I feel almost 'proper' now

Foxfold

Well, I went and bought some blades today from America.... After much listening and reading about scrolling, the one thing that keeps popping up is 'Flying Dutchman' blades. So I took the plunge and bought 3 kinds.  Ultra Reverse #5,, Scroll Reverse #2  and Jewellers #1.

Not sure I've enough experience to truly know what to do with them, but, nothing ventured nothing gained.  The Jewellers blade is purely because I've just found out that you can cut shapes into coins and thought ''I've got to try that''..   Jack of all Trades, Master of None as my mother used to say 🙂 

However, having put in my order, I now feel as though I'm almost a "proper" scroller  and  to top it all, my hubby has said he'll tilt my saw 🤗

Edited by Foxfold

15 minutes ago, Foxfold said:

Well, I went and bought some blades today from America.... After much listening and reading about scrolling, the one thing that keeps popping up is 'Flying Dutchman' blades. So I took the plunge and bought 3 kinds.  Ultra Reverse #5,, Scroll Reverse #2  and Jewellers #1.

Not sure I've enough experience to truly know what to do with them, but, nothing ventured nothing gained.  The Jewellers blade is purely because I've just found out that you can cut shapes into coins and thought ''I've got to try that''..   Jack of all Trades, Master of None as my mother used to say 🙂 

However, having put in my order, I now feel as though I'm almost a "proper" scroller  and  to top it all, my hubby as said he'll tilt my saw 🤗

Have searched out a source in the U.K.? I would think they would have to be cheaper and more accessible in your own country. Try searching under the name Niqua or something like that.

Edited by octoolguy

23 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Have searched out a source in the U.K.? I would think they would have to be cheaper and more accessible in your own country. Try searching under the name Niqua or something like that.

Yep, I have some Niqua blades,  I was just curious.  🙂  The FD blades only cost me £13.50 including postage  for 3 doz blades which works out at around 37p a blade so I thought it was worth it.  I'm a woman, I do these things  🤣

10 hours ago, Scrappile said:

never mind, you know about Niqua blades.

I do my friend, I was just being a spoilt brat,,, and buying something I wanted just because I can. 🙂  I do have Niqua blades but I've never bought anything from as far away as America and it was a 'flight of fancy',  It has made me smile and the price difference was negligible  plus I will never throw the packaging away but have them on my wall like a 'trophy' LOL.  Dont' worry, my husband thinks I'm daft too 🤭

Even with the disparity in out dollar and postage it's still much cheaper to purchase the blades from the US.
Example Olson pgt skip tooth pkt of 6 $11au from carbatec. compared to $4..00 au for a dozen from Wooden Teddy Bear.
Just and example, and I get them quite a bit cheaper again because I always purchase gross of various types of blades.

32 minutes ago, Foxfold said:

May I as what SSWC stands for so I can go and look ?

Scroll Saw Woodworking and Crafts.
It is a magazine, not sure how many times a year it comes out now, it used to be bi-monthly with a Christmas special.
The had a very popular and active forum when I belonged. It's been about 5 years since I looked at the forum, can't remember my password now ;)

Brenda, have a look at Gwinnet woodworkers on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/gwinnettwoodworkers

They have an impressive set of videos on scroll sawing and have just posted 2 on cutting coins. I like their show and tell segments. Hans Meyer is pretty good.
Kick back and chill out for few hours while you learn

Edited by John B

18 hours ago, John B said:

Even with the disparity in out dollar and postage it's still much cheaper to purchase the blades from the US.
Example Olson pgt skip tooth pkt of 6 $11au from carbatec. compared to $4..00 au for a dozen from Wooden Teddy Bear.
Just and example, and I get them quite a bit cheaper again because I always purchase gross of various types of blades.

I agree John.  I always get my blades from the Wooden Teddy bear.  So much cheaper then here even with postage.

Marg