Dremel Rotary Tools?

kmmcrafts

I've been looking at the Dremel tools contemplating whether to get one of these or buy the Seyco scrollers drill... I'd have ordered the Seyco drill today had it been in stock... anyway I decided to check out eBay for Dremel tools and ran across a WEN brand... and it really resembles one of the Dremel models.. upon further investigation.. I found that the attachments for the Dremel fit this WEN tool... upon further research I see Steve Good did a review of the tool.. Unfortunately his review showed the tool has quite a lot of runout on the drill chuck so i'm thinking it's probably not the greatest choice for what I'm looking to use it for.. but seem like a great tool with flex shaft for doing other things with it.. and they seem to be priced pretty low.. some on eBay as low as $20 maybe less yet as I didn't look through them too much..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wen-Rotary-Tool-Kit-2305-With-Flex-Shaft-Variable-Speed-Rotary-Tool-Kit/263820244985?epid=19021259043&hash=item3d6ce977f9:g:yLcAAOSwuqdaq-p2:rk:53:pf:0

Anyone have any experience with them?   

My main use for the Dremel will be to get a plunge router attachment for it and use it as a dedicated mini drill press for drilling the small pilot holes... and this plunge router attachment will only work with certain Dremel tools.. It appears that the WEN tool will mount into the plunge router tool.. so that was why I was asking about it.. I'd like to be able to just leave my drill press set up with the forestner bit for my clocks and get this Dremel or the Seyco scrollers drill for drilling my pilot holes..  

37 minutes ago, worbler said:

Wasn't there a video showing how to make a homemade plunge router attachment on the site somewhere? Dremel is so overpriced.

Yeah, I posted that video.. and I do agree about Dremels being over priced which is why I've been researching some other options.. I could build that homemade router to work on most any of the rotary tools.. Steve Good review of that WEN model and talked about how the shaft was a bit wobbly ( runout ) so I don't think it would be ll that actuate for a drill press.. I'll look into the Ozito brand you mentioned..  

4 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

My main use for the Dremel will be to get a plunge router attachment for it and use it as a dedicated mini drill press for drilling the small pilot holes... and this plunge router attachment will only work with certain Dremel tools.. It appears that the WEN tool will mount into the plunge router tool.. so that was why I was asking about it.. I'd like to be able to just leave my drill press set up with the forestner bit for my clocks and get this Dremel or the Seyco scrollers drill for drilling my pilot holes..  

I know this is probably overkill for you Kevin but this is what I have for my Dremel and I have 3 dremels but this is a precision tool for using the dremel or likewise tool for plunge routing or edge routing. I am from the school buy once and buy quality. I also have a few of dremel attachments but when I looked at their plunge routing attachment it was too cheaply made for any accuracy for me. Thus I went this route.http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Types_of_Tools/Routers_and_Bits/Routers/Precision_Router_Base.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=BS%3A%20Catchall&utm_term=457

5 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

I've been looking at the Dremel tools contemplating whether to get one of these or buy the Seyco scrollers drill... I'd have ordered the Seyco drill today had it been in stock... anyway I decided to check out eBay for Dremel tools and ran across a WEN brand... and it really resembles one of the Dremel models.. upon further investigation.. I found that the attachments for the Dremel fit this WEN tool... upon further research I see Steve Good did a review of the tool.. Unfortunately his review showed the tool has quite a lot of runout on the drill chuck so i'm thinking it's probably not the greatest choice for what I'm looking to use it for.. but seem like a great tool with flex shaft for doing other things with it.. and they seem to be priced pretty low.. some on eBay as low as $20 maybe less yet as I didn't look through them too much..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wen-Rotary-Tool-Kit-2305-With-Flex-Shaft-Variable-Speed-Rotary-Tool-Kit/263820244985?epid=19021259043&hash=item3d6ce977f9:g:yLcAAOSwuqdaq-p2:rk:53:pf:0

Thanks for the info Kevin. I just went online to H/D and purchased a Wen kit for $20 that comes with the flex cable and a bunch of accessories. That is less than buying just the flex cable from Dremel. I'm not worried about runout or anything like that. I just want to use it for sanding in tight areas. Earlier, I bought a set of 40 scotchbrite type buffing pads on 1/8" shafts and will use them in this new too. I think I got those for under $10 on Amazon. I'm all set now. Thanks again. Here's the one that I just bought.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-Rotary-Tool-Kit-with-Flex-Shaft-2305/203604481

Edited by octoolguy

Fortuitous topic. I just started looking at these kind of tools. 

