Another DW788 Lift Arm

Heli_av8tor

Here's my version of a lift arm for the DeWalt DW788. I know, how many ways are there to skin a cat. I wanted something very simple to build and use.

This design features a tapered catch that slides under the existing plastic housing by the speed control. The arm (1/8" x 1" aluminum) is positioned so that the latch pin normally sets about 3/8" away from the black plastic housing. The arm can be raised or lowered without interference. With the arm fully raised the latch pin clears the housing just enough to allow it to be pushed left to contact the yellow arm.

To latch the arm in the up position simply raise the arm with an up-turned right hand and use the thumb to push the lift arm to the left. Allow the arm to come down and trap the latch pin under the housing. To lower the arm simply lift it up and the latch pin pops away from the housing allowing the arm to drop.

The latch pin is a 1/4" x 20 flat head phillips screw. I'm sure it could have been used as is but I decided to turn a shoulder at the base of the head. This eliminates wedging the housing between the screw head and the nut.

The mounting holes in the lift need to be positioned accurately to keep the arm as high as possible but still allow the latch pin to clear the housing. The arm only droops about 1/8" when held up by the lift.

IMG_7832.JPG

IMG_7833.JPG

IMG_7827.JPG

IMG_7828.JPG

IMG_7829.JPG

IMG_7831.JPG

• 1 month later...

You wonder why Dewalt never added something to their saws. At least give people the option to have the arm lift automatically or disengage it and let it drop like it does now. After awhile that arm does get heavy. most saws they lift automatically. Still love my RBI. More and more each day and I did not think that was possible. Anyone ever asks me what saw to buy?? Without hesitation an RBI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best saw on the market.

After reading about all the Dewalt lift arm issues, I must be the odd man out. I've never lifted the arm to remove/move a blade. I've always just removed the blade top and bottom. I feed through the top, tighten the bottom thumb screw first then the top. I never look under the table. Am I the only Dewalt user that does This? Seems so much easier than wrestling with a lift arm. Becomes second nature in no time and pretty fast at it.

On 12/21/2018 at 2:30 PM, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

You wonder why Dewalt never added something to their saws. At least give people the option to have the arm lift automatically or disengage it and let it drop like it does now. After awhile that arm does get heavy. most saws they lift automatically. Still love my RBI. More and more each day and I did not think that was possible. Anyone ever asks me what saw to buy?? Without hesitation an RBI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best saw on the market.

There really is  no need to wonder John because it is the engineers and the bean counters.   There must be some Dewalt owners that feel a lift arm is useful otherwise there wouldn't be models on the market like the Jim Dandy lifter.    Just like I have stated in other posts once a scroll saw is on the market the manufacturers  just can't seem to admit any issue and then there are the beans counters.  Oh and by the way I have never test drove a Hawk but they would probably be my choice for a new saw.