New Hegner Multi-Max 22v on its way!

fisch2481

Congrats on the new saw.  I have some frustration with mine when i first tried it.  I even put is aside for a while then decided, I bought it, I have to figure it out.  I was breaking blades.  Advanced Machinery was a big help and answered every question I could come up with.  They told me they were going to stick with me until I loved the saw, and they did.  It all boiled down to getting comfortable with the tension.  Once I got the feel for it, no more problems and yep I love the saw.  Will not part with it.  I hope you purchased the "Quick Clamp" to go with it... sure makes life easier.

2 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Congrats on the new saw.  I have some frustration with mine when i first tried it.  I even put is aside for a while then decided, I bought it, I have to figure it out.  I was breaking blades.  Advanced Machinery was a big help and answered every question I could come up with.  They told me they were going to stick with me until I loved the saw, and they did.  It all boiled down to getting comfortable with the tension.  Once I got the feel for it, no more problems and yep I love the saw.  Will not part with it.  I hope you purchased the "Quick Clamp" to go with it... sure makes life easier.

Thanks Paul. You and I have talked many times about the Hegner saw that I had. I'm hoping this one doesn't have the same problem. As to the quick clamp, it has it already as well as the quick release arm. The only thing that I can tell so far is that it is missing the bellows. As suggested above, I may just install a vac system if I determine that this saw is what I am hoping it is. If not, well it will go back up for sale. I'm going to make room for it this time by selling my Dewalt. Somebody will get a very nice running saw if they buy it. Either way, I'm happy with my EX21 and I hope to have the same feeling with the Hegner. I realize there is a huge difference in how they operate but the last Hegner wasn't a problem once I got past the speed problem. Wish me luck. I'll find out on Monday.

Good luck with your new saw! I would say that the majority of our club members are using Hegner saws. One member for probably greater than 60 years. They are tough bullet proof saws, but like any tool will require routine maintenance. When I upgraded from my Delta SS350 I bought the Hawk G4 (in 2005) after trying both a Hegner and a Hawk at one of our club shows. It was a very difficult decision as they are both exceptional saws. The deciding factor for me was that the G4 was new to the market and had top feed capability.

The Hegner is and has been very well supported for a very long time. I look forward to seeing some pictures of it with sawdust.

3 hours ago, Rolf said:

Good luck with your new saw! I would say that the majority of our club members are using Hegner saws. One member for probably greater than 60 years. They are tough bullet proof saws, but like any tool will require routine maintenance. When I upgraded from my Delta SS350 I bought the Hawk G4 (in 2005) after trying both a Hegner and a Hawk at one of our club shows. It was a very difficult decision as they are both exceptional saws. The deciding factor for me was that the G4 was new to the market and had top feed capability.

The Hegner is and has been very well supported for a very long time. I look forward to seeing some pictures of it with sawdust.

Rolf, you got me to thinking. What if a person just reversed the blade holders on a Hegner and put the quick clamp under the table and put the other end above the table? Would it be that difficult to clamp the blade "blind" under the table? Just thinking out loud here. Or, maybe put quick clamps on both ends? There has to be a way to improve the Hegner blade clamping hassle.

17 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Rolf, you got me to thinking. What if a person just reversed the blade holders on a Hegner and put the quick clamp under the table and put the other end above the table? Would it be that difficult to clamp the blade "blind" under the table? Just thinking out loud here. Or, maybe put quick clamps on both ends? There has to be a way to improve the Hegner blade clamping hassle.

What blade clamping hassle??? They supply a place to hold the clamp just like RBI to insert blade lower clamp. There is a slot that runs down the entire front of the table so you can pull the blade down as far as you want when tilting piece to insert blade in hole and the upper clamp has a quick tension lever like RBI. If you want to top feed you need  a way to hold the arm down. RBI and Hegner saws are the cadillacs of saws on the market . They are a professional saw built to last a life time unlike a Dewalt. Thus the price differences. Blade changing can not be simplier on both the RBI and Hegner, Tons of room under the table to get your hands there no matter how big your hands are. 

I totally disagree with Kevins assessment on agressive cutting with a Dewalt over an RBI or Hegner but that is my opinion and am allowed to have it. I have all 3 saws and sawed on all 3 so have some experience here too. 

Dan you are going to love the saw. Just like with any saw there is a feeling out process but once dialed in you will love it. Good luck with your new toy.

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

4 minutes ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Congrats and good luck. Hope to see many projects come off that saw over the years. Enjoy it in good health. 

Yhey sure have not changed design much over all these years. I guess when you have a proven product you stick with it. 

Not too much to improve or change on them JT. As you said. I'm really hoping that the one I'm picking up Monday doesn't have the same speed issue that the last one had. I'll be very happy to find one that is a keeper. I really want saws with entirely different operating systems.

On 11/26/2018 at 8:02 PM, orangeman said:

My Hegner may have been damaged in shipping. The table is split into 2 parts by design for blade insert. The left and right of the table are not aligned properly. Discovered too late to send back.

I will Never, ever buy a saw that has to be shipped via UPS or fedEx to my home.

Already had to send one Hawk back because of vibration. Shipping issue? who knows.

bb

I’d call advanced machinery. I’ve had nothing but great service from them and I bought both of mine secondhand.

On 11/30/2018 at 3:15 PM, octoolguy said:

Not too much to improve or change on them JT. As you said. I'm really hoping that the one I'm picking up Monday doesn't have the same speed issue that the last one had. I'll be very happy to find one that is a keeper. I really want saws with entirely different operating systems.

Ray,

I was surprised and disappointed that you didn't love your first Hegner.  Fingers crossed this one is better. 

Rob

Congratulations on your new Hegner.   I have the same saw only mine is a 2008 model.   I have found it to be a very well built reliable saw.   Like others have said there is a learning curve with a Hegner as there is with any scroll saw.   One thing I have found with mine is the amount of blade tension required is higher than other saws I have owned.   I have also made some modifications to my saw that make it more user friendly.   

Edited by stoney

13 hours ago, Rob said:

Ray,

I was surprised and disappointed that you didn't love your first Hegner.  Fingers crossed this one is better. 

Rob

I was too Rob. I am praying this one hasn't got the same issue. It was probably something that could have been solved by either a new controller or motor. Neither of which was in my budget. If this one has the same problem, I will have to chalk it out to my problem and not the saw. I will find out tomorrow.

On 12/2/2018 at 4:09 PM, octoolguy said:

I was too Rob. I am praying this one hasn't got the same issue. It was probably something that could have been solved by either a new controller or motor. Neither of which was in my budget. If this one has the same problem, I will have to chalk it out to my problem and not the saw. I will find out tomorrow.

How's the Hegner you checked out?