This brand seems to be highly thought off in the model forums I looked at 

https://www.axminster.co.uk/proxxon-fbs-240-e-multitool-flexi-shaft-package-deal-718858?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhtOfz7TC3gIVEed3Ch3exQZiEAQYAyABEgKSDfD_BwE

Cheaper than the Dremel 4000 kit too 

Accessories look good quality

https://m.reichelt.com/gb/en/drill-stand-mbs140-s-proxxon-28606-p30207.html?CTYPE=0&MWSTFREE=0&PROVID=2788&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhtOfz7TC3gIVEed3Ch3exQZiEAQYCiABEgIKDfD_BwE&&r=1

Edited by Macman

13 minutes ago, Macman said:

Fortuitous topic. I just started looking at these kind of tools. 

This brand seems to be highly thought off in the model forums I looked at 

https://www.axminster.co.uk/proxxon-fbs-240-e-multitool-flexi-shaft-package-deal-718858?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhtOfz7TC3gIVEed3Ch3exQZiEAQYAyABEgKSDfD_BwE

Cheaper than the Dremel 4000 kit too 

Accessories look good quality

https://m.reichelt.com/gb/en/drill-stand-mbs140-s-proxxon-28606-p30207.html?CTYPE=0&MWSTFREE=0&PROVID=2788&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhtOfz7TC3gIVEed3Ch3exQZiEAQYCiABEgIKDfD_BwE&&r=1

The issue with the drill stand is that you're limited to the throat depth of the drill press.. which is why I was going with the plunge router design.. as you'd just set the base anywhere on your work piece to be drilled.. and plunge it down to drill the holes.. same issue with the jewelers drill hat someone else mentioned... I'd buy another drill press but I'll have the same issues as I do now with my limited 8" throat drill press.. rather than buy a drill press I was looking to buy a dremel or like tool and buy and or make the plunge router attachment.. so I have the ability to drill a hole anywhere I need it on very large projects..

6 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Thanks for the info Kevin. I just went online to H/D and purchased a Wen kit for $20 that comes with the flex cable and a bunch of accessories. That is less than buying just the flex cable from Dremel. I'm not worried about runout or anything like that. I just want to use it for sanding in tight areas. Earlier, I bought a set of 40 scotchbrite type buffing pads on 1/8" shafts and will use them in this new too. I think I got those for under $10 on Amazon. I'm all set now. Thanks again. Here's the one that I just bought.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-Rotary-Tool-Kit-with-Flex-Shaft-2305/203604481

Let me know how you like it.. I watched the review Steve Good did and he mentioned it had quite a bit of run out on it.. so I was thinking it might not be accurate enough for drilling the small hose where I need the tiny veining in projects.. My drill press is a crap shoot as to where the drill will actually go once it hits the wood.. been getting buy with it for a lot of years.. and works great for the forestner bits so just thought I'd buy / make mini drill that would be throat-less..  Steve Good has a review of this tool on youtube

5 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

The issue with the drill stand is that you're limited to the throat depth of the drill press.. which is why I was going with the plunge router design.. as you'd just set the base anywhere on your work piece to be drilled.. and plunge it down to drill the holes.. same issue with the jewelers drill hat someone else mentioned... I'd buy another drill press but I'll have the same issues as I do now with my limited 8" throat drill press.. rather than buy a drill press I was looking to buy a dremel or like tool and buy and or make the plunge router attachment.. so I have the ability to drill a hole anywhere I need it on very large projects..

I get you. Cracking idea. 

https://www.axminster.co.uk/proxxon-router-base-ofv-505907

I have a dremel with plunge router base that I use to drill all my holes. I have a small drill press in the garage but never set it up in my shop because I always ended up needing to drill a few holes in the middle of a project with the dremel. 

I can't speak to the run out on the non-dremel rotary tools, but I did replace all of the dremels I have at school with off brand rotary tools. We don't drill with them, just sanding, shaping and carving stuff, I think I have the tool shop versions. 

They usually run all kinds of sales this time of the year. That is when I picked up another 400 series one last year. Almost jumped in my cart from Home Depot. I am hoping they have another great sale on the Rigid shop vac this year. A couple years ago they had a tremendous sale on them for about $30 I picked up a couple. My Craftsman one died this year finally and that owed me nothing but have to use one of the Rigids and would like to replace and have a back up. 

I was just viewing projects at the Lumberjocks site and saw this.  This does not help getting to the middle of a very wide board to drill holes, but it would be an option for those with a drill press with a chuck that does not hold the real small bits.   I guess you could also buy some extra throat depth by rotating the jig so it holds the Dremel tool in the front the drill press head or further out to the side. 

2186809-438x.jpg

Edited by Scrappile

15 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

I bought this WEN last Xmas and I think it is cheaply made. I used it a couple of times only. I am not a heavy user. I would not buy it again.

My 2 cents.

Good luck

Sam

Has anybody got any experience with this tool? https://www.harborfreight.com/flexible-shaft-grinder-and-carver-40432.html

I was reading some of the reviews and it's a crapshoot. I will never own a Foredom tool unless I stumble onto a used one. Way too much for me to spend on it but this one, if it works decently is priced very well. Just curious since we are all on the subject.