Are any of you folks into making wooden gear stuff? Clocks or gizmos?

OCtoolguy

This a link to main site. On the bottom right side of the page is the link to the electronics. 

It may seem pricey but you get the coil, electronics and the battery pack. treat the coil with care, the wires are thin. 

Also polarity of the power source is critical. Someone had bought two circuits and could get neither of of the two clocks he built to run. I had him send me the electronics and it seems he had a "friend" rewire the battery pack connection and he reversed the polarity. Both now run perfectly. 

After I am done with my fair season I am going to look at the TRI and Daisy design, I have had feedback saying that the TRI pin spacing is too small.? 

https://carveshop.com/

Edited by Rolf

Here is another site that has some fun projects and a free piece of software for playing with gears.  He does a great job of explaining 'stuff'.  Its a little off topic from the 'clock' thread, but thought I would add it to the this great list of resources.  Happy Bird Day!  Russ

http://woodgears.ca/

He did an article on a clock tower he visited, interesting reading.

http://woodgears.ca/misc/clock_tower.html

Edited by Chiloquinruss

It is interesting taking on much longer term projects than normal. A lot of the projects are ones that can be done in a day or two.  Some of the clocks will take much longer and that is great.  These are more complicated projects but a feet of accomplishment when done.

I am finally finishing a project that I have been working on daily for almost 7 months.  It has been great but a lot of work for a long time.  It is just a different mind set than projects that take a day or two.

54 minutes ago, Sycamore67 said:

It is interesting taking on much longer term projects than normal. A lot of the projects are ones that can be done in a day or two.  Some of the clocks will take much longer and that is great.  These are more complicated projects but a feet of accomplishment when done.

I am finally finishing a project that I have been working on daily for almost 7 months.  It has been great but a lot of work for a long time.  It is just a different mind set than projects that take a day or two.

Hence, the need for more than one saw. I have a long-term project going now but in the meantime, I'm making a couple of Christmas gifts too. Couldn't do it with one saw.

A bit off topic, but I drag my 100 lb+ Hawk out of my basement once a year for our clubs woodworking show. I have decided this year that it is getting too heavy and difficult for me to do that, besides the fact of the risk of damaging my saw.  I have decided to buy another smaller saw.  I am looking at the King 16" , it would give me a different capability with the tilting head not table. Anyone have one? If so what do you think? And no I will never give up my Hawk.

6 minutes ago, Rolf said:

A bit off topic, but I drag my 100 lb+ Hawk out of my basement once a year for our clubs woodworking show. I have decided this year that it is getting too heavy and difficult for me to do that, besides the fact of the risk of damaging my saw.  I have decided to buy another smaller saw.  I am looking at the King 16" , it would give me a different capability with the tilting head not table. Anyone have one? If so what do you think? And no I will never give up my Hawk.

I do not have that saw or know anything about it but when you said you use to bring the Hawk out of the basement. Many years ago I use to do the same thing when I wanted to scroll out doors. I eventually got another Hawk and left the one in the shed but that all stopped. It use to be great to set the saw under a tree on a nice spring day and just scroll for hours. Different perspective than scrolling under man made lights. Now all is in the basement shop.