserts.. I do buy the USA movements for the wall clocks with hands etc ( not inserts ).. 

I'm going to order some from sloans soon and I'll take some pictures of what I get to show you.. But I'm doubting I'll order any more than just a few from them.. If I like the size etc.. I'll be placing a large order factory direst with metal cases.. I do like the metal cases better.. but never an issue in the past with the plastic ones either..    

5 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

I have not ordered these yet.. I also have never used the 2" inserts before ( that I remember anyway :)  ) 

I belong to several large lawn and garden tractor clubs (ie John Deere Simplicity, Wheel Horse etc) I made myself a wheel horse logo pattern and made a clock.. I liked it very much and posted an image on the club website.. not for sale.. but at any rate.. I ended up getting permission from Toro Wheel Horse to use the logo.. I sold about 50 clocks within just a few hours once I did put some up for sale.. Anyway my story is.. The cheapest clocks I could find at the time (2007) was plastic with the plastic back cover... I used them in all those clocks.. I have several here that I still have in use.. Never had a complaint.. and mine still work great.. I believe the 2" clocks still use the same motor so I really don't have any worries about it being plastic. Maybe the motors have changed but like I said.. I've never had any issues with them.. I have since upgraded to metal cased clocks and I buy factory direct now with Japanese made moters etc.. I can order the 2" ones with Metal cases etc.. just as I do the smaller ones.. I just don't use the 2" that much.. but I may change to those once I see in person how the 2" compares to the smaller ones.. I'm getting quite low on the small inserts and will be ordering again in the next month or so.. I may order both small and the 2" ones... 

At one time.. I had a lot of issues with the larger 3" + sized clocks.. and at that time.. I went to all suppliers I could find online.. order small quantity samples of various sizes and styles that I used at the time.. Found that they all are pretty much made in China and probably the same factory.. There are two different motors that I am aware of.. the Japanese and Chinese for the smaller inserts.. I do buy the USA movements for the wall clocks with hands etc ( not inserts ).. 

I'm going to order some from sloans soon and I'll take some pictures of what I get to show you.. But I'm doubting I'll order any more than just a few from them.. If I like the size etc.. I'll be placing a large order factory direst with metal cases.. I do like the metal cases better.. but never an issue in the past with the plastic ones either..    

I use to buy the plastic back 1-7/8 inserts with the plastic clips back in the day but now get all metal and glass. Yea these things are all China made. I do not use too many 2" before so I really only need to order small quantities.  I am not in that amount of production mode so do not need big numbers any more. Have scaled way back and now scroll for fun. Too old to chase the $$$ any more. Many times I will scale a project to fit certain inserts that I have that I think look good for a particular project.

Yea Kevin if you ever do order 2" from sloans I would be interested in seeing them to see why they are so much cheaper than Cherry tree. From what I am reading they look like the old style with the side clips and plastic backs. They have been long gone.  Cherry tree does not allow for bulk buying pricing. They told me they averaged the savings and use that to be across the board price. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

7 hours ago, Foxfold said:

Wow, they are gorgeous. I couldn't do one in day let alone 12,

Thank you!

Yeah well these are really quite simple ones to make.. and with a little bit of seat time at your saw you'll be able to comfortably do this much work in a day..How you have your shop set up will also play a huge roll in what you can do in a days worth of work.. 

1 minute ago, meflick said:

@kmmcrafts Kevin, did you see the new hot rod clock pattern Steve Good posted today? Looks right up your alley. 😉

Well, I check my email until you mentioned it... I had not seen it yet..but would have eventually.. as I am signed up on the email list.. Thanks for the heads up though.. defiantly going to cut that one.. I have another batch of "New" clocks I'm working on so I'll add it to my list.. cut 4 new ones last night.. 

On 9/17/2018 at 1:16 PM, kmmcrafts said:

Since I found some new clock patterns last week and had a order for a clock I made about 12 clocks this morning.  Only photos of the new ones posted though and these aren’t quite finished yet as I don’t have these sanded and mounted to the bases yet. I need to order some inserts as I don’t have any 2” inserts left. So another reason they aren’t finished. Thought I’d show them anyway so I won’t forget to when I get them finished up. Probably finish on them after my afternoon break lol. All cut from 5/8 Cherry.

914FD18B-BB82-4D5E-AF71-F193DDC5C310.jpeg

E6BB3733-E8C6-4F03-BA39-38BC371FBD05.jpeg

57BEFE40-A078-4EDF-9994-5D7BFFEDFFE7.jpeg

BB9341BA-C00E-4AED-85E5-9D4033CC36CC.jpeg

DA9803B8-7D2C-468E-A960-536624E61E8E.jpeg

very nice work!

On 9/21/2018 at 3:23 PM, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

I use to buy the plastic back 1-7/8 inserts with the plastic clips back in the day but now get all metal and glass. Yea these things are all China made. I do not use too many 2" before so I really only need to order small quantities.  I am not in that amount of production mode so do not need big numbers any more. Have scaled way back and now scroll for fun. Too old to chase the $$$ any more. Many times I will scale a project to fit certain inserts that I have that I think look good for a particular project.

Yea Kevin if you ever do order 2" from sloans I would be interested in seeing them to see why they are so much cheaper than Cherry tree. From what I am reading they look like the old style with the side clips and plastic backs. They have been long gone.  Cherry tree does not allow for bulk buying pricing. They told me they averaged the savings and use that to be across the board price. 

Just got my order of 2" inserts in from Cherry tree and sure enough one does not work. Can not change the time on it. They are metal but have a grey plastic back. The past ones had a metal back. But right inside made in China sticker. Have to call on Monday. 

On 9/23/2018 at 12:29 AM, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Just got my order of 2" inserts in from Cherry tree and sure enough one does not work. Can not change the time on it. They are metal but have a grey plastic back. The past ones had a metal back. But right inside made in China sticker. Have to call on Monday. 

I hope to order my clocks tomorrow.. I was going to do it today but got sidetracked trying to repair my miter saw ( posted about in the General section ) and getting some scroll work done.. before I knew it the day was over... My one and only complaint about ordering clocks from Sloans.. they don't have a web site to order from.. either print out a order form and snail mail it in or call.. their time zone is different than mine.. so I can't do it early before I go out to the shop.. then I always get busy and forget until it's too late, LOL

Sorry to hear about one of the clocks not working.. I've personally never had any issues with the smaller clocks.. Had a terrible time with a batch of 3" from either not running at all or running way too slow or way to fast..LOL I think a bad batch must have escaped quality control.. still use the same style clocks and never had another issue since then..