What Table Saw To Buy?

kmmcrafts

8 minutes ago, tomsteve said:

a saleman will say the pile of poop he's selling is the best you can get so he gets the commission. :)

not sayin they arent a good saw. ive seen the cabinet saw with all the bells and whistles attached at the local rockler and was quite impressed.

That's why I was asking questions here... considering I don't claim to really know a lot about table saws.. so I could easily be talked into something I don't want or need.. LOL...

2 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

That's why I was asking questions here... considering I don't claim to really know a lot about table saws.. so I could easily be talked into something I don't want or need.. LOL...

Well, when you say stuff like this...

"Space isn't a huge problem..."

"Money isn't going to be a huge problem either.."

....we'll try to talk you into the biggest & best.  Just trying to give you your money's worth.  😆

By the way, I suggest not telling the salesman that space & money aren't a problem.  🤐

Seriously, I have a buddy that is getting into woodworking at the age of 61.  He's been asking me a ton of questions, but he always wants to jump right into doing and buying stuff without taking time to research.  Yesterday he was at Rockler looking at a $1,200 router table.  I keep trying to talk him down, but he gets excited when he sees cool new gadgets. 

On 11/12/2018 at 10:07 AM, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

You can get kickback on any saw. Sawstop will not prevent it. Many things come into play when talking kickback. Fence, runout of arbor, blade, feed position and so on. 

And reach. I had to let go. A bad situation. I can also remove the blade guard and keep the anti kickback pawls on. 

1 hour ago, Bill WIlson said:

....we'll try to talk you into the biggest & best.  Just trying to give you your money's worth.  😆

By the way, I suggest not telling the salesman that space & money aren't a problem.  🤐

Seriously, I have a buddy that is getting into woodworking at the age of 61.  He's been asking me a ton of questions, but he always wants to jump right into doing and buying stuff without taking time to research.  Yesterday he was at Rockler looking at a $1,200 router table.  I keep trying to talk him down, but he gets excited when he sees cool new gadgets. 

Well I did build a big shop for this reason.. but I still feel the need for a bigger shop, 😃

I'm thinking about this rig right here..

https://www.rockler.com/sawstop-1-75-hp-professional-table-saw-w-30-fence-rails-and-extension-table?sid=V9146?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=pla&utm_campaign=PL&gclid=CjwKCAiAiarfBRASEiwAw1tYvzobG7jpVDe9RZY_TwoELZK_24Ra3YpoUHPCG4Z0b_fgxD0El7e9exoCBgMQAvD_BwE

Edited by kmmcrafts

My son has that saw but with the 36 and T glide fence.  I would choose that fence as it is better.  

I have the same saw but the 3 hp version.  I also got the industrial mobile base which is not cheap but the best mobile base made.

I am too old to break down full sheets of plywood on the cabinet saw so use a Festool track saw to do that job.

3 hours ago, Bill WIlson said:

Hobbies are addictive. He should be very careful not to get interested in exotic sports cars.

3 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

I'm very surprised that for that kind of money, it's only got a 1.75 hp motor. I paid less for my Unisaw and it came with a 3 hp. I know that the SS saws are more expensive but why would they shortchange you on power.

4 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

I'm very surprised that for that kind of money, it's only got a 1.75 hp motor. I paid less for my Unisaw and it came with a 3 hp. I know that the SS saws are more expensive but why would they shortchange you on power.

I sort of thought the same thing about the smaller HP motor..  I figure though.. if it's not enough.. I can always put a small block V-8 in its place.. That's why i like the safety features of the Saw Stop saw 😂  

1 minute ago, kmmcrafts said:

I sort of thought the same thing about the smaller HP motor..  I figure though.. if it's not enough.. I can always put a small block V-8 in its place.. That's why i like the safety features of the Saw Stop saw 😂  

Well, in my way of thinking, that is something to dicker over. "I'll buy your saw, pay your price but I want the bigger motor". All they can do is say yes or no. I just got through selling something on C/L for my wife. I set my price. The prospective buyer said they would pay my price if I would consider delivering it about 25 miles away. I had already asked an inflated price figuring that I could come down but for that offer, we delivered it this morning. Everybody is happy.

5 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Another $300 and you have a 3HP saw. That is the professional saw which is basically the hobby saw but they are well built.  They control pricing and you will find that price anywhere you shop. The one thing you need to keep in mind with those saws any metal you trip, any material and it use to be trex use to do it because of the makeup, any pressure treated woods and there are some exotic, wet woods, that will trip that mechanism. Make sure the place you buy from tells you about sawstops policy of replacing brakes and blades. Does not come from vendor, but from sawstop.  There is a way to test your wood before you run it if you remember before you do. You can bypass the safety thing. They are a well built USA saw. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

5 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Well, in my way of thinking, that is something to dicker over. "I'll buy your saw, pay your price but I want the bigger motor". All they can do is say yes or no. I just got through selling something on C/L for my wife. I set my price. The prospective buyer said they would pay my price if I would consider delivering it about 25 miles away. I had already asked an inflated price figuring that I could come down but for that offer, we delivered it this morning. Everybody is happy.

They will say NO. saw stop controls pricing just as does Festool. That is why you always see one price no matter where you shop. Maybe sawstop will run a holiday sale. You can ask that question if the vendor knows. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

6 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

They will say NO. saw stop controls pricing just as does Festool. That is why you always see one price no matter where you shop. Maybe sawstop will run a holiday sale. You can ask that question if the vendor knows. 

A lot of your high end equipment is price by the manufacture.. like you said (Festool.. Another purchase I'm doing before the end of the year).. Stil does the same thing.. I think Fein also.. anyway yeah.. many companies do this price setting.. You can ( I have ) contact the company directly and sometimes do some dickering with them.. not real easy to do.. but have been there done that and won a great deal.. Did it years ago with a Stil chain saw..   

The 1.75 HP would not consern me at all. That’s plenty of power for a table saw. If not ur blade is dull or you’re doing something with the saw you shouldn’t be doing. With a good sharp blade that saw will do anything you ask with in reason. The only way I would go for more horse power is if running a professional cabinet shop probably get a longer life. 

That saw you’re looking at is a beauty!

i would also check out powermatic.

Sycamore nailed it.  The 3HP saws usually take 220.  On a non-cabinet saw, IMO the market is usually for fellows with

smaller shops and no 220.  The contractor saw fits pretty well.

If power of 1.75 becomes an issue, usually going with a 20 tooth rip blade, or 20 tooth thin kerf rip will turn the trick.

Pretty hard to slow down one of those.

Mark

2 hours ago, Brianr24 said:

The 1.75 HP would not consern me at all. That’s plenty of power for a table saw. If not ur blade is dull or you’re doing something with the saw you shouldn’t be doing. With a good sharp blade that saw will do anything you ask with in reason. The only way I would go for more horse power is if running a professional cabinet shop probably get a longer life. 

That saw you’re looking at is a beauty!

i would also check out powermatic.

i have a 1.75 hp in my contractor and havent come across anything that bothered it- even resawing 6 by 6 oak barn beams.

When hubby was looking at new table saws a few years ago, and hemmed and hawed about the Saw Stop due to the price, I told him to get it.  His work requires full use of his hands - I told him if it saved his fingers someday, it was worth every penny we spent on it. 😉 Especially with two kids in college. 😉☺️  He got the 3 HP because he did have a 220 in the workshop because he had one put in when we built the house.  We have recently added a couple more 220 plugs for some other equipment.  It can be done if your electrical panel has room for it. It has been a great saw.  As JT noted, there are things like wet wood that can throw it and you can bypass if you test and know that is the case as I recall.  The blades and break are pricy if you do throw it as I recall, but still a lot cheaper then a trip to the emergency room. 😉 Hubby, has not had an issue yet where he has cause it to be thrown.  But I am happy knowing that that safety feature is there should something go wrong.  Even with that, I will not use the table saw - anything I want or need done with the table saw I leave to him. 😍  I know he has been happy with the saw.

That 1.75 hp cabinet saw from Rockler looks great.  I understand the fellows promoting 3hp, but IMO the thing

you should look at adding would be the T-glide fence.  That fence is only available with the 36" extension table.

In the life of that saw perhaps there will be times you will miss the extra HP, but you will miss the T-glide fence

EVERY time you use the fence.  I really can't stress that enough.  At least compare the T-glide with the standard

fence just to see how I pick 'em.

Mark